Do you ever find it rude that people don't bother learning a native language? Watch

jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by effofex)
I have lived and worked in the Netherlands for 2 months and am nowhere near fluent in Nederlands (Dutch) or even proficient - I can manage to hold a conversation in Dutch for about 1.5 minutes before looking clueless.

Yet for some reason Nederlanders don't even seem to care! I am very surprised.
Think about it, they want to improve their English, when you switch to English then they are happy..!
shutthedoor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, it really sucks! We have too many Russian and Polish people here and most of them only speak Russian. I don't care if their grammar or pronunciation is not perfect but they should learn phrases like "Hello", "Excuse me", "Where's....?", "How to go to...?" etc. Especially the people who live here 20-30-40 or even more years...
Of course, local people are a lil silly too, they shouldn't talk to those immigrants in Russian... Then they won't have to complain about them...
kat91s
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know four languages, English, German, Japanese and French, and that still leaves me with most of the world, where I can go and not be able to speak the language.
BlueJoker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was in Cuba and I saw the very sad sight of a loud Liverpool bloke speaking slowly and loudly to one of the waiters. "Paella? What the hell is that? Do you have hot dogs? HOT.... DOGS? God, these people don't know a word of English...."

What I loved was that the waiter kept a blank face then came over and spoke to me in perfect English
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I try to learn the very basics. It should be of note to people though that things like 'thank you' are often far from expected in a lot of cultures, to the extent where actually saying an english 'thank you' is more common and appropriate than the local translation which is super-formal. I say it anyway though - i can hardly pass for a local anyway :p:

More than that is usually unnecessary. Fellow travelers inevitably speak good English no matter their nationality (i was once in a room with 3 Nepalis, 2 Spaniards, 1 Chinese, 1 Japanese, 1 Korean, 3 Germans - the language everyone spoke was English (although my limited Spanish did come in handy sometimes )! Locals that you interact with either have enough English to get by or will understand gesturing.

(Original post by Rational Paradox)
If its for holidays, its understandable that you can't learn every language, but some effort should always be made to at least learn important phrases and be able to sustain a conversation
Bloody hell you expect everyone to be able to hold an actual conversation!? High standards! :lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads