Turn on thread page Beta

Emergency watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    No, I dont have that option there. And ive checked everywhere for some .tmp. Oh life is cruel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HELPMENOW)
    No, I dont have that option there. And ive checked everywhere for some .tmp. Oh life is cruel
    As others have mentioned, if all else fails you could take your computer to an expert and have them try to recover the file you need. It might cost a little, but I suspect you'd feel it worth the price. Good luck again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by morris743)
    As others have mentioned, if all else fails you could take your computer to an expert and have them try to recover the file you need. It might cost a little, but I suspect you'd feel it worth the price. Good luck again.
    Before tommrow morning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jagstangman)
    if you go to the file you want to restore, right click, and on the context menu should be a 'restore previous version' option. If there isn't then you probably havn't got that feature enabled on your computer.

If that is the case then you will have to search through the temporary files for the previous version.

Edit: Are you using Vista Home Premium or Home Basic? then 'restore previous versions' is there, but just hidden. See this: http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/arc...ou-d-lost.aspx or this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...hadowexplorer/ to access previous versions
    Try out this, just in case you didn't see my earlier post

ReputationRep:
    Its not availiable in vista basic. Oh i knew i would regret being stingey

ReputationRep:
    Overwriting the file is pretty terminal, tbh.

Pop some Pro-Plus and get rewriting.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i cant help, but damm i feel your pain, the same happened to me. I did my work (on word) then in a hurry i quickly clicked exit knowing that it always ask if you want to save your work i accidentally clicked no.

ReputationRep:
    Its not availiable in vista basic. Oh i knew i would regret being stingey

The Volume Shadow Copy/previous version feature is in Vista Basic, as Windows also uses it to do system backups, but for some reason Microsoft have removed the interface for it, therefore you cannot normally access it. The program in those links is free and should allow you to access your previous versions (if there are any)

ReputationRep:
    So much bad info in this thread.

Anyway, yeah you need to do an all nighter.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well I appreciate the help everyone but it's gone. Have a nice night everyone, I know I wont
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well I appreciate the help everyone but it's gone. Have a nice night everyone, I know I wont
    **** happens man, just knuckle down, get it done and goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    It sucks, but we've all been there. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I have an assignment due in tomorrow and normally something like this happens to me. I totally empathise with you. Good luck. The night is still young, you can get it done.

ReputationRep:
    Search .tmp files in computer, you may be lucky.

If not, get something to eat, drink and settle down for a retype. You should remember most, and the old file should help.

Enjoy, and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Last summer my external hard-drive randomly burnt out (only 6 months old!), which meant that I lost every file that I'd saved for 6 years. Believe me, I feel your pain.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.