Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Maths isn't necessary. AS in maths is preferred, but I got offers from all my Unis without any post-GCSE Maths.

The subjects you've picked seem okay, I took Biol, Chem and Computing at A-level and French to AS.
    The better universities won't let you in without A-level Mathematics. And rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Well I got a 2:1 in the end, so can't have done anything too bad, and I got an 85% my quantitative skills module in my first year. So can't have done too bad. I would agree, A-level maths would make life a bit easier, but you can do well without A-level
    No offense, but a 2:1 @ Liverpool isn't even comparable to a 2:1 @ Oxford, Imperial or any other top-end university.

The fact that you got a 2:1 in Chemistry without any knowledge of calculus is borderline shocking. It speaks volumes about the quality of Liverpool's chemistry course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemist548)
    No offense, but a 2:1 @ Liverpool isn't even comparable to a 2:1 @ Oxford, Imperial or any other top-end university.

The fact that you got a 2:1 in Chemistry without any knowledge of calculus is borderline shocking. It speaks volumes about the quality of Liverpool's chemistry course.
    True, I'll give you that one, but it's got me a good job, so I couldn't care less. I never said I didn't have a knowledge of calculus, I did AS Maths Stats (briefley, as an A2 student, but had to drop it when it compromised all my other A-levels) and we had to do Quantitative Skills modules at Uni which were beyond A-level calculus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    True, I'll give you that one, but it's got me a good job, so I couldn't care less. I never said I didn't have a knowledge of calculus, I did AS Maths Stats (briefley, as an A2 student, but had to drop it when it compromised all my other A-levels) and we had to do Quantitative Skills modules at Uni which were beyond A-level calculus.
    Really? Because your univeristy only offers one 'mathematics' module for chemists in 1st year, and it definately does not go past A-level mathematics:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/info/portal/pls...ule_id%3D37258

Please point out to me where it goes past A-level mathematics, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemist548)
    Really? Because your univeristy only offers one 'mathematics' module for chemists in 1st year, and it definately does not go past A-level mathematics:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/info/portal/pls...ule_id%3D37258

Please point out to me where it goes past A-level mathematics, thanks
    No worries, it falls into CHEM180 and CHEM280, and was actually a seperate module when I was at University. In addition CHEM170 goes into advanced mechanics

These modules include the following:
    Simple volumetric calculations as required for titrations in analytical chemistry
    • Basic algebraic manipulation and functions needed for kinetics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics
    • Elementary geometry required for the understanding of molecular shapes and solid state chemistry
    • The representation of data via graphs, particularly straight line graphs, and the manipulation of data in spreadsheet programs for data analysis
    • The basic idea of a derivative and an i ntegral for use in physical chemistry
    • The physical concepts of energy, momentum and angular momentum
    perform basic calculus (integral and differential) as applied to kinetics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics
    • apply geometry and trigonometry as required to understand molecular shape
    • apply algebraic manipulation in kinetics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics
    • represent data via graphs. Should also be able to linearise and manipulate data in spreadsheet programs for data analysis (revision)
    • solve more advanced problems relating to logarithmic, trigonometric and exp onential functions

If you want to do some further reading look up CHEM191, this is the module I did and went a bit more into mechanics, in addition, the advanced physical chemistry modules discussed and expected us to derive quantum mechanics, thermodynamics and kinetics equations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    No worries, it falls into CHEM180 and CHEM280, and was actually a seperate module when I was at University. In addition CHEM170 goes into advanced mechanics

These modules include the following:
    Simple volumetric calculations as required for titrations in analytical chemistry
    • Basic algebraic manipulation and functions needed for kinetics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics
    • Elementary geometry required for the understanding of molecular shapes and solid state chemistry
    • The representation of data via graphs, particularly straight line graphs, and the manipulation of data in spreadsheet programs for data analysis
    • The basic idea of a derivative and an i ntegral for use in physical chemistry
    • The physical concepts of energy, momentum and angular momentum
    perform basic calculus (integral and differential) as applied to kinetics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics
    • apply geometry and trigonometry as required to understand molecular shape
    • apply algebraic manipulation in kinetics, thermodynamics and quantum mechanics
    • represent data via graphs. Should also be able to linearise and manipulate data in spreadsheet programs for data analysis (revision)
    • solve more advanced problems relating to logarithmic, trigonometric and exp onential functions

If you want to do some further reading look up CHEM191, this is the module I did and went a bit more into mechanics, in addition, the advanced physical chemistry modules discussed and expected us to derive quantum mechanics, thermodynamics and kinetics equations.
    You're quoting exactly what I linked to you. None of that goes past A-level mathematics. I did most of that @ advanced GCSE level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 4, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.