dating outside your social class.. Watch

ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But I do believe that it would be difficult for middle to be attracted to working, due to things like interests, accents, aspiration, etc.. This isn't always true, but veryy common!
Anonymous #2
Report 7 years ago
could someone explain to me what the difference between working and middle class? is it the salary income? if so, what's the boundaries? or is it the career you have?

just trying to figure out what i am
JessieBelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm from a working class background, and my boyfriend is middle class. There are some differences between us- mainly things we did with our families when we were younger, different attitude to money, etc... We still want the same things from life though. We are both at university, both want to get a job and our own house, I don't see what difference it makes to be honest.
IndigoRockGirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think social classes are kind of merging and they maybe don't apply so much any more, but if two people are from different backgronds I think it can work even better than with people from the same backgrounds, because it keeps things different and interesting lol x I know of plenty of cases where it works fine : ) I think people like other people for who they are, not their backgrounds : )

Good Luck
x
ForKicks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
could someone explain to me what the difference between working and middle class? is it the salary income? if so, what's the boundaries? or is it the career you have?

just trying to figure out what i am
The way you were brought up, your education, how you think, your manners, accent, income, etc.. It's not one single thing, but is based on a general picture of the person
ForKicks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
I think social classes are kind of merging and they maybe don't apply so much any more, but if two people are from different backgronds I think it can work even better than with people from the same backgrounds, because it keeps things different and interesting lol x I know of plenty of cases where it works fine : ) I think people like other people for who they are, not their backgrounds : )

Good Luck
x

This may be true when looked at from middle-middle and lower, but there will always be a big divide between the higher and lower regions of society. Everything else has been fluid for a long time anyway
Anonymous #2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ForKicks)
The way you were brought up, your education, how you think, your manners, accent, income, etc.. It's not one single thing, but is based on a general picture of the person
I was put as middle class by someone because my family don't 'struggle' with money anymore. And also because I have a sort of biggish house that is not in a council estate. but one parent has a working class job and the other has a lower middle class job and they're just getting either promoted or paycuts so the salary income changes. and my siblings act and think differently from me. can siblings be of different classes? sorry, it just confuses me.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not class that's the barrier per se, it's the things that come with it that might be relevant to a relationship. E.g. something like education, manners, morals, personal values. Most people would want someone to be on their level and you are more likely to find that in your own class IMO.
jblackmoustache
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think what you mean is working class culture, which is still very masculine. I mean where i'm from (South Yorkshire) the norms of the culture is to go out every friday and saturday, chill in the pub with the 'lads' and watch football. It's a very conservative culture, where the idea of 'masculine' and 'feminine' behaviour is still set in stone.

There's also the idea of 'banter' (eurggghhh) which people from higher classes will just find vile, as 'banter' is the wit of the lower classes.

I say the class boundaries still exist. It's just that certian jobs are now classed as 'working class'. Jobs like Call Centre Operatives. The equivalent of a factory but more 'feminine'.
IndigoRockGirl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This may be true when looked at from middle-middle and lower, but there will always be a big divide between the higher and lower regions of society. Everything else has been fluid for a long time anyway
You're right :dontknow: I guess it's just wishful thinking
ForKicks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As an aside, I hope no-one thinks working class is the bottom. There is of course...the underclass!
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My parents are financially working class. My friends are mostly middle class and i can related to them far more than working class people my age and I am also smarter than the other working class people. I currently live in social housing my mum works at the checkout and my parents are divorced. My dad has an office job for a local council. My dad used to have an accounting job for a brewery and we owned (well had a mortgage) a house. The brewery went out of business my dad lost his higher paying job when I was about 5 years old and then it all went down hill.

What class am I?
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Worked for my parents. My dad was very middle class, very middle class parents, my mum considered herself working class through and through. Been married for seventeen years and are still very happy together, not easy in a town where every other couple is divorced. I've had a middle-class upbringing and if you listen to my accent it really shows. It's painful (and very funny) to listen to, I live in Scotland and it used to drive people nuts. If a working class guy can put up with it for long enough to date me then congratulations. :lol: When I go to university people are going to think I went to public school, when I didn't. :lol:
ForKicks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jacktri)
My parents are financially working class. My friends are mostly middle class and i can related to them far more than working class people my age and I am also smarter than the other working class people. I currently live in social housing my mum works at the checkout and my parents are divorced. My dad has an office job for a local council. My dad used to have an accounting job for a brewery and we owned (well had a mortgage) a house. The brewery went out of business my dad lost his higher paying job when I was about 5 years old and then it all went down hill.

What class am I?
Not enough info to make an impression. This type of thing usually can only be judged in real life
tinshed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i am a girl?
are you asking us if you're a girl? we don't know... !
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Tefhel)
It's not class that's the barrier per se, it's the things that come with it that might be relevant to a relationship. E.g. something like education, manners, morals, personal values. Most people would want someone to be on their level and you are more likely to find that in your own class IMO.
I don't believe that morals or manners change between the social classes.. found your post a little offensive to be honest..

I meant things like material possessions, I'd be embarrassed what he may think of my home/area/etc.

We are very compatible personality-wise, and we have the same education. I'm well educated thank-you very much.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Tefhel)
So basically, I'm not good enough for him?

Rude..
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't believe that morals or manners change between the social classes.. found your post a little offensive to be honest..

I meant things like material possessions, I'd be embarrassed what he may think of my home/area/etc.

We are very compatible personality-wise, and we have the same education. I'm well educated thank-you very much.
So basically, I'm not good enough for him?

Rude..
I was giving my opinion on dating outside one's social class, as per your request. I wasn't commenting on you since I know nothing about you - I don't know where you live, I don't know where he lives [because you didn't say], so I couldn't possibly comment on things like material possessions.

Anyway, I said 'more likely', it was a generalisation, not a fact.
slavetosociety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Class doesn't really matter these days. Although, race still does.
Kazbian
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can relate a little. I'm not entirely sure what class I am - my dad is very middle class and my mum is working class. I live with my mum when I'm not at uni, though I probably hold more middle class values than working class values. :dontknow: The house I live in isn't a council house anymore, but it isn't the nicest of houses and many on this estate are still owned by the council.

My boyfriend is middle class and his house is lovely. I'm not looking forward to him coming to my house in the summer. I know he won't judge me for it, but still, I'd rather him not see where I live.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.22%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (589)
47.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise