Entz is Changing! Watch

skipp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Skipp's 2nd post

Continuing from an idea I had in the comic soc I apologise for putting this idea in more than one place, hopefully this is a less confusing thread for this particular discussion :o:

There has been mention of creating a 'beginer's guide to' in both the comic & anime societies, the original suggestion was to make a thread for this purpose to be stickied, my proposal however is that, if possible, a wiki page is made on each of these subjects instead if that can be stickied in the same way, for the following reasons:

1. Wiki pages may be editted by anyone: Change in these areas is constant, the next big thing in anime or comics that would be essential to the guide could be right around the corner. It's too much to expect one person to constantly update the OP to keep the information up to date & it could be problematic if they become inactive

2. This information is likely going to generate a lot of discussion (let's hope it does :p:), and if it's displayed in the format of a thread things could get untidy very quickly with random responses here there & everywhere. A lot of 'wow that looks good what's similar/I think that's good what else is new etc.' kind of posts will inevitably occur, and maybe straight after the beginer's guide post isn't the best place for them. If the information is part of a wiki article however it can be kept seperate from the discussion it generates, users can then create more appropriate new threads for whatever it is they want to discuss, or post in existing threads on that subject

3. The wiki might be a little scary at the moment, but it's useful for this kind of thing :yep:
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skipp)
Skipp's 2nd post

Continuing from an idea I had in the comic soc I apologise for putting this idea in more than one place, hopefully this is a less confusing thread for this particular discussion :o:

There has been mention of creating a 'beginer's guide to' in both the comic & anime societies, the original suggestion was to make a thread for this purpose to be stickied, my proposal however is that, if possible, a wiki page is made on each of these subjects instead if that can be stickied in the same way, for the following reasons:

1. Wiki pages may be editted by anyone: Change in these areas is constant, the next big thing in anime or comics that would be essential to the guide could be right around the corner. It's too much to expect one person to constantly update the OP to keep the information up to date & it could be problematic if they become inactive

2. This information is likely going to generate a lot of discussion (let's hope it does :p:), and if it's displayed in the format of a thread things could get untidy very quickly with random responses here there & everywhere. A lot of 'wow that looks good what's similar/I think that's good what else is new etc.' kind of posts will inevitably occur, and maybe straight after the beginer's guide post isn't the best place for them. If the information is part of a wiki article however it can be kept seperate from the discussion it generates, users can then create more appropriate new threads for whatever it is they want to discuss, or post in existing threads on that subject

3. The wiki might be a little scary at the moment, but it's useful for this kind of thing :yep:
Great idea. :yep:

Apply secretmessages' tech wiki template to lighten it up from the usual B/W text drab Wikipedia it is, and you have yourself :coma: Wiki.
skipp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Great idea. :yep:

Apply secretmessages' tech wiki template to lighten it up from the usual B/W text drab Wikipedia it is, and you have yourself :coma: Wiki.
The whole wiki needs some of that secretmessages magic :laugh: but things like that take time and knowhow, maybe oneday it'll all be shiny :moon:
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by skipp)
Skipp's 2nd post

Figured I'd only reply in one place to you as opposed to three. :p:

I'm not that into the Wiki myself, but from how you describe it there could be scope for it to be used. However as far as I know you can't sticky an article, and if you just provide a link not that many people go to check it out (for proof of this check out the medical forum - it has probably the best wiki sections and yet people make the same threads on the same topics every day).

I think the best idea might be a compromise between the two; we have a thread which acts as a glossy overview of the art and provides brief reading material, and then have a wiki which can be worked on by everyone and can grow to be much more comprehensive. Also in this vein it would mean that the thread can be a portal for newcomers to ask questions, if a couple of willing ambassadors from the relevant society keep an eye on it.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Great news and generally good ideas - R.I.P Celeb Gossip... there should be some substitute of some sort for it imo, Celebrity chat or discussion for example
skipp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Figured I'd only reply in one place to you as opposed to three. :p:

I'm not that into the Wiki myself, but from how you describe it there could be scope for it to be used. However as far as I know you can't sticky an article, and if you just provide a link not that many people go to check it out (for proof of this check out the medical forum - it has probably the best wiki sections and yet people make the same threads on the same topics every day).

I think the best idea might be a compromise between the two; we have a thread which acts as a glossy overview of the art and provides brief reading material, and then have a wiki which can be worked on by everyone and can grow to be much more comprehensive. Also in this vein it would mean that the thread can be a portal for newcomers to ask questions, if a couple of willing ambassadors from the relevant society keep an eye on it.
Going out in a bit so will do a full response later, but in essence I like the idea of a glossary type thread, it makes a nice compromise :yep:
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Always wondered why Scifi/Cult was not in TV :holmes:
Willum Infanta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
• The other addition is a Live Entertainment forum. This is an exciting new place to talk about everything that's live and entertaining, including stand up comedians, theatre performances, gigs, concerts and festivals (and magic shows :cool:).
Sounds good, especially the bit I've quoted, should be useful.

And a suggestion from me would be a forum specifically for drawing as I've recently started and wouldn't mind a bit of help from other TSR people (and obviously if I ever get better, give advice to others who need help like I did).
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Willum Infanta)

And a suggestion from me would be a forum specifically for drawing as I've recently started and wouldn't mind a bit of help from other TSR people (and obviously if I ever get better, give advice to others who need help like I did).
Have you tried The Gallery?
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you tried The Gallery?
Oh right, didn't even know it existed :erm:

Where do I find it normally?

Edit: nevermind, found it, thankya Ape
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
Oh right, didn't even know it existed :erm:

Where do I find it normally?

Edit: nevermind, found it, thankya Ape
No problem.

Yeah, sadly, it is an easy forum to miss and doesn't seem to get much activity being tucked away in Chat either. Would be good if it was moved. :holmes:
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No problem.

Yeah, sadly, it is an easy forum to miss and doesn't seem to get much activity being tucked away in Chat either. Would be good if it was moved. :holmes:
Indeed, I've had a looksy round and there is little on what I'm looking for really :sadnod:

I want drawing guides not Islamic Calligraphy or Poems! :rant:

And that gentlemen, Is why I propose a moving/revamp of it.
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
Indeed, I've had a looksy round and there is little on what I'm looking for really :sadnod:

I want drawing guides not Islamic Calligraphy or Poems! :rant:

And that gentlemen, Is why I propose a moving/revamp of it.
But this is the Entertainment forum. :holmes:
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But this is the Entertainment forum. :holmes:
But I find drawing entertaining :puppyeyes:

Oh and entertainment is a sub category of hobbies so I'm sure it could fit in somewhere
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Sounds good, especially the bit I've quoted, should be useful.

As Ape has suggested, The Gallery would probably be best for you. My remit doesn't really cover that forum, so if you are serious about getting it revamped I'd recommend posting in AAM so someone with better knowledge of that area can have a chat with you.
Willum Infanta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As Ape has suggested, The Gallery would probably be best for you. My remit doesn't really cover that forum, so if you are serious about getting it revamped I'd recommend posting in AAM so someone with better knowledge of that area can have a chat with you.
Okey doke, well it was merely a suggestion, I may have to bother a mod to try and get a more focused drawing forum going on if that's possible.

Edit: I actually really dislike suggesting things on forums as usually if something isn't there it's not there for a reason.

I'll just use The Gallery folks.
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
Great news and generally good ideas - R.I.P Celeb Gossip... there should be some substitute of some sort for it imo, Celebrity chat or discussion for example
We get relatively, very little traffic going into Celeb Gossip. Once the changes are made then we'll encourage posts previously made in Celeb Gossip to be made in Chat or the parent Entertainment forum instead
Phalanges
Rep:
?
I just had a look at some of the other forum descriptions and the one for film is so depressingly dull I think it needs to be changed as well. I'm thinking:

"Whether you think cinema died with Hitchcock or only got good once Michael Bay started blowing up helicopters, this is the place to discuss moving pictures"
hobo06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
IRT the Live Entertainment forum...last year we had a sub-forum in Music for festivals, which I think was quite useful. How about doing something similar, but extending it to include discussion on any live music?

I understand that part of the reason for wanting to include music within the Live Entertainment forum is probably to liven it up a bit, as only 5 threads have been posted in within the past week. But those threads may soon easily be buried within countless threads about music, especially as we approach the summer and festival season (expect an influx of Reading/Leeds related threads come Monday :p:)

Just a thought...shoot me down if you see fit!
Phalanges
Rep:
?
(Original post by hobo06)
IRT the Live Entertainment forum...last year we had a sub-forum in Music for festivals, which I think was quite useful. How about doing something similar, but extending it to include discussion on any live music?

I understand that part of the reason for wanting to include music within the Live Entertainment forum is probably to liven it up a bit, as only 5 threads have been posted in within the past week. But those threads may soon easily be buried within countless threads about music, especially as we approach the summer and festival season (expect an influx of Reading/Leeds related threads come Monday :p:)

Just a thought...shoot me down if you see fit!
I believe that the current plan is to still have the festivals subforum but to now make it a subforum of the live entz bit, which will exist year round and would also cover all the other bits of live music such as gigs etc.

Plus yeah, it would be nice to see theatre etc. getting a bit more activity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise