Guns should be legalised in this country Watch

ilickbatteries
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Studentrepreneur)
Well done, you can read. Do you want a medal?

Firearms in the hands of the general public is never a good idea.
hamijack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hunting rifles and shotguns are legal, its just the licensing process is really strict. And lets face it, what is an automatic weapon with a 30 round mag for except killing a ****load of people really quickly? We don't need that kind of stuff here.
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Such a pathetic nanny state we live in. Absolute garbage.

I dont know, the state of that nanny is pretty bad too!

(Original post by Gap)
You do realise that you're not even allowed to assault robbers within your own home as they will sue you?
You do realise that your grasp on the law makes Lional Hutz look like a world renowned expert?
JO FO SHO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well, going to the school which made the news for like 2 days involving an airgun incident... i concur that there are far too many idiots "in this country" to be trusted with legalised firearms
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
Well done, you can read. Do you want a medal?

Firearms in the hands of the general public is never a good idea.
Why are you entertaining him? You must surely realise that anyone who makes an outlandish claim and backs it up only a quote he heard in his GCSE History class is clearly a moron?
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adam_zed)
Why are you entertaining him? You must surely realise that anyone who makes an outlandish claim and backs it up only a quote he heard in his GCSE History class is clearly a moron?
Aye man, but I'm bored
hamijack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shortarse1)
I refer you to Switzerland.

Even less firearms regulation than the US.
Where everybody does military service during which they are taught to respect weapons and how to use them properly, unlike in the USA.
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The problem is when lots of chavs have guns too.
ArcadiaHouse
Report 7 years ago
Yeah because a Columbine-style massacre is exactly what we need :rolleyes:
spazman21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I really wish people would do some research before implying truths that on closer inspection are simply spurious.

tez.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spazman21)
I really wish people would do some research before implying truths that on closer inspection are simply spurious.

This this this, note that the figures only take into account intentional firearms deaths, adjust these figures for accidental misuse and non-fatal injuries and the figures look even worse.

You can use a quote from Franklin all you like (one that isn't exactly watertight and sounds more intelligent than it is), but it doesn't justify looser firearms regulation.
Bosch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Such a pathetic nanny state we live in. We're not allowed to own firearms to protect ourselves? Absolute garbage.
How do you defend yourself with a gun? Shoot thier bullet as it comes out the gun? You are even more retarded than people who carry knives in "defence". Id love to see you defend yourself when You get shot through the head and robbed, then spend the rest of your life trying to learn to speak again (Don't worry, you can buy another gun to defend yourself next time!)

BERK
Greenlaner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I totally agree. The current situation is pathetic and our ever tightening gun control laws over the past few decades have NOT made us safer in this country. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.

I would personally like to see a firearms licensing system, which allows citizens with no criminal record and no mental health issues to possess and carry arms for defence. Something along the lines of other European examples, such as the Czech Rep, Slovakia, Austria or Switzerland (Countries which all by the way, have far lower murder and violent crime rates and than the UK.)

Unfortunately you might be wasting your time making a pro-gun thread on this forum, because you will mostly get asinine and uneducated comments such as; "no, guns are bad", "more guns = more crime", "look at America, nuff said", "but then the chavs will have guns". :facepalm:
spazman21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Greenlaner)
I totally agree. The current situation is pathetic and our ever tightening gun control laws over the past few decades have NOT made us safer in this country. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results.

I would personally like to see a firearms licensing system, which allows citizens with no criminal record and no mental health issues to possess and carry arms for defence. Something along the lines of other European examples, such as the Czech Rep, Slovakia, Austria or Switzerland (Countries which all by the way, have far lower murder and violent crime rates and than the UK.)

Unfortunately you might be wasting your time making a pro-gun thread on this forum, because you will mostly get asinine and uneducated comments such as; "no, guns are bad", "more guns = more crime", "look at America, nuff said", "but then the chavs will have guns". :facepalm:
See my above post.
autodidact
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Those quoting stats pertaining to gun related deaths should look up the statistics for knife crime, and other forms of violence. Guns don't kill people, people do, it has more t do with society and culture.

Buuuuuut I don't think legalising guns will do any good for the UK, it's already a very violent place and a dysfuntional society in general (inb4 someone says "wanna move to somalia?" or something really dumb) and adding guns into the mix will just make killers more efficient IMO. Also I dislike guns in general and see them as toys for fat manchildren who want to feel big.
dring
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the words of Benjamin Franklin

Those that are willing to give up their liberty for security deserve neither

Yeah absolute joke

I guess you looked up 'liberty' in a dictionary and it said 'owning a gun'.

I think you need a better dictionary.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate . I like being in a country near the bottom of the list.
dring
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

They also have a significantly different culture (e.g. national service) and population distribution.
Greenlaner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spazman21)

That chart is the most biased, misleading piece of crap i have ever seen. Comparing only 19 countries out of 200+ is not exactly a good representative of global gun ownership rates to the gun death ratio, is it. :rolleyes:

And that brings me onto my next point, that this chart only relates to "gun deaths". Now "gun deaths" include murder and manslaughter with firearms (not overall murders), but also accidents, suicides, fatal shootings carried out by the police, and lawful self defence killings. Gun death rates alone are not a good indicator of how dangerous or safe a country is.

If you took those same countries in that chart, but this time compared the ratio of gun ownership to the overall murder rate (not just gun murders), or even serious violent crime rates, you would see a completely different layout. You will also find that there is virtually NO correlation between gun ownership and overall murder rates.
LawBore
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Yeah, I'd feel so safe walking around my town at night knowing that I could bump into a gang of 9mm-wielding chavs :rolleyes:
As opposed to knife-wielding ones?
Potiron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Greenlaner)
That chart is the most biased, misleading piece of crap i have ever seen. Comparing only 19 countries out of 200+ is not exactly a good representative of global gun ownership rates to the gun death ratio, is it. :rolleyes:

And that brings me onto my next point, that this chart only relates to "gun deaths". Now "gun deaths" include murder and manslaughter with firearms (not overall murders), but also accidents, suicides, fatal shootings carried out by the police, and lawful self defence killings. Gun death rates alone are not a good indicator of how dangerous or safe a country is.

If you took those same countries in that chart, but this time compared the ratio of gun ownership to the overall murder rate (not just gun murders), or even serious violent crime rates, you would see a completely different layout. You will also find that there is virtually NO correlation between gun ownership and overall murder rates.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it actually says "intentional gun deaths," which is slightly different to what you quoted. Most people wouldn't count an accident as an intentional gun death.

And either way, there are lots of gun deaths; to the guy who's lying on the floor bleeding it doesn't really matter to him whether they meant to or not. I still quite like being far down the list.

However, I believe Switzerland has quite a high suicide rate (presumably guns don't make you happy), and I would imagine that that has been included in the 'intentional deaths / 100000' figure, as it is one of the crucial stats the anti-gun lobby used before the recent referendum.

If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

(Original post by LawBore)
As opposed to knife-wielding ones?
At least you can run away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
27.97%
No (569)
72.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise