Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lacelicker)
    Left, although I support the far left, I'm no fan of new labour.
    I think that we need a left wing government because I think fairness, and equality are vital for a well run country!
    Fairness and equality don't necessarily go hand in hand, for example I think it's completely fair that people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are massively rich whereas nurses are not, as much as people like to hold nurses etc. up as so underpaid the harsh truth is that while it's incredibly hard work it's not particularly skilful and it's a very low-risk job in terms of chances of losing your income or even your personal wealth; setting up a software company on the other hand requires huge amounts of skill and is very risky hence the rewards are a lot lot larger otherwise people wouldn't bother.
    What I find so ironic is that the section of society who vote most for labour also play the lottery most!

ReputationRep:
    Why has no one pointed out how utterly redundant these terms are?

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives are not right wing... Under David Cameron they are centre/centre-right. The Lib Dems aren't left wing either...

Although their grassroot supporters are most likely left wing, there is a considerable classic liberal wing, the orange bookers, who get on very well with the Conservatives. David Laws, Edward Davey, Nick Clegg, Chris Huhne, Vince Cable, Steve Webb... These are all contributors to the Orange Book and are all in government.

ReputationRep:
    The Liberal Democrats aren't left wing.
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    The Conservatives are not right wing... Under David Cameron they are centre/centre-right.
    :yawn: That still places the Conservative Govt on the 'right' of the spectrum. I don't think we have to mean a hard right stance when talking about the Conservative Party because centre-right is still right wing over and above centrist ideology (which mind you is still politcally right of left :wink2:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    The Liberal Democrats aren't left wing. :yawn: That still places the Conservative Govt on the 'right' of the spectrum. I don't think we have to mean a hard right stance when talking about the Conservative Party because centre-right is still right wing over and above centrist ideology (which mind you is still politcally right of left :wink2:)
    It is on the right scale, however, there is a difference between descibing something as centre right and right wing. There is quite a difference actually and thus it needs to be made clear

ReputationRep:
    Economic Right
    Social Centre
    The lib dems aren't left-wing and the tories aren't right wing. Both are fairly near the centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)
    Ahh yes, give as much money as possible to the poor, screw the consequences.

Labour left a £700bn debt, 300 of that was bailing out of the banks which they had to do, however the other £400bn was the welfare bill. That's what happens when you make it more profitable to not work.
    Haven't you heard of those massive tax dodging businesses? They probably create more severe consequences than the welfare bill. But everyone would rather damage the already damaged, you know- kick them while their down because they can't fight back. Gosh, I can't believe you deny low income families financial help. What's the point in having a country without debt but with a mass of struggling working class families, who won't financially contribute to the economy because they have no money. Those from poorer backgrounds deserve just as much opportunities and just as good a quality of life.

And anyway, I've been saying working class! Labour have done so much for the working class, not those on the dole. Why do people always go on about benefits? Just because Cameron targets and obsesses over them and tries to turn the tide against them in order to win admiration, why do people think that working class are those who claim benefits? Oh my good God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    What I find so ironic is that the section of society who vote most for labour also play the lottery most!
    OMG:gasp:, OMG:gasp:, OMG:gasp:, can't believe you just said that, how dare you state the correlation between general stupidity and voting for the left (or left of Conservative as New Labour are not really very left, just s***), they so blatantly have absolutely nothing in common

This post is in for a right negging from the lefties...:rofl2::rofl3::rofl2:...lol

ReputationRep:
    Right and left are becoming increasingly irrelevant these days to be honest, I believe its becoming more libertarianism vs statism rather than the old war between left and right.

ReputationRep:
    Economic right, social left.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much in the middle

ReputationRep:
    Right wing? Wrong wing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sitting in the cockpit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioHawk)
    i lean more towards right
    left wing is too pussy and cant get **** done

EDIT: wait who brought in welfare?
    i hate them....
    You say you want a government to 'get **** done', yet are against welfare? Welfare is the only thing to be 'done'...

Right-wing economics just oversees the running of and provision for society by private companies... i.e. right-wing governments have an inclination to sit back and do nothing...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with aspects of both right wing and left wing views but I think I'm slightly more right wing myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    OMG:gasp:, OMG:gasp:, OMG:gasp:, can't believe you just said that, how dare you state the correlation between general stupidity and voting for the left (or left of Conservative as New Labour are not really very left, just s***), they so blatantly have absolutely nothing in common

This post is in for a right negging from the lefties...:rofl2::rofl3::rofl2:...lol
    Yeah ok because universities have never been a hot-bed of left-wing thought...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    How can you call yourself an anarchist and then admit it's completely unworkable; are you basically saying you're an idealist. Surely you must have a view about what the realistic options are?? I'm not saying extreme left-wing isn't possible. Personally I'm a bit more right wing as I feel with the parties we have the tories are less about telling us what to do!
    It will never work. In reality, many people are too greedy.

I am an idealist; I would love to see such communities, however I do not realistically think they are plausible, however much so I'd love to see them.

It isn't completely unworkable; I just can't see it. If people could sit back, assess what they are good at, apply it to a community working toward a greater good, then it'd work. And we'd soon have a working Anarchist set of communities.

However, life moves too fast to sit back and allow ourselves to organize into such a system. And there are obviously other problems; people naturally wanting to lead, getting things we need, completely following the "NO GODS, NO MASTERS!" line.

Yeah, however much I'd love such a society, and (purely my own views) wish for one, I can't see it.

If that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    Left
    edit: obviously my detailed answer would be far more complex, it depends on a lot of things, who specifically is in charge, varies for different issues. But very very generally, I think that

ReputationRep:
    The Liberal Democrats are currently centre, while the Conservatives are to the right economically.

On the Liberal/Authoritarian scale, both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are centre which is why they were able to find common ground (as opposed to Labour who are centre economically, but were very authoritarian).

I personally think that the right is better for the country economically, but liberal socially which is why my top 3 parties are the Conservatives, Liberal Democrats and UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    Ehh, I guess I'm normally put at Capatalist Libertarian.

But I have ideas and views that don't fit into either of those.

Essentially I believe in self-worth and hardwork. The State should be there to police and provide security, and ensure no great exploitation takes place. Equally, the State provides for it's citizens a saftey net, by way of welfare, healthcare, education and so on. But it's worth pointing out here, that I strongly believe that Welfare should be only what is needed to survive, it's the State's job to see you healthy, clothed and homed, not to provide a lifestyle for you. Equally, Healthcare must only be for health purposes, not some of the rubbish that you get today.

Criminals should be dealt with harshly, especially theives, more so than they are today. Crime should not be a lifestyle, and should not be something allowed to happen. As such prison must be a deterrent, a true deterrent. So it should be just as much, if not more about punishment than 'rehabilitation'. Theievs know damn well that they are theiving, you either shame them into seeing the wrongness, or punish them so harshly they will not want to do it again. Instead of todays system where we pander to them.

Lot's of other things aswell, but those are some of the main things.

(Cue the TSR Communist Party telling me how our current system is a massive exploitation of the proletariat :rolleyes: )

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.