Turn on thread page Beta

Would you date someone who listens to Phil Collins? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zBenHz)
    As long as you're not a drum playing gorilla you should be fine.
    Is that advert still being shown on tv lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd_No_More)
    Definitely. Phil is one of Britain's best artists ever. A true musician, he sings, plays drums, plays keyboards and writes interesting and meaningful songs.

I didn't like the Peter Gabriel era Genesis....the band got better when Phil stepped out to front the band. Genesis in the 80s were amazing. I like 'Abacab' a lot too, but yeah 'Invisible Touch' is a classic album.

We won't see the likes of Collins again. Sadly, he gets a lot of hatred in the press in the UK, but they're idiots to talk **** about him. Very few artists can match Phil's level of tallent, versatility, creativity and success.

Forget all the **** music today, Phil comes from an era where musicians wrote their own songs and played their own instruments. Nowadays the music world is so fake.
    A little confession to make now (I thought that that speech was quite well known). I was quoting Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (although I took out some parts to do with the plot). I suppose that the film was trying to show that a psychopath can have what other people might regard as relatively mainstream tastes - that they appear like other people (indeed, at the end of the film he tells people that he is a murderer and they all take it as a joke).

It is the kind of review that I would write though! I wouldn't say anything as restrictive as 'In Too Deep is THE most moving pop song of the 1980s' though!

Personally I do like Invisible Touch, You'll be in my heart, Two hearts, Dance in to the light and I wish it would rain down.

Nothing mainstream about being able to write so many memorable songs (I wish it would rain down is outstanding). But he did have a lot of success so, in terms of being underappreciated, some other musicians have a lot more claim to that.

ReputationRep:
    uh, hello? Christian Bale?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    Having a taste in music that you have thought about and enjoy for its own sake ****s on liking vacuous dubstep because some ****bags tell you that its cool.

Also, Phil Collins is brilliant.
    Who the **** could possibly take issue with that!!!!!!!?????

ReputationRep:
    yes, of course, i like genesis! i'm 17...

the only music that would put me off someone is if they're into that death core crap, because most of them are really pretentious and arrogant... same goes for "indie kids" tbh... anyone who is up themselves and think they listen to "real" music and everyone else is a sheep for liking "mainstream" or whatever... i like mainstream, i like a lot of different music... get over yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Genesis are awesome, but I'd happily listen to Peter Gabriel any day of the week over Phil Collins. Not hating on Phil I just think Peter Gabriel is so much better =)

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much cannot stand music nowadays, haven't a clue whats even out now. I pretty much live in the 70's and 80's when it comes to music and currently have a mix cd with some Philly in my car- When Against All Odds came on my friends in my car started complaining about the 'crap music', so what did i do? I turned it up damn loud.

Think my biggest folder of music is Phil and Genesis actually, too many amazing songs.

ReputationRep:
    If someone's going to be put off you just because of your music taste, they're really not worth your time.
    Phil Collins is great!

ReputationRep:
    I can feel it Trollin' in the air tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you honestly worry about this?

And anyway, you shouldn't ever be ashamed of your likes/dislikes. Be proud of who you are and don't ever change for anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd_No_More)
    I'm a big music fan and one of my favourite artists is Phil Collins and Genesis. I've got all his albums and dvds and stuff. The problem is, a lot of my friends have told me it's 'not cool' to listen to Phil Collins or Genesis because it's apparently 'music only your parents listen to'.

Now I want to know, if I get any dates, should I mention I like Phil's music? I don't want to put any girls off, but at the same time his music is a big part of my life so why should I change who I am just for a girl?

I like 80s music, love songs, ballads and up-tempo music, not so much the modern stuff.

How would a girl between 17 to 24 react to this? Perhaps I should only go for older women because they're more likely to be into his music.

Cheers.
    This problem can be easily solved by suicide you know
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by dews1290)
    Genesis are awesome, but I'd happily listen to Peter Gabriel any day of the week over Phil Collins. Not hating on Phil I just think Peter Gabriel is so much better =)
    In terms of the work they did in genesis and their respective solo careers, Gabriel is better. More interesting music and lyrical themes which most artists wouldn't dream of touching (Biko, anyone?)

Phil Collins can write cracking pop songs - but not cracking prog rock songs.

ReputationRep:
    phil collins aint that bad

ReputationRep:
    Yea 80's music is pro. **** radio 1, heart all the way

ReputationRep:
    I hate these 'Would you date someone who..' treads.

Who cares what they're into, and what OTHER people might think of them. If you like them, then freakin' date them!

ReputationRep:
    Listen, you can't hurry love, no you'll just have to wait.

ReputationRep:
    Against All Odds, I think you will succeed in your romantic endeavours, although You Can't Hurry Love. Just let the girls know that you are an Easy Lover, and that when they are with you, it's just Another Day In Paradise. The Least You Can Do is Hang In There Long Enough with a girl. Remember, No Matter Who the girl is, That's Just The Way It Is and she has to accept you completely.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Sorry, just couldn't resist slipping that in there

ReputationRep:
    Your 'friends' are morons. You have some really good taste in music. I like 80s music too.

EDIT: http://absolute80s.com/

ReputationRep:
    I do date someone who loves Phil Collins. Oh, I do alright.

(Original post by dews1290)
    Love a bitta Peter Gabriel.

"I wanna be (DUUUUH-) your sledgehammer!" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I like Gabriel Genesis better (especially Selling England and The Lamb) but this girl should still go out with you... however if you Can't Dance then it may be a different matter.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2011
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.