Cost issues aside, would you get a Macbook Pro or Air? Watch

WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mahaneap)
They're also ridiculously expensive. You could get a normal computer with identical specifications for literally half the price.
Find me a thin and light 13" laptop with the same specs as the MBP 13" for £425 and I will agree with you. Else, you are wrong.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
iPad 2 (with top specs: 64GB Wi-Fi + 3G)
Simples!
As nice as tablets are, they aren't even close to being a decent replacement to a conventional computer.
mahaneap
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Find me a thin and light 13" laptop with the same specs as the MBP 13" for £425 and I will agree with you. Else, you are wrong.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-5...02299-pdt.html
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
15.6" Screen. Too Big.
2.6kg. Too heavy.
25-34 mm thick. Too bulky.
3.5 hour battery life. Too low.

Try again?
Maybe not :P

edit - neg rep cos I proved you wrong? Nice.
ritchie888
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like you need a Thinkpad.
kunjar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spec-ed up windows hands down. Microsoft got most of it right with windows 7. I can run it on my amd athlon 3000 from 2003.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/s...2own-2011/8358

LOL
mahaneap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
15.6" Screen. Too Big.
2.6kg. Too heavy.

Try again?
All your criticisms are based on what it looks like. As a computer, it's just as good, if not better. A bigger screen is better than a small one.

The battery life isn't as good, but for the money you'd save, you could easily buy 10 spare batteries if you really wanted to.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All your criticisms are based on what it looks like. As a computer, it's just as good, if not better. A bigger screen is better than a small one.

The battery life isn't as good, but for the money you'd save, you could easily buy 10 spare batteries if you really wanted to.
No its not.
Size, weight and bulk are important factors when buying a laptop.
Especially one that you intend to use on the bus or train.

When I got my 13" MBP, I specifically wanted a 13" laptop, that was thin, light and had a good battery life. The macbook pro fits those criteria, and is around the same price as its competitors. And why would I want to buy extra batteries? Adding extra bulk and cost.

If you can find a 13" laptop, that is as small and light as the MBP is, and has a good battery life, for £450, I will concede that you are right. Otherwise you were wrong.
FloppyBunny789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which one runs windows?

Oh.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wm123)
Which one runs windows?

Oh.
Both.

(Original post by kunjar)
Spec-ed up windows hands down. Microsoft got most of it right with windows 7. I can run it on my amd athlon 3000 from 2003.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/s...2own-2011/8358

LOL
A bit ironic linking to a story about security when saying Windows is better .
At the end of the day, both platforms are as vulnerable as the other.
The difference is that because Windows has the much bigger market share, more malware is targetted towards that platform.
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you can find a 13" laptop, that is as small and light as the MBP is, and has a good battery life, for £450, I will concede that you are right. Otherwise you were wrong.
You can get an Acer Aspire 4820TG which murders the Pro in specs and price.

But same specs at half price is very unrealistic.

Edit: not 13" but I think you can easily meet that compromise for the spec/price ratio..
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)
You can get an Acer Aspire 4820TG which murders the Pro in specs and price.

But same specs at half price is very unrealistic.

Edit: not 13" but I think you can easily meet that compromise for the spec/price ratio..
As you said, its not 13". One of my requirements when getting my MBP was the 13" size (it was replacing a 15" laptop and a 9" netbook, so had to meet in the middle).
And yep, I know the same specs at half the price is unrealistic. I wasn't the person who made that claim.

edit - just had a look and it is 14". Probably a bit too big really, but it may have been ok. But it seems to be only a tiny bit cheaper than the MBP (most places seem to be selling it for around £800).
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
edit - just had a look and it is 14". Probably a bit too big really, but it may have been ok. But it seems to be only a tiny bit cheaper than the MBP (most places seem to be selling it for around £800).

http://www.computeruniverse.net/prod...nks-w7hp64.asp

It'd come to about £650 with postage. No VAT or customs to pay either, +1 to the EU

I'm sure for the savings 0.7 inches isn't going to make much difference, especially as it's diagonal difference.
Nomolos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MacBook Air.
I have just sold my MBP to get a MBA. They are so much lighter, brighter, and more portable.
Unless you use heavy editing software (music or graphics software) then you won't see much difference in processors either.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)

http://www.computeruniverse.net/prod...nks-w7hp64.asp

It'd come to about £650 with postage. No VAT or customs to pay either, +1 to the EU

I'm sure for the savings 0.7 inches isn't going to make much difference, especially as it's diagonal difference.
As I said, the size was the main factor. I spend 10 hours each weekend on trains / buses, and especially considering the fact they are mostly old trains / buses which are smaller, the small size of the 13" Macbook Pro is a huge plus. On some of the trains and buses I travel on, even my MBP is a tad too big really.

Although judging from the actual specs, they do seem around the same size. So that may be a moot point.

But in terms of price, personally I would never use a site based elsewhere in the UK to buy something like a laptop. I like the piece of mind of being able to easily physically go somewhere and get it sorted. That is a personal thing though, based on problems I (and friends) have had in the past. And buying from there would have the German keyboard layout.

It is a nice laptop though. Didn't see it when I was looking, but certainly would have been a contender.
My point about all the contenders being around the same price still stands though.
mahaneap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No its not.
Size, weight and bulk are important factors when buying a laptop.
Especially one that you intend to use on the bus or train.

When I got my 13" MBP, I specifically wanted a 13" laptop, that was thin, light and had a good battery life. The macbook pro fits those criteria, and is around the same price as its competitors. And why would I want to buy extra batteries? Adding extra bulk and cost.

What you mean is "If you can find a laptop matching some arbitrary specifications I just made up, I will make up some more obscure arbitrary specifications until you give up."
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What you mean is "If you can find a laptop matching some arbitrary specifications I just made up, I will make up some more obscure arbitrary specifications until you give up."
Not I don't.
As I said, when I was getting my MBP, I had precise things I wanted in a laptop. A 15.6" laptop would not have fitted what I wanted to use it for. It would have been too big.
There were a few that met those things, but there were all around the same price. And certainly, none of them were half the price of my MBP.
joyina
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
GUYS. I said without the problem of a high cost.
I know Windows laptops are cheaper, and there are alternatives, blah blah blah (heck, I own a Thinkpad, Ideapad & an Acer =.=) but what if a 13" macbook (or pro or air) is the same price as other 13" or 14"? Would any of you get one over the other laptops?
ExcessNeo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
15.6" Screen. Too Big.
2.6kg. Too heavy.

Try again?
You missed the most important point. It's Acer.

As to the topic, no I wouldn't get a Macbook anything if money was no object. I would get a mac mini or whatever is the cheapest desktop to compile personal projects on all platforms but aside from that it wouldn't get used.
chickenkatsu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MBP user so biased but personally Air was never a contender for me. Apparently really easy to lose (no, seriously) and I would feel like I was handling a Faberge egg when using it sooo in conclusion Pro seems more durable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads