Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    @ForGreatJustice: I understand the point. Btw, how do math undegraduates of Cambridge spend their summers? Do they participate in research programmes outside cambridge?
    @Prisoner Zero: Why would you choose Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused314)
    @ForGreatJustice: I understand the point. Btw, how do math undegraduates of Cambridge spend their summers? Do they participate in research programmes outside cambridge?
    @Prisoner Zero: Why would you choose Cambridge?
    Most maths people I know are doing internships at investment banks, or just relaxing. Last summer I ust played starcraft II all day all night.

I know there do exist research programmes, I know oxford does one, but I didn't find any of the projects appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForGreatJustice)
    I know there do exist research programmes, I know oxford does one, but I didn't find any of the projects appealing.
    Just out of curiosity, what are the existing research programmes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piecewise)
    Just out of curiosity, what are the existing research programmes?
    https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fi...with_radek.doc

This document shows what projects were available this summer.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend Maths at MIT for you, simply based on that fact you say Math as opposed to mathematics or maths

ReputationRep:
    American Unis trump Brit ones anytime. Its not something to neg about, its the truth.

ReputationRep:
    @Soppe: I usually use the word maths instead of math :P
    Btw, does anyone know if at cambridge they do research in computational mathematics?
    Also, how easy is it for a UK undergrad to do his graduate studies in US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused314)
    Hello! I am lucky enough to have been accepted at MIT, and offered a place at Cambridge and unfortunately I cannot attend both.

I do love math but I am not yet sure if I want to pursue a math major at university.
    I am sure I do not enjoy anything else as I do enjoy mathematics but still, I feel I would like to have a broader education or a free year to decide about my major later. Is it possible at Cambridge to change your major. I have read that 10% of math majors do change, but is this truly feasible?
    I have heart that the math program at cambridge is very rigorous and math oriented and those who graduate end up knowing pretty cool math.
    What is the case with MIT, is the program rigorous? Do students get disoriented with all the GIRs?
    Also, I know that life at mit and people at mit are open to international students and fun to be around? Has anyone experienced the atmosphere at cambridge? Is it easy to make friends at cambridge?
    At MIT you get to do research through UROP, there is no such thing for Cambridge, (I am mistaken?) But, you get to learn how to do math, which might be more important.

If you have anything to add or clarify please do so.
    I have to say that I feel like at Home in both places, that I have visited and loved. Also, that I have many friends going to MIT but quite a few at cambridge as well.
    Thanks.
    can I ask where did you end up going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    Perhaps, but then again, I don't know, because I'm at either yet.
    There are not many courses more rigorous than Cambridge's - not in the West anyway.
    Harvard 55 is just a course, Cambridge tripos is a degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 391iady)
    can I ask where did you end up going to?
    Lol he's probably finished his PhD in Maths by now and has kids :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanThomas12)
    Lol he's probably finished his PhD in Maths by now and has kids :P
    If he did do a PhD, I don't think he's quite finished it

ReputationRep:
    My recommendation would be Trinity College, Cambridge for undergraduate maths followed by Ph.D. in Maths at MIT. I'd say that the Mathematical Tripos at Cambridge University is the hardest maths course in the world and for someone who genuinely loves maths, would be a dream to study. However, given the exceptional research opportunities and brilliant faculty at MIT, it would be a brilliant place to study for a postgraduate degree in maths.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2018

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.