Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I mean can i decide not to go to my firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudokung)
    all my other offers are AAB as well, so if I firm Warwick and Insurance LSE and I still decide to reject Warwick and go to LSE??
    Read the first post in the thread I've moved this into.

If you've been lucky enough to get an AAB offer out of LSE and that's where you want to go, firm it. It is unlikely in the extreme that Warwick would accept you with ABB - which is the most you would have if you miss your LSE offer. There's nothing to stop you from putting it down as your insurance but frankly it's a waste of time if you really don't mind going straight into Clearing. I'd suggest Manchester, myself.

The other points you might like to bear in mind are (a) that Warwick's Business School is one of the most renowned internationally - arguably more so than LSE (for Business, before anybody flames me) which is why their offer is higher - they can get people with those grades to sign up, (b) LSE don't seem to me to treat their undergrads that well, and (c) London is extremely expensive to live in.

And no, you can't accept Warwick as your firm and go to LSE on the day if you meet your Warwick offer or you don't and they accept you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Eh? Is there a typo in there somewhere?
    Think the third 'and' is meant to be 'can'

all my other offers are AAB as well, so if I firm Warwick and Insurance LSE and I still decide to reject Warwick and go to LSE??
    I'm replying as if the third 'and' is 'can'.

No, you can't decide to reject Warwick when you have your results.

ReputationRep:
    I guess i will have to firm LSE and insurance KCL then

ReputationRep:
    I guess i will have to firm LSE and insurance KCL then
    You don't have to insure somewhere you don't want to go. If LSE is your favourite and the only other one you want to go to is Warwick, you can either insure Warwick (waste of time, IMO) or go without an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that bit about once you've made you firm that you might not hear back from them for months. I was kind of expecting something but nothing has come apart from the UCAS letter. Still happy though about my choice even if they haven't said anything.

ReputationRep:
    I am in a panic state at the moment and tried searching first, but to no avail.

A few simple questions really:
    1) If you accept an offer on UCAS and make it your firm choice, are you able to withdraw from that choice after you receive your results?

For example, I hold an offer for Biomedical Science which I will only take if I achieve low grades. If I get my desired grades I would rather re-apply for medicine in the 2012 cycle. Is this possible or am I forced to take this accepted place?

2) If you withdraw from your firm choice on/after results day (providing this is possible) are you eligible to enter clearing?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CynicaL)
    I am in a panic state at the moment and tried searching first, but to no avail.

A few simple questions really:
    1) If you accept an offer on UCAS and make it your firm choice, are you able to withdraw from that choice after you receive your results?

For example, I hold an offer for Biomedical Science which I will only take if I achieve low grades. If I get my desired grades I would rather re-apply for medicine in the 2012 cycle. Is this possible or am I forced to take this accepted place?

2) If you withdraw from your firm choice on/after results day (providing this is possible) are you eligible to enter clearing?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes on results day if you dont want to go to your firm, you can ring them up and ask them to release you, this will take you straight into clearing. You can then either apply to a place in clearing or reapply.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's easy to withdraw and to not go to uni.

If you wish to enter Clearing then you need to get your firm to release you - but they do not have to and this will take a while. It can take up to 2 weeks by which time all the good places will have gone.

ReputationRep:
    I have got four out of five offers on my UCAS. My last choice still has not replied on my UCAS but have called me for an interview which I have accepted to go to (but it's highly unlikely I will choose that uni).

How and when do I accept my choices?
    When do I apply for student finance?

Much help needed, thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Question
    I need to pick an insurance uni, and I have two possible choices: Nottingham (AAB, B in biology) and Warwick (AAA) for English and French. My firm choice will also be a AAA offer. The obvious thing would be to insure Nottingham, the thing is that if I drop a grade in a subject, it's unlikely to be biology (because of good modules so far I only need to average an E in the last 2 modules to get an A overall). So if I do drop to a B in something, it will probably be in English or French, so I'd miss both offers. I prefer Warwick to Nottingham, so would I be better to insure Warwick? Or are nottingham likely to be more flexible if I miss the offer?

I'm not sure how clear I've been here, hopefully you understand my problem. In theory I shouldn't have a problem getting my AAA anyway, but I'd still ideally like some sort of insurance, just in case.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folie)
    I'm not sure how clear I've been here, hopefully you understand my problem.
    Not very clear at all. How does the high likelihood that you will get an A in biology mean that the Nottingham offer is a poor insurance? If you get an A in biology the B can be in something else.

ReputationRep:
    Not very clear at all. How does the high likelihood that you will get an A in biology mean that the Nottingham offer is a poor insurance? If you get an A in biology the B can be in something else.
    No it can't. Sorry. I have to get AA in English and French, and at least a B in biology. So getting an A in bio wouldn't allow me to get a lower grade in another subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Folie)
    No it can't. Sorry. I have to get AA in English and French, and at least a B in biology. So getting an A in bio wouldn't allow me to get a lower grade in another subject.
    Ah. You didn't tell us that. Some insurance (even if dodgy) is obviously better than no insurance. I don't have a clue who might be more flexible and I don't suppose even they do at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    Ah. You didn't tell us that. Some insurance (even if dodgy) is obviously better than no insurance. I don't have a clue who might be more flexible and I don't suppose even they do at this stage.
    Yeah I realise that wasn't clear now, sorry. I don't know if one university has been more flexible in the past with missed grades? Obviously it's going to vary year on year, but is there any way of making an educated guess on which might be more lenient?

ReputationRep:
    I've already made a thread about this, but it was a bit more convoluted! So I need to decide between the two, any opinions?

Which is considered nicer/better, anything about the environment, course, teaching etc please post! Thanks

My course is Electronic engineering btw.

(Plus I know I made a UCL firmers thread, after visiting Warwick again I've been made unsure!)

ReputationRep:
    warwick have a good rep with maths, science and electronics. then again UCL has that branded reputation..... either uni is good but me i would go to UCL

honestly

ReputationRep:
    Warwick all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to live on a campus in the middle of nowhere or in a city with lots to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Do you want to live on a campus in the middle of nowhere or in a city with lots to do?
    That's the big question! Warwick was peaceful and homely whereas UCL was big and majestic and noisy. I've no clue!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.