?
Report 7 years ago
Yes VV
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd recommend http://simplynoise.com/ but I listen to music myself, something fast paced but without lyrics to focus on (dnb/jungle/psytrance/dubstep usually).
outlaw-torn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I listen to The Shadows when I'm revising, no lyrics, just instrumental.. lyrics distract me too much :confused:
chidona
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've found that R.E.M is pretty much the perfect music to revise with. Yeah, having music doesn't help me focus, but it increases my ability to tolerate revision; without it I'm likely to get bored much more quickly and lose focus, even if I do work slower with it on.

Also, it means I go like a bat out of hell during exams when I'm doing 3x my normal productivity!

Don't get people listening to White Noise though, would just freak me out =/.
Rishz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do!
LauraRawra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ill listen to music but that will result in me being really distraction
Linweth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Philbert)
I find it hard to concentrate if I listen to music with lyrics, but I work pretty well with instrumental music, which I listen to a lot of anyway. It's instrumental/ambient metal, post-rock or classical music usually. I don't need to listen to music, it's just nice to have something going on in the background sometimes.
That sounds interesting, would you care to recommend some of this type of music for others?
pdell-smith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Music is great for revision/learning (I'm a wannabe music therapist so learning all about this!)
Just make sure it has no words, otherwise you'll learn the words instead of your work...
Classical is good - especially string quartets - try Mozart! Also, dissonance is generally unhelpful (clashy noises) eg Mozart's 'Dissonance' K465 (I think...)
So you have to be careful! Dissonance makes people feel sad... (I studied Mozart's string quartets and their impact on emotions for my IB Music EE!)
supernova92
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by seasons of wither)
i just found this:

which im preferring to the white noise. its SO relaxing but still without the distraction of instruments :sexface: thought you should all know.
Oh yes, much better than that white noise malarchy, but if i'm honest, it kinda makes me want to pee..... haha :lol:
metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mostly shoegaze, ambient, drone or atmospheric black metal. Sometimes grindcore. Traditional metal or hard rock is a nono
Alex-jc123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When revising history, yes.
Nana_A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i have stopped listening to music while revising as i find that if i get stuck on a question while sitting a test and i turn to divine guidance for help, the tune that i was listens to comes up...
Accalia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. I prefer to have it on in the background by using my stereo, although that usually ends with me listening to one CD about seven times in a day.

I find headphones more distracting than the stereo, but I don't really have a choice when I'm at sixth and want to do some work
carpe*diem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i don't if i'm alone in the room or in library, where it's quiet . if i revise on the bus or somewhere with people around i always listen to the piano piece "River flows in you" by Yiruma
Chr0n
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bakasplitz)
although, the music i listen to isnt one that would distract me so much, no lyrics, such as liquid drum and bass ^^ music that is good for the background [:
Ya, listening to Lounge a lot while revising, or classic sometimes.
laura_802
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thesilvermagnolia)
TSR is even more distracting than Facebook! haha I have deactivated my facebook account until after exams, but thinking about it...I spend more time on TSR
Ooo is it possible to deactivate your fb for a certain amount of time then? lol Something I should probably look into...
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've done it for quite a few years now. I used to do it to block out the noise of other people because I like my peace and quiet but now it's become something of a routine and I think it helps me take information in better. Instrumental seems to be the best to work to for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (308)
37.52%
No - but I will (63)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.38%

Watched Threads