Turn on thread page Beta

Ban Signatures watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by The Stig)
    You can't actually restrict sig sizes can you? As in when you upload an avatar which is too big the system doesn't let you. However it would let you have a sig as big as you want. So if rules were put in place on sig sizes you'd need to have mods actively going around checking sig sizes wouldn't you?

I may be wrong here, however I know few other forums with sig size limits and they are all enforced by mods checking.
    Yeh I think it's a manual thing rather than an automatic/code thing. Relies on the fact that if everybody else has small/normal signatures, the one guy with the massive one stands out and users can easily report. At least, that is how it has worked on other forums I post on, same as you.

ReputationRep:
    You can't actually restrict sig sizes can you? As in when you upload an avatar which is too big the system doesn't let you. However it would let you have a sig as big as you want. So if rules were put in place on sig sizes you'd need to have mods actively going around checking sig sizes wouldn't you?

I may be wrong here, however I know few other forums with sig size limits and they are all enforced by mods checking.
    You can easily limit maximum sizes on a sig with either a max size physically (500x100px) or a max size (kb), it's used on many forums I'm on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh I think it's a manual thing rather than an automatic/code thing. Relies on the fact that if everybody else has small/normal signatures, the one guy with the massive one stands out and users can easily report. At least, that is how it has worked on other forums I post on, same as you.
    Ah yeah. It'd be good if limits were altered a little, some sigs on here are just unnecessarily large (pictures have the same effect, they don't need to be massive!). Fortunately sigs are only shown once per page

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah. It'd be good if limits were altered a little, some sigs on here are just unnecessarily large (pictures have the same effect, they don't need to be massive!). Fortunately sigs are only shown once per page
    Please report any excessively large sigs that you come across (700x500px is the usual maximum that we'll allow) and we'll take a look. We can't currently put any automatic restriction on signature dimensions, but we definitely do take action in a lot of cases.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Please report any excessively large sigs that you come across (700x500px is the usual maximum that we'll allow) and we'll take a look. We can't currently put any automatic restriction on signature dimensions, but we definitely do take action in a lot of cases.
    Through the post reporting mechanism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Through the post reporting mechanism?
    Aye

(Original post by Beska)
    I originally thought that (fingers crossed the limit will be more stringent! :drool:), but then realised that signatures only show up a maximum of once per page whereas avatars may show up lots of times. Either way, I'm sure a large gif in a signature must be somewhat of a resource whore? I'm not really sure, but yeh.
    An avatar may show up as often as 60 times per page (though anyone who gets 60 posts in a row in a thread is a wee bit sad :p:) but it should only be downloaded once so whether it shows up one time or sixty times, it's not that bad, particularly due to the stupidly small filesizes that are now being imposed (50kb * 60 posts = 3MB if all 60 people on a thread page are different and have the max allowed 50kb av size - there are quite a few people who've had gifs in their sigs that are 3+ MB alone...in one case I think someone had a gif in their sig that was something really stupid like 25MB :s:)

(Original post by mangoh)
    Seriously I think TSR should get rid of them.

Everytime I go to post, I often see some attractive women in a signature *posing*.

Seriously the only way to stop it imo is to get rid of ALL signatures.

Discuss.
    Set an example then, by getting rid of yours. I care not for your quotes.

ReputationRep:
    **** no :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to make my sig smaller...

ReputationRep:
    NO, no no, don't get rid of siggies. What's wrong with my siggy for instance? Why should I get rid of it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BADBOY89)
    NO, no no, don't get rid of siggies. What's wrong with my siggy for instance? Why should I get rid of it?
    It's a ridiculously large stock image, for one. The same thing could be portrayed in something a smidgen of it's current size. It's 430~ pixels high when the same information could be portrayed in 100-130px.

That is a perfect example of a signature I would adblock.

e: Since I don't want to be seen as all mouth and no trousers, here, 85px:

Much less negative space when scrolling down a thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    I'm off to make my sig smaller...
    Aww your sig was so nice! It brightened up every post I saw it in! You can't see the detail now it's small lol!
    (Original post by Beska)
    -
    Beska I kind see your point - I used to be on a forum where the was a limit to the size of the image in a sig and there could only be one rather than several billion in a row as I have seen however I think it would be hard to enforce the ban on pics of women etc because where do you draw the line at 'inapprpriate' and what about people who have pics of guys in their sigs? It would just get complex but I do share your thoughts about sig sizes and content in general - it would definitley improve the forums.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by emzaz)
    Beska I kind see your point - I used to be on a forum where the was a limit to the size of the image in a sig and there could only be one rather than several billion in a row as I have seen however I think it would be hard to enforce the ban on pics of women etc because where do you draw the line at 'inapprpriate' and what about people who have pics of guys in their sigs? It would just get complex but I do share your thoughts about sig sizes and content in general - it would definitley improve the forums.
    I don't really care about people having pictures in their sigs, I'm not really discussing the appropriateness of them (although I find it ironic that there's a swear filter but women in lingerie/men in boxers are allowed) but rather how big they are. I'm discussing the physical size of the sig rather than the content, per se.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    Aww your sig was so nice! It brightened up every post I saw it in! You can't see the detail now it's small lol!
    I haven't actually changed it yet.... :facepalm: Thanks though! I think Beska would find it to much though. I couldn't decide how small to make it/if to spoiler it/keep it the same, so I thought I'd leave the decision for a while, :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't actually changed it yet.... :facepalm: Thanks though! I think Beska would find it to much though. I couldn't decide how small to make it/if to spoiler it/keep it the same, so I thought I'd leave the decision for a while, :lol:
    It must be because I'm not on my laptop at the minute - the image looks much larger normally hahah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    It must be because I'm not on my laptop at the minute - the image looks much larger normally hahah!
    Oh right okay You had me very confused momentarily!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Haha, I'm just discussing a point. Not trying to get at anybody in particular. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Haha, I'm just discussing a point. Not trying to get at anybody in particular. :o:
    I know you weren't You're far too lovely. It just got me thinking because I fit into that category and don't want to be anoying any people, not just you

It just got me thinking because I fit into that category and don't want to be anoying any people, not just you
    I also think I fit into this 'annoying' category. :ninja: But I've already made it smaller by so much that I had to include a link to the bigger image. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I also think I fit into this 'annoying' category. :ninja: But I've already made it smaller by so much that I had to include a link to the bigger image. :sad:
    I have to say (straight though I am) I was always a very big fan of your Emma Watson one If I knew anything about Sci Fi, your current one would be :awesome:, I'm sure
    EDIT: You made member of the year and it's not even proudly displayed in your sig? :ninja:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.