Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of going to TOKYO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As I write now British Foreign Office says that all non-essential travel to Tokyo area and the North East (excluding Hokkaido) should be avoided. (Which may have travel insurance implications)
    Tokyo currently has problems with power shortage and they do have rolling blackouts throughout Tokyo which does have severe consequences and there are general shortages of food and petrol etc. Having said that according to my parents the life is going on as usual in Tokyo.
    Other parts of Japan especially the countryside is absolutely lovely. I would recommend Hokkaido if you have a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I am so, so jealous .

ReputationRep:
    I suggest Kyoto instead of Tokyo.

ReputationRep:
    Damn. I really don't want to miss out Tokyo, but it's sounding like I might have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sl1234)
    I have been planning for about a year to travel to Tokyo and Kyoto at the end of August and I have had to cancel it because of the recent earthquakes. It took a lot for me to decide to cancel it, after taking classes in japanese and generally being excited for a year, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Though it was only the aftershocks that affected Tokyo not only would it be unsafe but also slightly disrepesctful to visit Tokyo in this time of mourning and devastation. On sunday I read in the sunday times that the Tourist Board is telling people not to visit Tokyo unless completely vital, and just today I saw on the news that tap water has become unsafe to drink for young children.

Though it is very unlikely that something very bad will happen to you if you do decide to go, I would reconsider if a trip at this time is really the best idea. Just giving some advice.
    agree, there was a news couple of days ago that the toilet paper in Tokyo has been sold out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    You'll be fine provided you don't go to the north east. Many SEA countries had this problem after the tsunami in 2004, tourists cancelling their trip even to regions completely unaffected. Honestly there is no need.
    True. A friend of mine went to Tokyo two days after the earthquake and the tsunami and she spent a good time. From what she said the atmosphere in Tokyo was the usual as it is far away from Fukushima

ReputationRep:
    You ought to bring a surfboard.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.