Turn on thread page Beta

iwantcheese5's Mazda RX-8 231 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I was surprised to see Amsoil and K&N do so badly to be honest!

I know the more expensive K&N systems with the full induction kit have proven dyno results but of course they don't tell you how well it is protecting against dirt, it is just assumed!
    A filter bypass would give results on the dyno, but not a lot of protection! Problem is how do you identify a fault and trace it to a filter not doing it's job well enough? Blocked is easy, not enough filtration is hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    This is an interesting read if you've got a few minutes spare.. I've been working in a factory making fuel filters for the last few months (possibly one of the dullest jobs on earth) and they make both OE and after market filters, and it's quite interesting to see that whilst some use identical parts, other types have very different specs and quality control standards (OE are invariably higher, but externally there's no visible differences - other than possibly the manufacturer's name).
    Nice looking car though! Not quite my cup of tea but I'd love to have a blast in one. By the way a rotary engine is also known as a W.ankel engine, after the bloke who designed it, but the swear filter still doesn't like the name! Just out of interest, how's the RX-8 engine on the tips? I seem to remember at least one of the Mazda rotarys went through the tips in no time at all.
    Doesn't that article essentially show that the K&N filter allows the greatest air flow? Which is what the main aim and claim of the filter is. Though at the cost of poorer filtering... My main reason for getting the K&N is the fact it's reusable, thus saving a fair amount of money in the long run....

I know the engine is known as a Wan kel engine, I was just being an arse with the comment about rotary....and I think Mazda fixed a lot of the problems with rotary engines when it came to the Renesis.

ReputationRep:
    I had an rx8 for about 4 years, loved it, the fuel was absolutely terrible on it though. Driving an R32 at the moment but seriously considering just getting like an a3 diesel or a golf tdi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantcheese5)
    Doesn't that article essentially show that the K&N filter allows the greatest air flow? Which is what the main aim and claim of the filter is. Though at the cost of poorer filtering... My main reason for getting the K&N is the fact it's reusable, thus saving a fair amount of money in the long run....
    Sort of.. when it starts filtering out dirt the restriction rises rapidly, unlike some of the other filters, so it's then more restrictive and filtering less than some of the other manufacturers. Sounds like you'd be better off with a straight through really! I'm not sure it's going to save you much money, especially relative to what you'll pay for fuel and oil in that time..

ReputationRep:
    Sort of.. when it starts filtering out dirt the restriction rises rapidly, unlike some of the other filters, so it's then more restrictive and filtering less than some of the other manufacturers. Sounds like you'd be better off with a straight through really! I'm not sure it's going to save you much money, especially relative to what you'll pay for fuel and oil in that time..
    Filters are about £10 for a paper one each year and I paid a bit over £30 for the K&N so 3 years and I've broken even Just because it's a small saving doesn't mean you should discount it. To be honest I'll probably swap to an AEM induction kit before then but that's a side issue.

ReputationRep:
    Filters are about £10 for a paper one each year and I paid a bit over £30 for the K&N so 3 years and I've broken even Just because it's a small saving doesn't mean you should discount it. To be honest I'll probably swap to an AEM induction kit before then but that's a side issue.
    I'd read the service schedule and find the local motor factors personally! Air filters are normally replaced every two years not every year, and I've normally paid £4-5 for an air filter (don't buy anything for a service at Halfords unless you have a trade card). Eventually it'll work out more expensive, but I'd pay that to have more consistent and effective air filtration - at the recommended interval and motor factor prices you won't break even on a K&N for 12-14 years.

ReputationRep:
    I'd read the service schedule and find the local motor factors personally! Air filters are normally replaced every two years not every year, and I've normally paid £4-5 for an air filter (don't buy anything for a service at Halfords unless you have a trade card). Eventually it'll work out more expensive, but I'd pay that to have more consistent and effective air filtration - at the recommended interval and motor factor prices you won't break even on a K&N for 12-14 years.
    I'm mostly going on ebay prices but the filters for an RX-8 cost £10-£20 on there, and it was a similar story with the 300ZX I had previously. It might be as cheap as you suggest if you own something like a Pug 207 but performance cars are a different matter. Also Halfrauds don't have air filters for the rex according to their website...

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, its not like we are driving through the desert, air filters in this country have a pretty easy life because most of the time the roads are wet and the dust is stuck to the ground. So, meh, it's interesting to see that a direct replacement K&N is not as good as OEM maybe, but it wouldn't deter me because of the increase in performance you get. Everything is a compromise!

ReputationRep:
    nice pedo bear sticker LOL.

you could go mental with tuning on rotarys.

Just dont subscribe to all the JDM *******s. too many morons get stuck in the "it must be JDM" mindset and obsess over having over priced JDM uprated parts just so they can have the "bride" "HKS" or whatever label on their car.

ReputationRep:
    what is the JDM thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    what is the JDM thing?
    Japanese Domestic Market, it's one of the current modifying "scenes" along with the "euro" look. I think the sticker bombing fad may have come from the JDM scene. I'm not sure but the "drifter" look may also be part of the JDM look. Personally I just wanted some fun stickers for my car to personalise it a little before I get round to doing more major things. I've since added a few more stickers ...

Also I'm planning to start doing the wiring for a subwoofer installation in the boot recess as soon as I've finished uni work.

ReputationRep:
    Spent several hours carefully routing a power cable from the battery down the centre console and all the way to the boot yesterday in preparation of fitting a subwoofer. For the moment I've got my housemate's subwoofer fitted in the boot in a generic sub-enclosure to test everything's working and because it wasn't being used. Anyway it sounds pretty good, just need to sort out my own subwoofer etc now.

Pictures:

Housemate in boot to reach cables fed through...I probably should have been doing something useful at the time but thought a photo was in order...

Centre console missing...was a bit of a chore to remove but only took 5mins to reassemble once I knew what the hell I was doing. I did nearly lose some tools when I forgot they were still in there...

ReputationRep:
    what's this thread about exactly?

are you selling it? or walking us through the upgrades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High As A Kite)
    what's this thread about exactly?

are you selling it? or walking us through the upgrades?
    It's a build thread, something that's common on most motoring forums. Its so that I can document what gets done to the car. Reading them can be a good source of ideas, or at least I find them interesting to read .

Won't be selling for a long, long time!

ReputationRep:
    In 4 turbo build.

Come on, you know you want to :devil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    In 4 turbo build.

Come on, you know you want to :devil:
    If I had the money I would supercharge it rather than turbocharge it; my previous car was a twin turbo and the lag was a bit annoying. Also what do you mean by in 4? Inline 4 cylinder?

(Original post by warrenpenalver)
    nice pedo bear sticker LOL.

you could go mental with tuning on rotarys.

Just dont subscribe to all the JDM *******s. too many morons get stuck in the "it must be JDM" mindset and obsess over having over priced JDM uprated parts just so they can have the "bride" "HKS" or whatever label on their car.
    I'm only fussed about JDM parts for things like wheels, where I just prefer the look of a nice set of Rays or similar. Though I would quite like the HKS system for the rex as I think it's actually one of the best systems around.

My main tuning aim for the moment is to get the car closer to 200bhp/tonne, which means 270bhp at stock weight...I'm not that interested in making a dyno queen I like to drive my car and don't want it to be nasty to drive.

ReputationRep:
    If I had the money I would supercharge it rather than turbocharge it; my previous car was a twin turbo and the lag was a bit annoying. Also what do you mean by in 4? Inline 4 cylinder?
    I just meant "In for..."

Superchargers are better for a daily car, but the RX-8 isn't exactly known for being a torque monster. Then again I've never actually driven one myself. I've driven an FC RX7 and loved it. Now I'm looking to see if it's feasible to export one back home, where they barely exist.

BTW, forgot to say, beautiful car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    I just meant "In for..."

Superchargers are better for a daily car, but the RX-8 isn't exactly known for being a torque monster. Then again I've never actually driven one myself. I've driven an FC RX7 and loved it. Now I'm looking to see if it's feasible to export one back home, where they barely exist.

BTW, forgot to say, beautiful car
    Well I just realised that turbos give more torque....now I don't know what to do as I thought superchargers did...but the lag is still a bit annoying.

The RX-8 is pretty much a perfect car in my mind, it's practical enough for most people and still a bloody good drivers car. Anyway she looks a lot better now I've finally taken the time to clean her again, was a right dirty *****...

ReputationRep:
    Pictures after cleaning:

Stickers added couple of weeks ago:

And I have actually done a lap of the 'ring, not just being a nob...

ReputationRep:

I'm only fussed about JDM parts for things like wheels, where I just prefer the look of a nice set of Rays or similar. Though I would quite like the HKS system for the rex as I think it's actually one of the best systems around.

My main tuning aim for the moment is to get the car closer to 200bhp/tonne, which means 270bhp at stock weight...I'm not that interested in making a dyno queen I like to drive my car and don't want it to be nasty to drive.
    Powerhouse Amuse and J's Racing is where its at! :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 31, 2011
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.