Which one for maths? Watch

RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hassi94)
Also:

I might be wrong here - but don't Cambridge put a lot more independent funding into their departments (than Imperial) so even if Imperial gets more money from the government, Cambridge may (and probably does) still have more money to use every year.

(As I said though I'm not sure about that bit so don't hold it against me )
I'm afraid I don't know any definite numbers here, and in any case I think the situation is very complicated. But there are various routes that research money can come into universities. There is a section related to research funding on Bill Lionheart's page

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~b...s_league/2009/

As his page mentions, research grants will usually be top-sliced for overhead by a university and/or department, so a healthy research income will feed into the general health of a department.

I've often heard it said that the teaching of undergraduate students in Oxford is cross-subsidised from other income streams and endowments, and the number that is attached is usually a few thousand pounds per student per annum. I'd be surprised if that isn't the case also in Cambridge, but I'm afraid I don't know any details.
muffingg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cambridge.
Chewmeister
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cambridge is better.

But there are other factors to consider when choosing which university to go to, and that's why I decided to go to Imperial instead.
jsadapa1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cambridge.
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cambridge.
I smell like maths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
warwick also have their offer as A*AA with 1 in any step or A*A*A with 2 in any step

this was implemented a year before imperial follwed suit of using STEP.

like i said before you can't go wrong with any of the four in the COWI group...

but i seriously doubt that cambridge is below imperial for pure maths...sorry to burst anyones bubble but imperial are better for medicine and engineeing... not maths

their maths is great but i doubt they'll beat oxbridge with RAE at the moment...

IMO i think warwick has the edge on imperial for maths, only maths...

imperial are renoun for their natural sciences so you should think twice before rating them so highly...
I smell like maths
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ian.slater)
I would like to say that this is undefined. What matters is which university is better suited to a particular maths student. And that depends on the student. Cambridge's selection process relies almost totally on mathematical ability, tested by interview and STEP. Imperial interviews fewer candidates and so rejects more on the basis of UCAS data. I get the impression they seek a broader skill-set, rather than a maths 'spike'.

Choosing a university is at least partly about choosing your fellow students. If you are asking which to apply to, visit both and measure the extent to which you feel at home.
dude you just implied cambridge don't seek a broader skill set?

just LOL.. they're looking for both a maths peak and a broader skill set. this is what makes them better... they still reject people just by looking at UCAS, not everyone gets interviewed...

its the whole reason why people take gap years to reapply to oxbridge etc.. because they're better...

imperial is amazing i understand, but if you're not doing natural sciences at imperial you cannot rate them at an oxbridge level...
pappymajek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ian.slater)
I would like to say that this is undefined. What matters is which university is better suited to a particular maths student. And that depends on the student. Cambridge's selection process relies almost totally on mathematical ability, tested by interview and STEP. Imperial interviews fewer candidates and so rejects more on the basis of UCAS data. I get the impression they seek a broader skill-set, rather than a maths 'spike'.

Choosing a university is at least partly about choosing your fellow students. If you are asking which to apply to, visit both and measure the extent to which you feel at home.
I couldnt agree more with the above-one man's meat is another's man's poison.

Dont focus on reputation alone-you have to enjoy general university experience and its therefore imperative to visit and ensure its an atmosphere you're comfortable with.
RichE
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by I smell like maths)

their maths is great but i doubt they'll beat oxbridge with RAE at the moment...
The most recent RAE in pure maths:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...re-mathematics

Imperial edged it for quality, though Oxford and Cambridge entered more than twice as many people, having much larger departments.

(Original post by I smell like maths)

just LOL.. they're looking for both a maths peak and a broader skill set.
No, they're not. Go to any oxbridge regional conference and listen to all the academics in all the subjects say that they are only interested in academic potential in their subject. They expressly say they're not interested in extra-curriculars even though other universities may be.

From the Cambridge admissions website: "As our admissions decisions are based on academic criteria, a student's participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities is not taken into account (unless it is relevant to the course applied for) and does not affect their chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
No, they're not. Go to any oxbridge regional conference and listen to all the academics in all the subjects say that they are only interested in academic potential in their subject. They expressly say they're not interested in extra-curriculars even though other universities may be.

From the Cambridge admissions website: "As our admissions decisions are based on academic criteria, a student's participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities is not taken into account (unless it is relevant to the course applied for) and does not affect their chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."
Yep I agree here - they literally couldn't care less about extra curricular or even work experience in maths. The only course where this will be taken into consideration at all is medicine (for some odd reason that I still don't agree with ).
I smell like maths
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
The most recent RAE in pure maths:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...re-mathematics

Imperial edged it for quality, though Oxford and Cambridge entered more than twice as many people, having much larger departments.

fair enough...
but the RAE was from 2008... things have changed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.63%
No - but I will (29)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (229)
47.51%

Watched Threads