The Student Room Group

What problems can $ 800,000 worth of flowers solve?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Profesh
How much money have you donated towards the construction of wells in Darfur?

$100 so far.... and I'm already on student loans... lol

i'm going to start a branch in Waterloo, Canada of this fund-raising initiative soon... I believe there is a branch in England of this initiative.
Reply 21
Original post by Fusilero
Could probably purchase the construction of a neonatal intensive care unit for the NHS. Or funding the social carer requirements for hundreds of learning disabled people across the UK.

Thank you for being the first person to answer my question properly.

f00ddude
its their money so they can do what they like, including blowing tonnes on flowers
false
Reply 22
It was a special occasion and I think the day had more significance than 'Darfur' has ever had.
Flowers are nice and all, but seriously they could have spent half on the flowers and donated the other half to charity and even then it would still be a huge amount to spend on flowers and I doubt anyone would have noticed at all.

Their wedding gift is charity donations, right? If they really cared, they could have toned down the flowers a bit tbh. It's a lot to spend on flowers. It's not as if the whole world looks at the FLOWERS, it's the dress, ring etc. Nobody comments on how nice/big/exotic the flowers are do they?

Money could have gone towards cuts for benefits/services to disabled people, hiring extra nurses in the NHS, improving state schools in deprived areas or scholarships for a poor but bright student to study at St Andrews? :biggrin:

Spending a bit less on flowers wouldn't have made the event any less and could be spent on something far more useful...even spending some of the flower budget on nicer outfits for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie would have been a better use of the money imo
(edited 12 years ago)
You have to ask yourself was any of it NEEDED? It cost millions, why not donate the majority of it, and have a simple cermony?

Why dont you sell your house, but a tiny flat and donate that money? What about your silly expensive phone/ipod/ all the rest of your general crap you dont need?

Its not how the world works.
Reply 25
Original post by No Future
Flowers are nice and all, but seriously they could have spent half on the flowers and donated the other half to charity and even then it would still be a huge amount to spend on flowers and I doubt anyone would have noticed at all.

The original flower budget was 1.6m, but the Prince thought this was excessive and cut it in half, giving 800k to charity. Nobody noticed at all - people still go on about it.

Does this make you feel better?

Probably not. The budget on everything for this wedding is going to be excessive.
Original post by Curious888
The original flower budget was 1.6m, but the Prince thought this was excessive and cut it in half, giving 800k to charity. Nobody noticed at all - people still go on about it.

Does this make you feel better?

Probably not. The budget on everything for this wedding is going to be excessive.

That's good, I still think some of the money would have been better spent on almost anything other than flowers, even getting better outfits for Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie would have been a better use of some of the money.

It's still a LOT of money to spend on flowers, even if it has been significantly cut. It's a lot of money any way you look at it. The PM's ANNUAL salary is £142, 500 and that's a pretty decent salary.

You could buy a property in Islington (a fairly nice and close to Central area) for £586k (average prices) and still have change left over.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by xSara.loux
You have to ask yourself was any of it NEEDED? It cost millions, why not donate the majority of it, and have a simple cermony?

Why dont you sell your house, but a tiny flat and donate that money? What about your silly expensive phone/ipod/ all the rest of your general crap you dont need?

Its not how the world works.

The world works however we want it to work, and the world right now is in deep crap.

With our intelligence, humans have the capacity to either subvert the world or to uphold principles of global social and economic justice. The people who benefit from the concentration of wealth at the hands of an extreme minority while the majority of people in the world live in poverty would like you to believe that this is how it SHOULD be.
(edited 12 years ago)
why moan when its already happened and your moaning won't change anything whatsoever?
The money wasn't going to Darfur anyway.
Valentines day should've been moved for tomorrow or the day after. You could pick up a bargain on second hand flowers off craigslist.
Reply 31
Improves people's morale :smile:
Original post by MishMash1
they can if the west isn't stealing their oil!

How exactly are we stealing it? :s-smilie:
Reply 33
Original post by ~ABR~
Thank you for being the first person to answer my question properly.

false

Why do you think it isn't their money? Are you talking about the civil list? That is a result of a contract between the monarchy and parliament, surrendering revenue from the Crown Estate (which was the monarch's private property) to the state in return for a regular payment. It's a binding contract and greatly benefits the state at the expense of the monarch's private interests. And besides, they also have a lot of private income from the Duchies of Lancaster (belonging to the Queen) and Cornwall (belonging to the Prince of Wales) etc.

Only the security costs were met by the taxpayer, but that's not the issue here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Guys Darfur was just an example off the top of my head since I am working on a project related to that.
As other posters here mentioned there are problems in U.K that can be solved with this amount of money.

Don't take my words for their face value.

Reflect: if they can squander $ 800,000 just on flowers what does that say?
Reply 35
Original post by rmanoj
Why do you think it isn't their money? Are you talking about the civil list? That is a result of a contract between the monarchy and parliament, surrendering revenue from the Crown Estate (which was the monarch's private property) to the state in return for a regular payment. It's a binding contract and greatly benefits the state at the expense of the monarch's private interests. And besides, they also have a lot of private income from the Duchies of Lancaster (belonging to the Queen) and Cornwall (belonging to the Prince of Wales) etc.

Only the security costs were met by the taxpayer, but that's not the issue here.

They earned nothing of the estates they supposedly own. I don't disagree with inheriting family wealth, but if you go back you will find that this inherited wealth was never earned to begin with.

Taking money that belongs to the people is what most kings and queens do, especially with imperial mentality.
I don't know, but as an irrelevant aside, the florist in charge of all of the flowers in the church works with my mum. :dontknow:
Reply 37
The wedding was a net revenue generator. What's the problem?
Reply 38
Original post by banjkan3
The wedding was a net revenue generator. What's the problem?

Source?
Treat it like a blockbuster - did you make a "what problems could Avatar's production costs fix" when Avatar hit the big screen?
Consider that people ALL OVER THE GLOBE watched this, imagine how much revenue the event has generated. The money spent on flowers was likely paid back tenfold, straight into the pockets of the BBC (maybe).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending