The Student Room Group

Do girls REALLY get jealous of other girls + how often does this happen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RahRah09
Of course it happens, we just live in vaguely polite British society where people don't tend to cause a scene.

For example, if a girl likes a guy and then she sees him with another girl she won't run up to them both and scratch their eyes out, will she? She'll put on the "no emotions face" and go home and complain to her friends about how totally ugly that girl is and her friends will agree that she is definitely 1000 times better and the only reason that guy was getting with the other girl is because she's a slag and he knows he can get some. Whether or not any of these comments about the girl in question is true.. well, the bitching will make the jealous girl feel a little bit better.

Ta da.

soo true
:facepalm:

Just because women don't go round acting like they're on EastEnders or something doesn't mean that they are incapable of experiencing and/or displaying jealousy.
Original post by babz07
yeah hunny it exists! very rarely its proper jealousy, most of the time its 'low-level' jealousy about something little.

Ha, very true forgot to mention that, yes, it usually is very trivial but all the major stuff that happens on TV don't get landed on us I guess that's why.
Reply 23
Original post by JunePlum
You realise that you are being quite naive. Right?
Jealousy isn't always that obvious.

Exactly, a girl who's jealous of another girl isn't just going to come out and say "I dislike her because she is prettier/taller/ thinner than me". Just because they don't openly admit it doesn't mean that they're not jealous.
From what I've seen, when girls (or a certain type of girl tbf) give really vague reasons for disliking someone like "oh she's so fake" or "she thinks she's all that" its often just a cover up for their own jealousy.
Reply 24
I'm jealous of Marina Johnson.
Reply 25
Jealousy in healthy amounts mostly, IF it happens at all - which is rare. My girl friends love each other and there's no bitching. I've studied in an all girls' school for 14 years and have spent my high school there. There is NO cat fights as they show in movies and occasional tv soaps. Some of us bitch, but even boys do it - just they don't call it 'bitching' then.
Reply 26
well when girls have a problem with each other it seems to be bitching and behind the scenes and secretive, and they can hold one hell of a grudge.

If guys have a problem with each other they tend to confront the person, they might fight but after that the issue is resolved more or less.
Yes.

A lot.

But tbh, so do guys.

Maybe not as much, and they might not admit it, but they do.
Reply 28
I'm not like that and I choose to be friends with people who aren't like that either. Obviously everyone encounters the odd miserable bitch every now and then, but unless you choose to hang around with that sort of crowd, I'd say it's pretty easy for girls to avoid jealousy/rivalry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JunePlum
You realise that you are being quite naive. Right?
Jealousy isn't always that obvious.
Such a pity you can't read girls' thoughts.:sadnod:

Girls can be victims of jealousy as well as being guilty of jealousy (usually trivial jealousy though).

JunePlum :biggrin:

Girls are jealous creatures. Boys are jealous creatures. We just have the bro code and we know when to move on to the next admiring lady.
It depends on the girl. Some girls are like that , I've heard of people stopping being friends because of that. I'm not like that I don't think I've ever really gotten jealous.
Reply 31
Original post by robotwars

all of them seem so friendly and close to each other, like they'd do anything for one another. even if they arent close friends, they will still be super friendly to each other. i dont notice any jealousy between any girls.

get close to one of the girls and you'll see how much she'll bitch about other girls, even her friends, behind their backs to you. I have personal experience. They're all friendly on the outside, but inside they can have a burning hatred for that person.
Reply 32
The OP has a point. Men when fuelled with testosterone will fight each other over some girl.

You'll notice that if you go to a nightclub where the boys outnumber the girls lots of fights will take place.

So as girls don't have this testosterone they don't get as jealous, aggressive and competative.
Reply 33
Competing with other women tends to occupy most women's mental space. When most girls say to others 'oh you're so pretty, I wish I had your...' they're pretty much certain to bitch about that girl to another within the hour and say how slutty or unattractive she is.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending