Mm_Minty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Holly Hiskey)
It wasn't that clear, sorry

I know, sooo annoying!
Everyone on my course has a group on Facebook going to help with various work assignments, and one girl keeps popping up to ask for help. She has 5 dissection write ups to do before the end of term (which take a good 4-6 hours each), 4 essays (one of which was due in last week so she's lost 10%), 3 other assignments that were due in weeks ago so she'll have lost marks and then two exams next week, and when asked why she hasn't done them she just said "I don't want to be the sad act sitting in my room doing work whilst everyone else is going out and getting drunk and going to parties".
Why come to uni then?

LOLWUT????? :lolwut:
I don't even....
ChaoticSkills
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol btecs are easy as **** i sat on my arse all day and did the coursework literally in the lastweek got D/M

shame I'm on a useless uni course
Kiwihoney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
haha in my school people were like that when they were like 14?!! thank god it all changed when we turned 16/17...
street.lovin'
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to say that in a BTEC classroom you get that a lot. My boyfriend does BTEC Construction and he said that a lot of people who does BTEC are ones who dropped out of college before or ones that don't do well at GCSEs (my BF, for one). So, it is quite easy to assume that their attitudes are going to be like that. I understand you OP, some people just aren't trying at all.

(Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
I have to be blunt here, Harry. You're studying a BTEC in Construction, what did you expect? It is hardly going to be full of die hard academics willing to continually learn and improve their understanding and appreciation of the world around them by pushing themselves to do the best they can through the medium of education, is it? I mean, where does a BTEC in Construction even lead? Employment as a CSCS card holding labourer or groundworker paying £6.00 an hour? University? Please enlighten me.
You are being so narrow minded here. So I might have to be blunt with you as well. BTEC can lead you to do lots of things. A lot of people might say it's not as respected as A-levels, but what you have to understand is that you cannot just assume people who does BTEC will do tha tkind of jobs. The texts in bold from your comment is a bit of an insult. I know people who does BTEC Construction and they get intereviewed with big construction companies for a job. (Whether they get it or not, it's another story.) They don't end up being groundworkers or a CSCS card holding labourer as you suggested.

BTEC Construction can lead to university. I, personally, think it gives you very good research skills. BTEC Construction gives you very very good knowledge of what happen in Construction step by step. It's also very practical, they learn how to use CAD, learn the structure of buildings and every single details of it. It's not easy. I think BTEC Construction is very suitable for Building Surveying degree at uni. Mainly because it's just good. (A lot of people would neg me for this) I am no expert in Building Surveying, by the way.

Also, you need very good time management, because having 6 or more assignment to finish off in very short period of time are not easy. I fyou can't do that, you will just end up with MMM or PPP or somthing like that. :P

Just because majority of people who go to FE College and does BTEC are drop out students/students who failed at GCSEs because they didn't try hard, it doesn't mean they ALL will end up doing badly in life (e.g. becoming groundworkers and got paid £6 an hour.) I know few people who did amazing at GCSEs and go for BTEC Construction because it's what he wants to do and it's what interests him the most.

I agree with the first half of your comment about how people on the course are often ones with bad attitudes, but I am not saying they all are and they all will be. It is just nto a surprise for me when I heard this kind of story. However, you have no right to insult someone els's qualification. It doesn't affect your life.

But you did, why?
clad in armour
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I know, sooo annoying!
Everyone on my course has a group on Facebook going to help with various work assignments, and one girl keeps popping up to ask for help. She has 5 dissection write ups to do before the end of term (which take a good 4-6 hours each), 4 essays (one of which was due in last week so she's lost 10%), 3 other assignments that were due in weeks ago so she'll have lost marks and then two exams next week, and when asked why she hasn't done them she just said "I don't want to be the sad act sitting in my room doing work whilst everyone else is going out and getting drunk and going to parties".
Why come to uni then?
how do you know all that stuff about her :lolwut:
Horsedobbin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
I am not on about whether they are poor, rich, snobby or old but moreso to do with their attitude, work ethic and general 'can't be arsed' with this course BUT OMFG UNI IS HERE!" mentality.

I'll give you my example.

My class got merged with 2 separate classes, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, the first class has a total of 15ish lads aged 18/19 and the second is between 17-21. My class is aged 22-34 but only 4 of us, mature students as you see but this is college and not university.

These two classes have destroyed our progress and in some cases my ability to nod off is becoming ever more common because I have to face the truth, these 2 classes are ****ing atrocious.

Its a class of 20, 1 tutor and they are always reminding me how I hated high school.

-Late by 10 mins to 1 hour (like seriously?),

-Have no paper, yes I am serious, they also whine about "no pen can I have one?"

-Talking loudly and nattering away constantly, throwing stuff as they do, not paying attention and being thick as **** on simple subjects.

-They get told to shut it but the tutor doesn't have a firm grip on the situation and tbh their previous one didn't either.

-They dont even write the stuff down which the tutor says they need too and then take up his time asking "what was that?" or "don't know what to do" I expect that from primary school but these people take the piss.

-Messing with phones constantly and interested in what youtube has to feed them to get by.

That is just the first class

The second class is that AND more.

-We have 2 asian ****ers mouthing Islamic insurgent ****e randomly, we got 2 girls who squeal when the guys do stuff and to top it off this SIMPLE survey practical we did this afternoon was just pathetic.

Using the equipment as spears, ****ign around on phones and doing other andom crap, me and the others out of my original class did all the work.

One group failed to get data from one spot and their excuses were "I thought they did it", "we couldn't do it", "it wasn't set up right" etc, et ****ing cetera.

I have 12 lessons to go and then I am done and by the looks of it I will have the marks required for my course but what scares me is the fact a big chunk of these arsewipes want to go to university and I know they will get to their uni, although they wouldn't touch a decent course because they wont be accepted.

This is whats wrong with uni, not the fact that it can be done on loans but the sheer fact that most of these useless twatts can accumulate a certain number of points, direct themselves towards a course no matter how crap it may be and just float around like a useless turd.

I saw 1 kid in the first class who could maybe buckle up and get going on a uni course but he has said they are way behind and he doesn't know what to do about it. The thing is he comes in late quite a fair bit so he has no chance.

My course is level 3, most if not all university courses are level 4 or higher from year 1. How these people are not removed from the course quickly to give someone else a chance is beyond me and yes, they will be removed from the course or drop out because thats who they are, a waste of space in the institution.

I know I shouldn't get worked up over this but the big factor most of these types of students will be pushing for a university spot is the hike in fees but those who can do the work and want to may find themselves pushed out.

"OMFG! gotta get to uni man!, gotta get there!" I heard one of these clowns say exactly that. I did a /palmface

How many people here knows people like this going to uni this september?
What you don't realise is that most of the "students" in your class are not students but unemployed and unemployable people who are getting a form of low dole. Maybe some of them can still get the ema or their parents get child benefit as long as they stay in full time education, or at least stay on the register and give the superficial appearance of being in education. Some of them are so thick they don't realise that they are really unemployed and the college is like a kind of day centre for them to waste their time until they are old enough to sign on for some kind of unemployment, pretend work scheme that will lead to nothing.
The truth is that there is no demand in the economy for people like them : they are essentially destined to be parasites and to live off state benefits for the rest of their lives. The college takes them and keeps them on courses to get the funding from the government so they can stay in business and not have to make too many staff redundant or have to merge with another college-or even shut down, which even the principal doesn't want, because he/she will lose his/her own job.They are on the course because it all looks good on paper: on paper they are in education and doing something useful, but you can see the reality is that they are not doing anything except being stupid.
Maybe some of t his wouldn't matter if it wasn't holding back and spoiling lessons for people like you who actually are intelligent enough to understand what's going on in the lesson and who can get something out of it.
The college won't chuck them out because it will lose funding, the most that will happen is that they will get some king of meaningless warning and be encouraged to carry on. The teacher will no doubt get the blame if anyone complains about the lesson because he's the one who costs the college money and he's very easy to replace with someone cheaper these days.The teacher can't discipline them in any meaningful way because there is probably no back up for him and if they complain about him , he will get the blame, not them. He will be told he doesn't make the lessons interesting enough, or some such crap.
TheSilentG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I know, sooo annoying!
Why come to uni then?
ROFL are you serious?
username321708
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by street.lovin')
Just because majority of people who go to FE College and does BTEC are drop out students/students who failed at GCSEs because they didn't try hard, it doesn't mean they ALL will end up doing badly in life (e.g. becoming groundworkers and got paid £6 an hour.) I know few people who did amazing at GCSEs and go for BTEC Construction because it's what he wants to do and it's what interests him the most.

I agree with the first half of your comment about how people on the course are often ones with bad attitudes, but I am not saying they all are and they all will be. It is just not a surprise for me when I heard this kind of story. However, you have no right to insult someone else's qualification. It doesn't affect your life.

But you did, why?
Where did I insult his qualifications? I asked him to enlighten me as to where it was going to lead and I asked him to tell me.

'Enlighten. Give information to'.
Nowhere in my reply did I imply that he was an idiot or criticize his choice of course. I merely said that people with outstanding academic capability were not going to be found on a BTEC Construction course, i.e, in reality there is bound to be a good proportion of idiots on the course who like nothing more than to mess around because they can not take their studies seriously. By the way, I've done 3 months of a BTEC course before and I gained first hand experience of studying a subject alongside time wasting idiots, attention seekers and people placed onto the course by the local council welfare officers. You wrongly presumed I was some sort of academic snob by the retort in your reply, you should not be so quick to judge others on their opinions if you do not agree with them.

Everyone I know who has studied any construction related college course ends up as a labourer, a groundworker, or using the plant machinery, and £6.00 is the going rate for a labourer. I have many acquaintances who have worked or are currently working in the construction industry. Also, I did not insinuate that getting £6.00 as a labourer was a bad thing, unlike you. My words might sound insulting but I did say I was going to be blunt. I will never apologize for being direct and frank.
insoms
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is whats wrong with uni, not the fact that it can be done on loans but the sheer fact that most of these useless twatts can accumulate a certain number of points, direct themselves towards a course no matter how crap it may be and just float around like a useless turd.
Amen brother. ANd so many people at university are like this by the way. Don't worry they either fail or get kicked off or if they settled for a crap uni and a crap course graduate with a 2.2 and get nowhere suddenly.

Oh and the reason they're all saying "Gotta get to uni" is cause they've heard how much fun partying is and student lifestlyle and their older friends who've said about freshers week and having independance.

To these people university = partying and then at the end of it you're handed an awesome job.

They're in for a shock
thewiseone
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Boring troll is boring.

Oh, and also angry.
username321708
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thewiseone)
Boring troll is boring.

Oh, and also angry.
The 'potato hate' image in your sig made me chuckle.
J_90
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol BTEC.
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I kind of understand where you're coming from. In my year theres people who go out drinking four - five days of the week and roll into school the next day hungover. It's a joke, I see them on facebook "Drunk on a tuesday... why not? " It's stupid because these are the people who got D-U's in their results last week and are acting outraged because they might not get their places at university.

One had the nerve to complain she'd gotten rejected from King's College when she's out drinking rather than spending some of that time studying. I honestly think these people will end up dropping out at university as their level of committment is shocking, their places could go to people who actually care about getting a degree than a bunch of drunk idiots.
street.lovin'
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nowhere in my reply did I imply that he was an idiot or criticize his choice of course. I merely said that people with outstanding academic capability were not going to be found on a BTEC Construction course, i.e, in reality there is bound to be a good proportion of idiots on the course who like nothing more than to mess around because they can not take their studies seriously. By the way, I've done 3 months of a BTEC course before and I gained first hand experience of studying a subject alongside time wasting idiots, attention seekers and people placed onto the course by the local council welfare officers. You wrongly presumed I was some sort of academic snob by the retort in your reply, you should not be so quick to judge others on their opinions if you do not agree with them.

Everyone I know who has studied any construction related college course ends up as a labourer, a groundworker, or using the plant machinery, and £6.00 is the going rate for a labourer. I have many acquaintances who have worked or are currently working in the construction industry. Also, I did not insinuate that getting £6.00 as a labourer was a bad thing, unlike you. My words might sound insulting but I did say I was going to be blunt. I will never apologize for being direct and frank.
Your words sound insulting. You insulted OP by suggesting his qualification leads to being groundworkers and labourers who get £6 per hour. You might not feel it, but it seemed like you imply he could have end up doing the same thing. You were ignoring the fact that, although, he does BTEC Construction, he is very very hardworking and is hoping to go to uni. You didn't have to ask where his BTEC was going to lead to as the asnwer was already in his original post (going to uni).

You didn't say getting £6 an hour is a bad thing but you put it in your post. :P If it was not a bad thing and to avoid people getting the wrong impression, you shouldn't have put it in at all because the information was not needed, you could have just said 'being groundworkers or labourer'....shouldn't state the wage. Anyway, neither did I say it was a bad thing. I was merely quoting you. :P

The text in bold = wrong. You have failed to state the fact. It is not true. If you read my previous post, you would know that there are people who did amazingly at GCSEs. Some people on TSR also did construction-related college course and made it to uni to do Architecture, Building Surveying degree. Some are even doing postgraduate degree. :P

Just because everyone you 'know' who did the course ended up as labourers, groundworkers, it doesn't mean everyone who does the course will. You cannot generalise they all are going to be like that and you cannot , again, generalise everyone who does BTEC Construction aren't outstandingly academic. If you are talking about majority, then probably yes. But it is not everybody.

Lastly, I never asked you to apologise.
Holly Hiskey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSilentG)
ROFL are you serious?
Her exact words.....
Although I don't know who she's going out with anyone because even the most hardened party-goers have spent the last week or so in the library panicking because we've got so much work at the moment.
Holly Hiskey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by clad in armour)
how do you know all that stuff about her :lolwut:
She posts it on the facebook group all the time, plus she speaks to one of my friends quite a lot and it's become a running joke about how much work she's got to do before the end of term.
HARRY PUTAH
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Gimothy)
Sorry, I guess I've been spoiled by well-written English. Yunno, at my university that isn't filled with retards.
I guess the line "this is college, not University" makes you a very confused person. Stick to something you're good at which is clicking the next thread button.

(Original post by Jimi_B)
Stop moaning,

Your doing BTEC construction,

If your that bothered pay for private tutoring?
No **** sherlock, want to try and insult my choice, my only choice at learning about a subject outside of hands-on work which i have had and still involve myself in?

Do you know what a building surveyor is? A quantity surveyor? What the difference between an Architect and a designer is? Just a tiny, tiny piece of info you can learn doing this course, it builds a picture and gives you an overview of each field in construction. My chosen degree is Building Surveying, please, please try and insult me. I dare ya.

A-levels are only different by having exams and more regulation, thats it. I did them when they were harder and I didn't get spoon fed subjects like most kids do these days. Chin up there boy, you might find a way to insult me but I would just laugh in your face.

(Original post by cjcw20)
Well you are college, most colleges are full of kids like that... Immature, lazy, not knowing what they want to do with their lives, thinking/being told college is their best option when its not, just the easiest. At the end of the day, you get back what you put in. Yes they may scrape into uni, but if they continue with the same attitude then they won't get very far. Just concentrate on yourself and your own work.
I know, I did college twice but the fact remains, these types of people are a waste of time, effort and money. Those important resources are best spent elsewhere.
HARRY PUTAH
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by street.lovin')
Your words sound insulting. You insulted OP by suggesting his qualification leads to being groundworkers and labourers who get £6 per hour. You might not feel it, but it seemed like you imply he could have end up doing the same thing. You were ignoring the fact that, although, he does BTEC Construction, he is very very hardworking and is hoping to go to uni. You didn't have to ask where his BTEC was going to lead to as the asnwer was already in his original post (going to uni).

You didn't say getting £6 an hour is a bad thing but you put it in your post. :P If it was not a bad thing and to avoid people getting the wrong impression, you shouldn't have put it in at all because the information was not needed, you could have just said 'being groundworkers or labourer'....shouldn't state the wage. Anyway, neither did I say it was a bad thing. I was merely quoting you. :P

The text in bold = wrong. You have failed to state the fact. It is not true. If you read my previous post, you would know that there are people who did amazingly at GCSEs. Some people on TSR also did construction-related college course and made it to uni to do Architecture, Building Surveying degree. Some are even doing postgraduate degree. :P

Just because everyone you 'know' who did the course ended up as labourers, groundworkers, it doesn't mean everyone who does the course will. You cannot generalise they all are going to be like that and you cannot , again, generalise everyone who does BTEC Construction aren't outstandingly academic. If you are talking about majority, then probably yes. But it is not everybody.

Lastly, I never asked you to apologise.

awww /pat

He fails to understand simple text on a website as I have stated a few times "BUILDING SURVEYING"...this guy and some others on page 1 are still mystified over reading a simple post, probably the same people i come across at college these days.

Oh you didn't insult me, you tried to but my skin is too thick nor do i care for random peoples opinions on subjects they have no clue about.

So labourers and brickies are useless? granted they're no scientist they are more useful to an economy than a sad sack of ****e who thinks the world needs more media study jobs or psychologists. We have a brickie in my class who can earn more than £10.00 an hour, thats better than a lot of pick-me-up jobs round the country. The other 2 are joiners with years of expertise and graft.

I went to a course invitation day last month and I enjoyed it but more importantly I knew I would enjoy the course. Why?

They went on to discuss and show some examples of work they do during the course (year 1-Year 4) and my face lit up when i saw what they had planned. I have already delved into the subject modules, not as deeply but I know more than some A-level student who hasn't touched a construction module before.

BTEC construction is useful and when you're screwed by age you cannot just go into any course, its not allowed.
cjcw20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know, I did college twice but the fact remains, these types of people are a waste of time, effort and money. Those important resources are best spent elsewhere.
I know what you're saying, but its not your problem to worry about unless its having a detrimental effect on your work and grades? If it is, then there's no point complaining to us on here. Take it up with one of your tutors. If it isn't, then just put your head down and get on with it. There's going to be people in your uni classes who you wont like and who you think are slackers too. And it'll be the same in your eventual work place. Its the same everywhere. As long as you get out of it what you want, f*ck the rest.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.51%
No (449)
60.68%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.81%

Watched Threads