Should Britain be in the EU? (Just need a poll answered to help with a project) Watch

Poll: Should Britain be in the EU?
Yes (101)
48.1%
No (96)
45.71%
Unsure (13)
6.19%
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Will Lucky)
The EU Parliament doesn't have any real power though. If I recall, it votes on some laws and can't propose any legislature.
I'm afraid that's a rather outdated view.

The EU Commission can propose laws and alongside the courts enforces them. Neither are an electable body. The citizens of Europe do not have a say in how this body runs.
The people of Europe certainly do have a say - the Commission is accountable to the Parliament. In modern times, the President of the Commission is appointed as a member of the largest political bloc in the European Parliament and serves at their pleasure.

Judges of the ECJ are appointed by consensus amongst the democratic governments of member-states.
NS17
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fully integrating into the EU this late in the game would be a mistake, we've passed up the majority of the benefits already.
f00ddude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
theres not enough reason to be in the EU at the moment, now that the EU is letting more and more poorer eastern European countries into the EU, the disadvantages are starting to out weigh the advantages
the EU can't simply cater for the rich countries such as UK, France and Germany whilst at the same time including countries like romania
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NS17)
Fully integrating into the EU this late in the game would be a mistake, we've passed up the majority of the benefits already.
We are fully intergrated... i dunno what your talking about with benefits either, we have more than a lot of EU countries, you clearly dont study politics
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by f00ddude)
We are fully intergrated... i dunno what your talking about with benefits either, you clearly dont study politics
Nonsense. The UK has a huge range of opt-outs and special concessions within the EU. Not to mention the myriad of optional schemes which fall under the EU banner like the Schengen system or the single currency.
NS17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are fully intergrated... i dunno what your talking about with benefits either, we have more than a lot of EU countries, you clearly dont study politics
You clearly don't study Economics.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Nonsense. The UK has a huge range of opt-outs and special concessions within the EU. Not to mention the myriad of optional schemes which fall under the EU banner like the Schengen system or the single currency.
we have the opt outs as Britain was very sceptical of the EU when we joined and therefore negotiated ourselves a better contract than others could due to our global position and power (this was years ago remeber)
the euro isnt worth mentioning when talking about the EU tbh, there is a seperate body within the EU controlling that and therefore doesnt effect the main bodies policies that much
We are not using all the services but we are deffinatley fully intergrated, and the loss of the UK would be a massive blow to the EU
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NS17)
You clearly don't study Economics.
i think in this issue the politics side matters more, but i studied A level economics and my politics degree has an economics module on international trade which only has a few topics on the EU, which are just outlining the agreements in place to help trade in the EU. nd tbh, you study at UWE, not greatly known for politics infact, ranked 50 something isnt it? (i turned it down last year)
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
we have the opt outs as Britain was very sceptical of the EU when we joined and therefore negotiated ourselves a better contract than others could due to our global position and power (this was years ago remeber)
Nope. Securing opt-outs is current policy too.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Nope. Securing opt-outs is current policy too.
ok, dont see why thats relevent as its kinda obvious
i was just stating that we are fully intergrated but we have more options due to our power as a country and economy, we are still fully integrated. We follow the same rules of paying the EU money, allowing the immigration, following the european courts and so on
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If the EU was still a union built around a trading network and possibly a council to present a common opinion to the world then I'd say yes, but it's meddling more and more with individual countries.
Azog 150
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes.

Leaving would do us nothing but harm. What we need to do, rather then sitting on the sidelines and moaning when things don't go our way as we currently do, is get much more involved and use our potential sway to make things go our way.

People sit and complain that Paris and Berlin are the real rulers of the EU, but thats because they get involved and put the effort in. How can Britain expect decisions to benefit us when we are busy trying to pretend the EU doesn't exist?

If we left the EU, the EU would still be able to hold a great deal of economic and even political influence over us, and yet we would have sacrificed our ability to sway the EU.

You don't win a boxing match by leaving the ring or standing at the sidelines.
ItsSuperdan15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Samwest1992)
It should be down to the democratically elected UK government to decide whether prisoners get the vote, and not a non-British and non-democratic entity. The EU clearly doesn't serve our interests.
I was under the impression that it's not the EU that makes that decision, but the European Court of Human Rights which, unlike the EU, is supranational.

I am not up to speed with all the goings on to be fair. I know because of blind nationalism we didn't join when we should have and suffered because of it However I am unsure how much Britain's economic position has changed since then and how important the EU is in that.
NS17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i think in this issue the politics side matters more, but i studied A level economics and my politics degree has an economics module on international trade which only has a few topics on the EU, which are just outlining the agreements in place to help trade in the EU. nd tbh, you study at UWE, not greatly known for politics infact, ranked 50 something isnt it? (i turned it down last year)
Yeah, it's ranked about 50. Don't think I'm qualified to call you out or something? Obviously, your 'prestigious' institution could use a few tweaks on that Politics course they're running.

Blatantly, your degree in Politics makes you an infallible resource on the subject yet your inability to correctly construct sentences directly harms your credibility.
I don't even study Economics (ranked 8th as you seem to be big on tables http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-economics) or Politics here and it's startlingly clear that you're talking out of your arse.

It's obvious to even the 3rd class Politics students that Economics is the single most important influence on Politics, thought they'd have at least made that clear at where ever you study.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NS17)
Yeah, it's ranked about 50. Don't think I'm qualified to call you out or something? Obviously, your 'prestigious' institution could use a few tweaks on that Politics course they're running.

Blatantly, your degree in Politics makes you an infallible resource on the subject yet your inability to correctly construct sentences directly harms your credibility.
I don't even study Economics (ranked 8th as you seem to be big on tables http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...uide-economics) or Politics here and it's startlingly clear that you're talking out of your arse.

It's obvious to even the 3rd class Politics students that Economics is the single most important influence on Politics, thought they'd have at least made that clear at where ever you study.
why would say im chatting ****? do a bit of research on the subject, i learnt a lot of the basic infomation on this subject at A level. And yes politics is pretty much all based on economics, but that does not make them the same thing
economics is hardly going to explain why Britain are not intervening in lybia in the same degree that politics would, even though a strong base of the reason is the economics of it all. and thats the same for the EU, Economics will not explain in detail what is going on in the EU, and why should it? if i was doing a purely economics course, i wouldnt want to know much about the EU other than trading rules and regulations, which is giving a VERY brief overview and nothing more

oh and calling you out on going to UWE was really just an excuse to rip on UWE as my mate goes there, you might know him actually, your both share the same levels of ignorance to the possibility of being wrong, yet not being able to provide any form of validation of your view other than simply stating "your wrong" then going onto some other rant

so far you havent stated any reasons for why i could be wrong other than "you clearly dont study economics" which further demonstates your lack of knowledge in this area if your think an economist would know more about the state of the EU than a politician
NS17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
why would say im chatting ****? do a bit of research on the subject, i learnt a lot of the basic infomation on this subject at A level. And yes politics is pretty much all based on economics, but that does not make them the same thing
economics is hardly going to explain why Britain are not intervening in lybia in the same degree that politics would, even though a strong base of the reason is the economics of it all. and thats the same for the EU, Economics will not explain in detail what is going on in the EU, and why should it? if i was doing a purely economics course, i wouldnt want to know much about the EU other than trading rules and regulations, which is giving a VERY brief overview and nothing more

oh and calling you out on going to UWE was really just an excuse to rip on UWE as my mate goes there, you might know him actually, your both share the same levels of ignorance to the possibility of being wrong, yet not being able to provide any form of validation of your view other than simply stating "your wrong" then going onto some other rant

so far you havent stated any reasons for why i could be wrong other than "you clearly dont study economics" which further demonstates your lack of knowledge in this area if your think an economist would know more about the state of the EU than a politician
As for levels of ignorance, you've aptly demonstrated how limited your own understanding of the subject at hand is rather well in your last couple of posts.

Are you really doing a Politics degree or are you just pretending to make it look like you know more than you do?
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just another French-German club. We shouldn't be on the sidelines like we are now, it should really be completely in or out.

Personally I take the view that we should be out. All we need is the trade benefits, hence a quick free trade agreement is all that's needed just look at Norway and Switzerland. As a services nation, Britain would probably gain more from being out rather than in.

The joining of the EU has brought enough social problems as it is, just look at the floodgates of immigrants that's in the country now... many communities in UK are more Eastern European than British, putting pressure on schools, medical services and other social problems when their gangs become active.

They have been a source of cheap labour often displacing British workers, this has led to many jobs being no longer sustainable and many business models aren't sustainable any longer due to the reliance of cheap labour. The supply of cheap labour has also prevented many businesses from innovating their production and manufacturing practices.

The whole idea of free movement of labour is just a bad idea really..... it's also something Britain cannot afford to allow at this moment in time. Look at our unemployment figures...nuff said. As for Brits working in the EU area.... the numbers are negligible to start with, also much of them tend to be skilled labour going away to add value to another economy, am pretty certain even without the EU membership that we could still go there... a work permit would be all that's needed and businesses aren't stupid...they know where to get talents and if it happens to be from Britain that they need it from, it's unlikely they won't do what that needs to be doing to get them.... just look at Britain and the number of non-EU sourced professionals working here.

Think about our food-security.... this country needs an agriculture industry, but cheap EU imports (usually from substandard farming practices) causes on average 1 food production site a day to go out of business.

Immigration issues? The cultural similarities argument just doesn't hold water.... they just aren't similar.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NS17)
As for levels of ignorance, you've aptly demonstrated how limited your own understanding of the subject at hand is rather well in your last couple of posts.

Are you really doing a Politics degree or are you just pretending to make it look like you know more than you do?
and again, a post with no value what so ever.
and yeh im doing international relations and politics. The whole course has a very strong focus on trade and war, including the formation of the EU, what it does for us today, what we do for the EU and so on
Bobifier
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
It serves the interests of the people of Europe, who include us.
Human slave forced drug testing would serve the interest of humanity. Humanity includes the human slaves the drugs would be tested on. Does the forced human slave drug testing serve the interest of the human slaves? Hopefully you appreciate the analogy I am trying to draw, and the hole it pokes in your argument.

Personally I feel that the EU is a good and nice idea in concept, but is not necessarily run in the way I would like it to be and I feel that our British leaders need to learn to stand up to it a bit more.
Rory :)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
Just another French-German club. We shouldn't be on the sidelines like we are now, it should really be completely in or out.

Personally I take the view that we should be out. All we need is the trade benefits, hence a quick free trade agreement is all that's needed just look at Norway and Switzerland. As a services nation, Britain would probably gain more from being out rather than in.

The joining of the EU has brought enough social problems as it is, just look at the floodgates of immigrants that's in the country now... many communities in UK are more Eastern European than British, putting pressure on schools, medical services and other social problems when their gangs become active.

They have been a source of cheap labour often displacing British workers, this has led to many jobs being no longer sustainable and many business models aren't sustainable any longer due to the reliance of cheap labour. The supply of cheap labour has also prevented many businesses from innovating their production and manufacturing practices.

The whole idea of free movement of labour is just a bad idea really..... it's also something Britain cannot afford to allow at this moment in time. Look at our unemployment figures...nuff said. As for Brits working in the EU area.... the numbers are negligible to start with, also much of them tend to be skilled labour going away to add value to another economy, am pretty certain even without the EU membership that we could still go there... a work permit would be all that's needed and businesses aren't stupid...they know where to get talents and if it happens to be from Britain that they need it from, it's unlikely they won't do what that needs to be doing to get them.... just look at Britain and the number of non-EU sourced professionals working here.

Think about our food-security.... this country needs an agriculture industry, but cheap EU imports (usually from substandard farming practices) causes on average 1 food production site a day to go out of business.

Immigration issues? The cultural similarities argument just doesn't hold water.... they just aren't similar.
I agree and also the fact that none of the countries in the EU actually like us (except Malta) we should make our own EU with America and the rest of the countries that actually stick by us.

I feel sorry for Germany, barely touched by the recession other then it has to fork the bill for countries like Greece. The UK is just wasting 40+ million a day we have to give to Brussels. A free trade agreement is all we need as some of those countries need to trade with us as much as we need to trade with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.56%
No (523)
72.44%

Watched Threads