Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide! Watch

Willum Infanta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No salt and vinegar on chips...

I second the no crusts on bread...they're usually like the best bit!
youfatbastard
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Taking gherkins out of a burger ...
Accalia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ketchup on anything.
Dorito
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when people don't season because 'it doesn't make a difference'.

That annoys me, it does make a difference you idiots! :sad:
silent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"'Ello 'ello 'ello! Looks like you're committing a crime towards food and drink so heinous I'll have to nick ya!"

:nothing:
bananacake14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:O so many ketchup haters on here!
I am guilty of drowning my food in it. It's sooo good :cool:
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Buying an expensive joint/steak of beef and then cooking it until it is completely brown or slathering it in peppercorn sauce or in any other way disguising the fact that it is good meat rather then sinewy shin purchased for a 'fackin' pahhnd a pahhnd' off some bloke in the pub.
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blimey, pineapple 'sugary-sweet'? It's anything but, in fact pineapple is known for being sharp, unless it's crystallised.

From a personal viewpoint, I'd say putting banana in fruit salad, letting breakfast cereal go soggy, and putting ketchup on anything.
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TotoMimo)
Sweet as a flavour is synonymous with dessert, and to me, a nice juicy gammon steak or cheesy pizza... well, that's just not a dessert.
I take it you don't like pears and stilton then? Or cranberry sauce and turkey? Or apple sauce and salty pork? Or bacon and maple syrup? Or salty peanuts in chocolate bars? Or lamb tagine? Or chocolate coated pretzels? Or prosciutto and cantaloupe melon? Or strawberrys with balsamic vinegar? or chinese five spice?

Some of the best flavour combinations ever discovered mix sweet and savoury flavours together. This unnatural obsession with dividing flavours into sweet and savoury is a rather provincial british one.
SmokeRose92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not having a vodka and jagermeister in a Royal Wedding mug
loonyplatypus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ketchup + Mayonnaise.

Why would anyone think that would be a good combination??
TotoMimo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Speaking of overcooking, mum insists on buying the really good Tesco Finest Tenderstem Broccoli (which is lush), and then cooking it until it's practically grey. Utterly pointless and a REAL food crime.

And as for seasoning, I agree seasoning is very important. But I have a gran (who, by the way, has blood pressure through the roof) who, even if something is salted, will put extra salt on herself. I'm talking, she has to add more salt manually regardless of how many people have already salted it.

An example - in Mcdonalds, they already salt the fries (sometimes to death). But mum knows Gran likes extra salt, so got a couple of sachets and put them on for her before bringing the food over to the table. When Gran asked for some salt sachets, mum explained she'd already done it, and without even tasting her (now dead-sea-salty) fries, she said to mum "no, I'll need more salt, hen."
dnumberwang
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Too much salt... I usually have half a sachet, and Mcd's chips have too much salt when you buy them :|
rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ketchup and baked beans touching each other on a plate. It actually makes me feel sick.

edit: also, roast dinners being ruined by apple sauce. IT'S SO DISGUSTING AND WRONG. :sad:
shy-girl666
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ahh i luv all you guys on TSR, great examples of foodie crimes!

my sister once had ice cream and KETCHUP!!!! :yuck:

my mum is always putting ketchup on EVERYTHING!! dont get me wrong i likes ketchup but there is a time and a place! x
HistoryRepeating
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hate people who can't use cutlery
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HistoryRepeating)
Overcooking ANYTHING (steak, vegitables, pork, even chicken).

People who are really picky about food, especially healthy or exotic food.

People who wont try something once ("I know I wont like it&quot.

Ketchup - its not disgusting its just a horriblly overpowering taste that ruins good cooking. I would genuinely kick someone out of a dinner party for asking for ketchup.

Mayonaise on anything other than chips (or in tunagoo and a few other specific concepts). Especially salad - who the **** does that?

People who ask for beer with my well cooked meal despite me having picked out a perfect, complimentary wine. Seriously **** off back to MaccyDs

In fact, anyone who doesnt drink wine with a good meal. What a waste.

People who deliberately pick something cheap on the menu then make a big deal out of splitting the bill (and, generally, forget tip or tax).

Vegans (I can just about tolerate vegetarians as long as they keep it quiet, though my favourite veges are the ones who will occasionally eat meat at a dinner party so as not to ruin it for everyone else... no you cant bring your own food you stupid ****)

Anyone who doesnt like a fryup when they are hungover

PEOPLE WHO CANT USE CUTLERY PROPERLY. Seriously get out of my house and never speak to me again for the rest of your life.

Anyone who doesnt believe in seasoning.

People who throw away food before its gone off because they are afraid of germs.

Anyone who eats fastfood regularly. twice a year, while ****faced, is your limit. Kebabs while drunk excepted.
Never really understood the importance of having the knife and fork the 'right' way round.

I am guilty of this offence. I spak out otherwise and my elbows go all strange.
dnumberwang
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HistoryRepeating)
Overcooking ANYTHING (steak, vegitables, pork, even chicken).

People who are really picky about food, especially healthy or exotic food.

People who wont try something once ("I know I wont like it").

Ketchup - its not disgusting its just a horriblly overpowering taste that ruins good cooking. I would genuinely kick someone out of a dinner party for asking for ketchup.

Mayonaise on anything other than chips (or in tunagoo and a few other specific concepts). Especially salad - who the **** does that?

People who ask for beer with my well cooked meal despite me having picked out a perfect, complimentary wine. Seriously **** off back to MaccyDs

In fact, anyone who doesnt drink wine with a good meal. What a waste.

People who deliberately pick something cheap on the menu then make a big deal out of splitting the bill (and, generally, forget tip or tax).

Vegans (I can just about tolerate vegetarians as long as they keep it quiet, though my favourite veges are the ones who will occasionally eat meat at a dinner party so as not to ruin it for everyone else... no you cant bring your own food you stupid ****)

Anyone who doesnt like a fryup when they are hungover

PEOPLE WHO CANT USE CUTLERY PROPERLY. Seriously get out of my house and never speak to me again for the rest of your life.

Anyone who doesnt believe in seasoning.

People who throw away food before its gone off because they are afraid of germs.

Anyone who eats fastfood regularly. twice a year, while ****faced, is your limit. Kebabs while drunk excepted.
I was about to rep you until the fast food comment
TotoMimo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Another one I've experienced was just this past Christmas, and it wound me up really badly.

At Christmas, I received a box of Signature Selection Hotel Chocolat chocolates; now, these are pretty damned premium stuff (I think they work out like £1-£1.50 PER CHOCOLATE) so they're very coveted by me... but hey, it's Christmas, right? So I crack open this £25-£30 box of chocolates and offer one to my mum, dad, and sister JUST as my Aunt visits. Clearly I'm not going to pass out chocolates to some people and not others, so my Aunt (who, can I just state for the record, is even more of a total commoner than my immediate family, which says a lot considering our usual meals were special offers from Farmfoods most days) was offered one too. She picked out "whatever one has caramel in it" and took a big bite out of it, grimaced, and said "oh, that's rotten, that one", throwing the remainder away, immediately snatching the opportunity to look at the little chocolate menu and grabbing a different variety, to which she had the same reaction and said "Tommy, what kind of chocolate are they, they taste rancid!"

This alone would've been enough to send me over the edge, but managing to salvage about two thirds of my box from the clutches of the "I'm going to sit here and take a bite out of every one in the box and spit it out like a toddler" brigade, I put the lid back on and put them through onto the kitchen counter. After exchanging gifts, my mum enquired where my young 8-year old cousin was (who had come with my Aunt), and I went through into the kitchen, to see the greedy little pig munching through my chocolates - and I mean, munching. You know in cartoons when you see them not even finishing what's in their mouth before grabbing another? That. With Hotel Chocolat Signature Collection chocolates.

I will never forget the number 8, because it was literally, the number of chocolates remaining in the box I got to keep to myself.
HistoryRepeating
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
Never really understood the importance of having the knife and fork the 'right' way round.

I am guilty of this offence. I spak out otherwise and my elbows go all strange.
We could never be friends.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (34)
17%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise