Turn on thread page Beta

Was Henry VIII’s fourth wife Anne of Cleves very ugly? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Au contraire. Most of the larger noble families (such as the Howards and Seymours) were related by marriage at this time, to keep the noble lines intact...

Jane Seymour was half second cousin to Anne Boleyn: they shared the same great-grandmother. She was also fifth cousin, three times removed to Henry VIII via a connection through King Edward III.

Catherine Howard was first cousin to Anne Boleyn. Catherine's father was the brother of Anne's mother.

Yes but not the same as saying 'cousin' since they were hardly first cousins, which is what everyone would take that to mean.

Yeah I doubt she was ugly too, just plainer than the portrait showed. I think the bigger problem with her was her clothes- they were very conservative in comparison to the English court, and she herself was so sheltered from the reality of life at court.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

I'd hit it.... with my Jack of spades.

ReputationRep:
    Anne boleyn wasnt ugly she was really pretty.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Jane Seymour was not Anne Boleyn's cousin, nor was she beautiful. Contemporary descriptions of her point out that it was her character, not her appearance, that made her attractive to the king. They make a point of not saying she was pretty, let alone beautiful. And her portrait bears that out, she had a weak chin, a big nose, and beady eyes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JaniceFromJersey)
    Jane Seymour was not Anne Boleyn's cousin, nor was she beautiful. Contemporary descriptions of her point out that it was her character, not her appearance, that made her attractive to the king. They make a point of not saying she was pretty, let alone beautiful. And her portrait bears that out, she had a weak chin, a big nose, and beady eyes.
    Hi, this thread is over 2 years old! :eek: We don't encourage bumping old threads, so I would suggest making a new one. :yep:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.