Best ways to tone up legs without joining a gym. Watch

Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
RUN

seriously, why do people waste money on gyms ?!!!!

Running is free, simple, and is so good for your cardiovascular fitness but also tones everything as well.
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
idk walking and stuff that use your legs
TheRealDarthVader
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To overcome your legs, you must become your legs.
ShaolinTemple
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I never go to the gym and my calves are BIG like out of proportion. I cycle and play basketball a lot. If you're looking to mainly work your legs out and cardio you don't need a gym where you're jogging on a boring treadmill staring at the mirror. Just find a sport you enjoy. Simple. Gym is really for bulking up your upper body for the ladehs.
ChaoticMaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 098)
RUN

seriously, why do people waste money on gyms ?!!!!

Running is free, simple, and is so good for your cardiovascular fitness but also tones everything as well.
You sir, are an idiot.
CandyCandy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i do calf raises they're pretty good and you can do it anywhere
when you're bored in a line waiting,do calf raises! ( and yes you will look retarded)
int92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LadyRowena)
So I've been losing weight by healthy eating and it's been working well. The thing is, I don't really do much exercise apart from playing badminton so I'm not very toned. I particularly want to slim down my legs because I put post of my weight on my thighs and bum.

I don't really want to join a gym because I'm moving away to uni (hopefully) in October and don't really have the money to pay for a one year membership that I won't get the opportunity to use. I do have an exercise bike at home, though; will that help? Can anyone recommend exercises I can do without having to join a gym that will help me tone up my legs?
YOU CANT TONE A MUSCLE OR SPOT REDUCE FAT.

1) lose bodyfat

2) gain muscle, squats etc
Dynasty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jog on. Literally.
Dynasty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CandyCandy)
i do calf raises they're pretty good and you can do it anywhere
when you're bored in a line waiting,do calf raises! ( and yes you will look retarded)
Useless unless you're lifting extra weight.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticMaster)
You sir, are an idiot.
Care to substantiate your claim?
ChaoticMaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 098)
Care to substantiate your claim?
Toning is the result of increased muscle mass and decreased body fat %, running alone will cause you to lose both fat and muscle mass and do nothing to increase your muscle mass so unless you add a weight training programme you won't tone. Even if your false assumption that running would increase the muscle mass in your legs was correct running would have no affect on the muscles on the upper half of your body so your claim that running would cause you to tone everything couldn't be any more wrong. And you giving advice when you are clueless makes you an idiot.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Toning is the result of increased muscle mass and decreased body fat %, running alone will cause you to lose both fat and muscle mass and do nothing to increase your muscle mass so unless you add a weight training programme you won't tone. Even if your false assumption that running would increase the muscle mass in your legs was correct running would have no affect on the muscles on the upper half of your body so your claim that running would cause you to tone everything couldn't be any more wrong. And you giving advice when you are clueless makes you an idiot.
1. Toning is not the same as bulking up. Running won't do the latter but it will do the former.
2. Running does have an effect on the upper body muscles- maybe not as pronounced as weight or whatever, but it does. It works the whole body.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Toning is the result....
Also have you ever been running? You'll notice that your legs feel noticeably stronger and tighter after a while.
ChaoticMaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 098)
1. Toning is not the same as bulking up. Running won't do the latter but it will do the former.
2. Running does have an effect on the upper body muscles- maybe not as pronounced as weight or whatever, but it does. It works the whole body.
1. I wasn't talking about bulking though I can see how you were confused. Let me be more clear. Toning = lowering your body fat %. To lower your body fat % you need to increase or maintain your muscle mass whilst reducing the amount of fat on your body. In order to do this you have to do resistance training. Without resistance training you will just decrease overall mass which will result in the same body fat % so no toning.

2. Please explain the science behind your assertion running will tone your upper body.

I run up to 6 times a week. Why is this relevant?
JGR
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Perform some sort of vaguely intensive exercise that employs the legs.
I did a lot of cycling, hiking and ball-sports that involved running back in my youth. As a result, my legs are more muscular than the rest of me.
These days I play ice hockey mainly.

When you get to uni, see what sporting activities/teams are available and just join what takes your fancy.
A sport is a lot more interesting than just doing motions in a gym, or whatever.
ediesting
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
walking.
Shawshank
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This thread has the worst advice to post ratio I've ever seen on TSR.
Circularmover
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You should try going for walks uphill, doing squats, cycling and even swimming. Many gyms have 1-Month only Memberships which are usually quite cheap. Maybe that would be a better option for you?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1. I wasn't talking about bulking...
I'm not going to reply further because I really cannot be bothered.

TSR appears to be full of angry internet warriors.

By all means, debate important issues... but not petty ones like fitness methods.
ChaoticMaster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 098)
I'm not going to reply further because I really cannot be bothered.

TSR appears to be full of angry internet warriors.

By all means, debate important issues... but not petty ones like fitness methods.
On the contary TSR is full of idiots like you who have no knowledge of fitness and yet feel the need to share their 'wisdom' which in truth is nothing but common misconceptions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
13.72%
The paper was reasonable (378)
55.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (162)
23.65%
It was TERRIBLE (51)
7.45%

Watched Threads