What's the best Student Bank Account? Also which offers the Railcard? Watch

SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
I got £500 with HSBC while on my gap year which rose to £1500 in January of my first year (not quite sure why I was given that much but I'm not complaining!).

HSBC do not give out railcards.
I wasn't allowed an overdraft for my gap year :p:. But I get a £1000 overdraft to start the year off.
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
I wasn't allowed an overdraft for my gap year :p:. But I get a £1000 overdraft to start the year off.
Maybe they just love me for some reason! I still don't quite get why they decided to give me the £1500 half way through my first year - when according to the website you can't get that until year 3!
drawingpin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natwest offer the railcard and the offer is brought out mid june. (i work there and this is when its been brought out over the past few years)
Rachel08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rachrachrach)
Just wondering what you reckon is the best Student Bank Account?

I'm thinking of getting mine with HSBC as RBS and Natwest require you to have an unconditional offer when I only have a conditional!
I can't currently find a bank offering the Railcard for some reason.
The whole conditional/unconditional thing is due to the fact that most if not all banks do not allow you to set up a student account until you're registered on your course which happens when you start uni. Keep a normal bank account for now and you're supposed to be able to change your bank details on student finance when you switch to the student account.
r_n_b_crazi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chembob)
You can no longer get a railcard with the Natwest student account has the deadline has been passed

http://www.natwest.com/personal/stud...-benefits.ashx
That's for the 2010 cycle.
Rolling Stoner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was going to go for the Natwest account for the free rail card, but I read somewhere that the Co-op are the only bank to gaurantee the maximum overdraft limit. Can't find the link now :confused:

EDIT: found the link, the Co-op account is the best apparantly... http://www.beststudentaccounts.co.uk/?p=5
sundogs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chembob)
You can no longer get a railcard with the Natwest student account has the deadline has been passed

http://www.natwest.com/personal/stud...-benefits.ashx
No. This was referring to people from last year's cycle.

The perks for the NatWest Student account for this cycle haven't been announced yet.
The railcard will probably be there but as you can't get the account till after results day (unless you're an unconditional), it doesn't say.
tnajamie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't get an account for the railcard lol, they cost £64 for 3 years, that's nothing really!
jde-tv
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just looked on the natwest site... all the overdrafts sound good, but its still annoying that it doesnt say about a reail card!!
JKGB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm with the Co-Op bank and I get a £2,000 interest-free overdraft, which is pretty good if you ask me, although there aren't many branches around (my nearest one is Luton and that's about 40 minutes drive away) but most things can be sorted over the phone, and I can pay in cash at the Post Office. I wouldn't recommend taking out an account just for the 'freebie' unless it's really going to benefit you.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how long does the coop give you to pay off your overdraft before interest kicks in?
Nat West give you 3 years after you graduate.
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It seems natwest will only be offering the railcard to existing customers with an adapt account this year... and that might only be 1/3 off rather than free

Read: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3303992
And: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3303992
Swindan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tnajamie)
Don't get an account for the railcard lol, they cost £64 for 3 years, that's nothing really!
You get the railcard for 5 years, worth £120-140, depending on how you look at it.

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
It seems natwest will only be offering the railcard to existing customers with an adapt account this year... and that might only be 1/3 off rather than free

Read: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3303992
And: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3303992
I think you're getting mixed up. The railcard's free, but it gives you 1/3 off of train tickets.
Kim-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natwest now ask for evidence of an unconditional offer before they will let you set up your account/convert the account you already have to a student one. This requirement was new in 2010. If you can get the free railcard another time, remember that money has to go into your account once a month and out of it three times a month (I think) or they will take your railcard away when it is due for renewal.
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swindan)
You get the railcard for 5 years, worth £120-140, depending on how you look at it.

I think you're getting mixed up. The railcard's free, but it gives you 1/3 off of train tickets.
I know... I'm just going by what a post says here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...hlight=student (sorry managed to post the same thread twice last time)

"Son has had an Adapt a/c for years and the Natwest branc here have just insisted on changing it to a student a/c as he's now 18 and plans to be off to uni this autumn They say once he has an unconditional offer when his results are out they will be offering him 1/3 off a 3 year railcard. "
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the critical thing in your post is that Nat West have not yet opened their student account promotion so what they are doing changing accounts now is to get out of offering the deals to the poor saps that sign up now.
xlizx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im just going to change my account at lloyds to a student account, that way I don't have to change my info with student finance and wont have to remember a new pin. I get a £1,500 interest-free overdraft starting with £500 for the first six months i can then apply to increase it to £1,000 in months seven to nine and I can apply for £1,500 after that
Kate5tar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to change from HSBC to NatWest when freshers rolls around because I have no need for the overdraft system and want a freebie railcard ;D
glf2110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also consider which banks offer Graduate accounts for once you reach that milestone.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
After you open the student account is the money available immediately? Or must you wait until your university course starts?

My preferences in order are...

Co-op (was rejected for a current account a few months ago)
Natwest
RBS
Lloyds (currently have a current account with them)
Yorkshire Bank (owe them money but if the debt was passed on then there is a chance)

Poor credit history, so i am doubtful i will get one at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads