Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prose Before Hoes)
    Mine started to lose curl when my layers outgrew, possibly because the weight of the length. I got my layers cut back in and when I showered and let my hair dry naturally, the curls were immense! I didn't do anything drastic and I didn't have much cut off, but the curls came back even more so than they had been when my hair was at its curliest
    Immense? Cool!

It's looking like I need a haircut, then, from what several people have said. Hopefully it'll be like when I first realised I had curly hair (didn't know until I was 15)- put some mousse in, leave to dry and bam!

ReputationRep:
    is your hair dry?because that might stop it curling if it is!get a perm?I've got naturally very curly hair and when I use curl products intended to "define" curls I don't find they make any difference :/

ReputationRep:
    Should have just left it natural. It is probably damaged now.

ReputationRep:
    I think it looks nice in all the pics, your very lucky I would kill for your hair - the colour is lovely! I definitely wouldn't resort to a perm like someone else suggested, it will completely ruin your hair. I guess all I can suggest is cut it, but I really wouldn't start going to extreme lengths to get it back curly, I guess hair changes over time for some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    is your hair dry?because that might stop it curling if it is!get a perm?I've got naturally very curly hair and when I use curl products intended to "define" curls I don't find they make any difference :/
    No, it's not dry, cos I use Aussie stuff love it.
    Yeah, my hair's not curly enough to use defining products on, and it's too fine. I need more sort of curl-boosting products, almost curl-creating products!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    Immense? Cool!

It's looking like I need a haircut, then, from what several people have said. Hopefully it'll be like when I first realised I had curly hair (didn't know until I was 15)- put some mousse in, leave to dry and bam!
    I hope so! Curly hair is so lovely and not a lot needs to be done with it Your hair is a lovely colour by the way (almost identical to mine!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    Yes they are! Wow, you're good.
    Haha, awesome! You look fine, and you look better in the last two picture, to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    what curling tongs do you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prose Before Hoes)
    I hope so! Curly hair is so lovely and not a lot needs to be done with it Your hair is a lovely colour by the way (almost identical to mine!)
    Yeah, I love the fact that as long as you don't mind waiting for it to dry, you basically don't have to do anything to style it after that! Bit of curl cream now and again and that's it. And I much prefer waiting for hair to dry to drying it myself. You can spend the time doing other things. Like right now, on the internet.

And thank you! I wasn't expecting all these nice comments tbh, you're all very lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    what curling tongs do you use?
    I've got Babyliss ones, I think they're ceramic but I'm not sure. It's the kind where you can set it to whatever temperature you want up to 200 degrees C.

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh. you'd expect them to last if you're using 200 degree heat :/ sounds like your hairs determined not to be curly!good luck

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried scrunching? I use this scrunching jelly stuff, it's Umberto Giannini and I find it awesome. Instead of normal scrunching where it can be hit and miss, it allows it to really keep its shape and makes it nice and smooth.

ReputationRep:
    Do you thinking using heating tools too much may have contributed to your hair losing its curl overtime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Do you thinking using heating tools too much may have contributed to your hair losing its curl overtime?
    I think blow drying and hair straightening, even just a couple of times a month, did contribute, yes. I'm not sure about the curling tongs. Sometimes I'd just use them to tidy up already curly hair, but sometimes I didn't bother letting my hair dry naturally since I knew I'd be curling it anyway, so I just blasted it quickly with a hairdryer. That tended to make it go more straight than wavy.

I haven't used any heated hair things for a few months now, but I still don't leave my hair to dry as it likes most of the time, I tie it up in a loose bun to get waves, or in bendy rollers. Although it's a bun most often nowadays, cos the results are quicker to deal with in the morning. You just shake it out. (Final year of uni- sleep is paramount.)

ReputationRep:
    Long hair dosn't tend to hold curls for as long as shorter hair, because the hair is longer it will be heavier and will weigh the curls down.
    You could try adding some layers into your hair if you don't want to cut much off the length. If that dosnt work I would go with what other posters have suggested and try a perm.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want them back, try cutting it off a bit! Just maybe, upto the shoulders or something? It could be getting weighed down. If you don't want to cut your hair try not using heat on it AT ALL not even a hair dryer for a few weeks, maybe a few months? And shampoo twice when washing your hair. it helped me.. and really massage it in, for 2-3 minutes. and then use a 5p size amount of conditioner afterwards.
    Try not to use product in it either, try just using products which will help make your hair healthier.. like Herbal Essences does good products, for hair care after washing it also x]

ReputationRep:
    If you want to dry it in a style, I used to twist my hair into groups (like when you spin it around your finger, only not too extreme) and then use one of those thingies on the hairdryer that's called something beginning with t, I think, that's like a trumpet with spikes in that you scoop all the hair up in and it dries it curly and gives it volumes.

I had really fine, really long, curly hair, it just didn't look it, cos the curls were on each individual hair :P But I figure that that same thing ought to help and is a bit less harsh than a curling iron.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've recently started a new way of looking after my curls, and they seem to be getting curlier and curlier, so maybe it'll help you too basically, I wash my scalp with a shampoo which doesn't contain sulphates (I use Naked Rescue Intense) because conventional shampoos seem to be too harsh for curly hair and then condition the midsections and ends of my hair with a botanical conditioner (same brand again for me)

When I step out of the shower, I scrunch up my hair into a cotton tshirt to remove the moisture and then apply some gel and scrunch with the tshirt again. After that, I just let my hair dry naturally but I guess you could diffuse it too. Hope this helps

xxx

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.