Turn on thread page Beta

Big club supporters watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why should you be forced into supporting a team just because you live there? If I supported my local team, I'd be travelling up and down the country to watch games in a league about 4 or 5 leagues below the conference. They're so bad that the team I play for (average Saturday team) thrashed their reserves.

Instead I support Manchester United, because my dad does, and that's the way it should work. He used to live near there, and has supported them pretty much all his life. I have supported them all of my life, and will do no matter what the circumstances. As long as you feel the same passion and give the same support as any other football fan, I see nothing wrong with supporting a big team.

ReputationRep:
    I've supported Spurs most of my life because my dad's a spurs fan and they were the first team I saw as my Nan used to live in Enfield. Doesn't stop me supporting Bournemouth FC...why is there this premonition that you should only support your closest Premier League team?

(Original post by bluenose14)
    Vieira should do the decent thing and retire, he's tarnishing his reputation. I dont know what this big obsession is with him playing 3 defensive minded midfielders as well. I'd be pissed off as a city fan with Johnson sitting on the bench earlier in the season while he stuck to his boring negative formation.
    The only excitement I can see is when Tevez feels he wants to have a good day. But I fear this club will crumble back to what it was before when he leaves. They are a one person team and the second best goal scorer is a loose cannon in Balotelli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Why is it necessary that the team I support must be one which is local to me? How is the team's geographical location relevant in any way towards whether or not I want them to win matches? In competitions, I support the team that I enjoy watching the most, and whose football I think is the most beautiful. The more they win, the longer they stay in the competition, and the more matches I get to see them play (and against tougher teams as well, which makes for a really good match).

Plus, I don't see why you'd consider it "gloryhunting" to support a big non-local team. Yes, they might win lots of matches, but the resulting glory doesn't belong to me. I wasn't the one scoring goals out there. I simply happen to like watching that team play, just to admire the talent.
    As I've said, the whole world would be supporting barca. There would be no rivalry, and the team who plays the best football would change. So would that mean you'd change the team you support?

ReputationRep:
    Well people are born in various places, you can also be brought up supporting the team of your dad, my dad who was born in london supports Arsenal he moved to wales which is where i was born but i've been brought up supporting the Arsenal, currently live in liverpool, i'm not gloryhunter, i mean like the guy said above these past few week ¬ ¬, I will still watch arsenal just as much if we lose or win!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    The only excitement I can see is when Tevez feels he wants to have a good day. But I fear this club will crumble back to what it was before when he leaves. They are a one person team and the second best goal scorer is a loose cannon in Balotelli.
    I still think dzeko will come good for you when he gets used to the league. He looked awesome in germany. Just enjoy the fact that you're a club that's going places though. Youll probably attract some world class manager when the fans get fed up of Mancini.

ReputationRep:
    As I've said, the whole world would be supporting barca. There would be no rivalry
    Why would the whole world be supporting Barca? I'm only one person, not the whole world. The team I support has no effect on which teams the rest of the world supports!

and the team who plays the best football would change. So would that mean you'd change the team you support?
    I don't really know, to be honest. While I would certainly start watching the team who plays the best football with admiration, perhaps it's a bit emotionally difficult to stop supporting a team that you've already been supporting for so long, once you're familiar with all the players and the club's history etc.

At the moment, my most local club is Birmingham City. But I haven't seen many of their matches, I could hardly name one or two of their players, and I've never found their matches particularly exciting. So, just because they're local to me, why should I care whether they win or lose?
    And soon, I'll be moving to London. Does that mean I should suddenly start supporting a London club, just because I've moved house and now they're the most local?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madmandanxd)
    Well people are born in various places, you can also be brought up supporting the team of your dad, my dad who was born in london supports Arsenal he moved to wales which is where i was born but i've been brought up supporting the Arsenal, currently live in liverpool, i'm not gloryhunter, i mean like the guy said above these past few week ¬ ¬, I will still watch arsenal just as much if we lose or win!
    That's understandable though. I was talking about the people who see a successful team and think I'll have some of that.

ReputationRep:
    =\

ReputationRep:
    Why is it necessary that the team I support must be one which is local to me? How is the team's geographical location relevant in any way towards whether or not I want them to win matches? In competitions, I support the team that I enjoy watching the most, and whose football I think is the most beautiful. The more they win, the longer they stay in the competition, and the more matches I get to see them play (and against tougher teams as well, which makes for a really good match).

Plus, I don't see why you'd consider it "gloryhunting" to support a big non-local team. Yes, they might win lots of matches, but the resulting glory doesn't belong to me. I wasn't the one scoring goals out there. I simply happen to like watching that team play well, just to admire the talent.
    And this is what is called a 'football fan' rather than a supporter. I am sure you can understand the difference.

It is like understanding religion and dabbling in it compared to someone that fully throws themself into it and makes it a part of their actual lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    And this is what is called a 'football fan' rather than a supporter. I am sure you can understand the difference.

It is like understanding religion and dabbling in it compared to someone that fully throws themself into it and makes it a part of their actual lives.
    Clearly I'm misunderstanding some terminology then. Can you clarify: In what way does a 'supporter' throw himself into a football club and make it a part of his life (besides by watching the matches and hoping that his team wins, which even a 'football fan' would do)?

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoy watching Stoke, they are so unique it usually makes for interesting match ups :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Manchester and support United. I'll never understand those people tbh I could never support a London or Liverpool club no matter how crap the Manchester teams were. Honestly myself and most Mancunian United fans see ourselves and out of town supporters as very different entities anyway and they'll never really be viewed as real fans. (Except for the Irish because they supported us when we were rubbish)

ReputationRep:
    I definitely admire teams like barca because they are great to watch but i don't actively support them. I can understand people wanting allardyce teams to lose though.

ReputationRep:
    So what if your family never supported a team?

ReputationRep:
    I support Chelsea because my dad and granddad do, it's just sort of come down the generations.

However, I do still enjoy going to cheer on Leyton Orient sometimes; as they're more local and therefore easier to get to, and also because tickets are cheaper (sometimes free for me ) and easier to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    So what if your family never supported a team?
    Not the team that's top of the league, preferably your local team.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly I'm misunderstanding some terminology then. Can you clarify: In what way does a 'supporter' throw himself into a football club and make it a part of his life (besides by watching the matches and hoping that his team wins, which even a 'football fan' would do)?
    You admire football in terms of a spectator sport. So you watch the team that brings you the most aesthetic pleasure. An immediate pleasure if you want.

A football supporter will support their club. Whether they do well or not. They will fight for the causes of the club. They will have shared joy and grief. They will be an extension of the club. They are naive and blind. They are fanatics.

By all means do not take offence to what I am saying as it is not meant that way. It is just a way of seperating someone who is part of a club and someone who admires a club.

Honestly, think of it in religious terms and it might be easier to understand.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I really dislike the 'local' team argument. As to what level down the leagues do you go?
    The nearest professional ground to me is Anfield so technically I support my local team :rolleyes: but the nearest team to me is a local Sunday league club. So should I ignore my support of Liverpool in favour of watching and following a Sunday league team?

Also, is not every person a 'glory hunter' to some extent. As there is always a team with less 'glory'.

ReputationRep:
    Not the team that's top of the league, preferably your local team.
    heh, that's the same team.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.