Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Your view?
    His comments were racist and unacceptable
    12.64%
    He made a fair point, Midsomer should reflect the reality of rural England
    54.02%
    OMGZZZZ PC GONE MAAAAD!
    16.09%
    Who cares? Midsomer is crap. Ed Miliband for PM.
    17.24%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    His comment was idiotic but I understand why there are no ethnic minorities in the program.

ReputationRep:
    I think I understand what he's saying and it seems he may have been taken out of context but it's still a bit of a daft thing to say in those words.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think his comments were too bad.

It's understandable that they want to create the scene of a typical English village. Also, even if his comments were unacceptable, suspending him is still a bit of an overreaction considering all he's done for the programme. It annoys me that people can just potentially get sacked, despite years of great work, for some stupid non-event like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by autodidact)
    Welsh culture?
    Also boring, but not mind-numbingly so...

ReputationRep:
    This is nuts.
    I am currently living in semi-rural somerset. There are no black or asian people!
    So the guy is right, in that it just wouldn't really work.

ReputationRep:
    Midsomer Murders simply proves that if you have an all-white village someone gets murdered once a week.

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of James Bond. Blacks complained that they were underrepresented in the Bond movies so they introduced Kananga, Teehee and the like in 'Live and Let Die' - blacks then moaned that the Bond producers were racist because they portrayed black people as villains! You can't win either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Also boring, but not mind-numbingly so...
    How so? There's no significant difference; same bland food and decadent lifestyle, same miserable weather, same grim post industrial aesthetic, more or less the same people. It's basically exactly the same except dumpier, there's less to do and without any where near as much vibrance imported from abroad or recent cutural innovation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by autodidact)
    How so? There's no significant difference; same bland food and decadent lifestyle, same miserable weather, same grim post industrial aesthetic, more or less the same people. It's basically exactly the same except dumpier, there's less to do and without any where near as much vibrance imported from abroad or recent cutural innovation.
    Yeah but this 'English' culture is excluding external influence, putting it back to square one in that respect.

To me (a Scot raised in England), the Welsh language alone makes Welsh culture more interesting than English, simply because it is different.

ReputationRep:
    thing is though they cant really win. If they include ethnic minorities they will (like all the other cast members) be murdered, murderers or murder suspects and PC mad people arent going to be happy with that either

ReputationRep:
    Lol Midsummer murders is more often than not about crimes behind closed doors, whereas if there were more black people with their gangster rap there would be just more shoplifting and probably more rapes too.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks this is racist is a complete tool.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand is how the area in the programme isn't entirely void of human population by now

ReputationRep:
    If something like this can spark "controversy" and get someone suspended these days, then I'd love to see the reaction if they decided to revamp Love Thy Neighbour.

ReputationRep:
    I watched a documentary about Africa and there wasn't no white people anywhere. RACIST.

ReputationRep:
    This has been blown out of proportion, the program is meant to portray English rural life and it does so in a stereotypical way as its what will spring to mind when most people think of rural England.

If Midsomer Murders is 'racist' we might as well take Neighbours off the air for being too Australian and Friends for being too American... etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    What I don't understand is how the area in the programme isn't entirely void of human population by now
    :rofl: Thats what i want to know!

Midsomer's portrayal of ethnicity in an english village : Completely accurate.

Midsomer's portrayal of what happens in an english village: Not so much...

ReputationRep:
    How stupid. I grew up in a small village in South Yorkshire and I've never seen anyone who wasn't white there, infact I was about 12 before I had ever seen a black person ANYWHERE. Adding in the token "village black guy" is racist, not pandering to tokenism and PC-morons (who have probably never lived outside of a big city) is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Yeah but this 'English' culture is excluding external influence, putting it back to square one in that respect.

To me (a Scot raised in England), the Welsh language alone makes Welsh culture more interesting than English, simply because it is different.
    Pretty much all culture comes externally and is then adapted and assimilated, not just in the UK or even just Europe either. The enitre Mediterranean has culturally taken from eachother for thousands of years and they are much richer for it. The reason why France is so reknowned for it's culture is that it has influences from the Mediterranean and also Northern Europe. The problem with the UK is that our culture was ruined starting with irresponsible industrialization and urbanization in the 19th century, raw capitalism basically. A responce to this was the invention and manufactured revival of what's associated with Scottish culture (kilts, tartan, haggis etc).

Anyway, the Welsh language is intresting, but culture and language are only tenuously related, not one and the same.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seems to get suspended over the smallest things these days.

I mean, how often do you see a chinese/indian/jamaican etc etc family in an english villiage?

I agree with what Brian says.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.