Turn on thread page Beta

How do you keep yourself motivated when losing weight? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Watching 'Biggest loser USA'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    Are you counting calories your drinking?
    yea. =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    But i was eating 1800 before I even started dieting. I think it must be overestimating it alot because I'm very fat.

Exercise routine ismn't a gym or anything but gets my heart going and make me sweat - usually bo between 30 mins - an hour depending how much time i have. Theres some muscle stuff and squats and things in it.
    Are you measuring your portion sizes correctly? You'd be shocked at how little the serving size they give you for the calories is. A normal bowl of cereal is like 3x the serving size on the box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltyPiratePony)
    This is my biggest problem.

Take last month for example. I went almost daily for three solid weeks, then i took a rest for a day and thought hmm this is fine and eventually just stopped going.

So my question to you is, how do you keep yourself motivated to knacker yourself doing cardio?
    That's a big question. I've been in a similar position as you. What I did was just to get one of my mates to go with me to the gym. Well, he actually drove me to the gym every day. We motivated each other. It was hardly the case that neither of us were motivated to go to the gym, in most cases one of us wasn't but then we motivated each other and kinda forced each other to go there.

My tip: find a partner to go with to the gym and make a commitment like let's say "whoever doesn't come, takes the other to a restaurant" or something.

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltyPiratePony)
    This is my biggest problem.

Take last month for example. I went almost daily for three solid weeks, then i took a rest for a day and thought hmm this is fine and eventually just stopped going.

So my question to you is, how do you keep yourself motivated to knacker yourself doing cardio?
    I assume you mean went to the gym or did exercise daily? If thats the case don't as you will burn yourself out, just cut down the days to 3 or 4 and put more intensity into those days (not more time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    I meant you're doing a lot of exercise and eating way too little to even survive/lose weight. I don't understand how you can function on that little.

Trust me, I know the temptation to want to lose weight too quickly when you have a lot to lose but it's not the answer.

Read these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=721990 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887324

Work out your bmr http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ and then your the number of calories you need to maintain here http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/ and then subtract this to get the number of calories you need to lose weight.

I don't know how much you know about fitness/bmr but if that's confusing then how's this as an example: If your maintenance calories are 2300 a day and you subtract this by 500 that means you can lose weight on 1800 calories a day.

Summary of all the ramblings: you are eating too little and if you're doing a lot of exercise then I'd recommend not going below 1500 calories a day. Eat a diet high in protein and fat with moderate carbs. Do a combination of resistance training ie freeweights and cardio. And don't just weigh yourself also take measurments and monthly progress pictures.
    You are a god. That BMR thing is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you feel like not going on a day you usually go tell yourself to go and at least do something even if you don't stay long. Or mix up what you do like the speed. I've found this interval training ( I did on a crosstrainer) in 20mins I saw it on some site. It's actually pretty good and you burn more calories on the machine than if you just stick to the same level in 20mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Get a picture of yourself looking REAAALLLLY fat and then put it like on your door and above your PC screen.
    This way you'll be constantly wanting to go to the gym to lose weight...

I don't do that though, i just have my brother that's similiar to me in running speed and on all the major lifts so i know if i miss a session he's gonna have an advantage over me and i can't allow that... Although the stupidest thing is lately, i'm suppose to be the young fit one and he's the old strong one but i've been beating him in the free weights and he's been beating me running...
    Exactly what I was gonna say Look at a dodgy photo of yourself and you'll be running to the gym :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananacake14)
    Exactly what I was gonna say Look at a dodgy photo of yourself and you'll be running to the gym :cool:

I would do that but my current pic is just too awesome..

Joking aside i do go to the same uni as OP so if he does need motivation in Summer term he should give me a shout and i'll drag him up to the gym...

Or he can grab a £2,10 train return and come do a 5k in brighton...

ReputationRep:
    When someone compliements me on how thin I look or i've lost weight etc, I remember that in my head, and think imagine how good i'll feel if I drop down to the size I wanted.

Right now, i'm in the process of losing weight, I have lost 2 stones and 1lb so far, have got about 1 st 13 lbs left

I hide under my jacket for now, cause' I want to shock everyone in the summer =D

Also looking at people whose size you want to be, i.e. celebrities, not the stick think ones! The normal curvy ones .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    When someone compliements me on how thin I look or i've lost weight etc, I remember that in my head, and think imagine how good i'll feel if I drop down to the size I wanted.

Right now, i'm in the process of losing weight, I have lost 2 stones and 1lb so far, have got about 1 st 13 lbs left

I hide under my jacket for now, cause' I want to shock everyone in the summer =D

Also looking at people whose size you want to be, i.e. celebrities, not the stick think ones! The normal curvy ones .

Ha ha I like the fact your hiding your weight loss for a big reveal.

My dream is to walk into uni next academic year wearing clothes that shows off my new figure and everybody staring at me wondering how she managed to lose the weight. However the reality is that I don't think anyone will notice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charliee :))
    Watching 'Biggest loser USA'.
    I second that. If it weren't for what I learnt on the show I probably wouldn't have much of a clue on how to lose weight. If people twice as big are losing the weight I see know reason why I can't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I've totalled plateaued. Fist 10 days I lost half a stone now 4 weeks later, nothing. Still exercising - still eating about 1000 cals a day but just not shifting anymore and it's not like I don't have it to lose. I'm 14stone and only 5'1
    get on the interval training. having such a low calorie intake for someone of your 'dimensions' surely cant be sufficient. more calories for more energy and try and do 20-30 mins HIIT on a treadmill or something.

alternatively if you are just sessioning one type of cardio then try switching it up. i plateaued on the bike then started running and shed another 5kg in 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Are you measuring your portion sizes correctly? You'd be shocked at how little the serving size they give you for the calories is. A normal bowl of cereal is like 3x the serving size on the box.
    I'm weighing stuff and trying to guess when I'm out like if i buy a banana just count 100 or 70 for an apple etc. But I'm weighing stuff at home. Wherever possible i buy stuff with the calories on the pack but fresh fruit doesn't have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Ha ha I like the fact your hiding your weight loss for a big reveal.

My dream is to walk into uni next academic year wearing clothes that shows off my new figure and everybody staring at me wondering how she managed to lose the weight. However the reality is that I don't think anyone will notice
    LOL I saw a friend today who was shocked to see how much weight i'd lost. I don't really think it shows but she said she could mostly see it on my face, my hips and thighs are just a pain, want them gone! lol (Although she seemed to want me to put the weight back again! :s Not happening!!)

I tried to hide under my baggy clothes, coat etc but it's not working lol, saw an ex the other day (still a friend) and he texted me later in the day enquiring about my weight loss, that felt GOOOOOD :P hehe

And I think sooo many people will notice, i've been reading your posts, the amount of weight you have lost, you must have so much determination! Congratulations on the loss so far, keep going and trust me they will notice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)

I would do that but my current pic is just too awesome..

Joking aside i do go to the same uni as OP so if he does need motivation in Summer term he should give me a shout and i'll drag him up to the gym...

Or he can grab a £2,10 train return and come do a 5k in brighton...
    oh you, i think you're stalking me haha.

I do go with someone from Lewes Court most of the time, but he does weights which isn't exactly my aims atm.

ReputationRep:
    Diet is pretty important (maybe more so than cardio). Great foods are boiled oats, apples, natural yoghurt, celeries, canned tuna, and lean meat. NEVER starve yourself!

I've been through this road before. so good luck everyone! keep going at it and never stop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    LOL I saw a friend today who was shocked to see how much weight i'd lost. I don't really think it shows but she said she could mostly see it on my face, my hips and thighs are just a pain, want them gone! lol (Although she seemed to want me to put the weight back again! :s Not happening!!)

I tried to hide under my baggy clothes, coat etc but it's not working lol, saw an ex the other day (still a friend) and he texted me later in the day enquiring about my weight loss, that felt GOOOOOD :P hehe

And I think sooo many people will notice, i've been reading your posts, the amount of weight you have lost, you must have so much determination! Congratulations on the loss so far, keep going and trust me they will notice
    Just a random question. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Just a random question. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking
    5 ft 5inches

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.