30.89%
Zacho
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UnknwnEntity)
Hey,

Are you on Facebook? I was, until about a year ago. I had it before it was "cool" actually, just like MySpace. I remember when MySpace was the market leader and I was considered a bit of a gimp amongst my peers for moving to Facebook which was then the retreat of the bookish and aspergic.

I had about 280 friends all of which I knew from "Real Life" but actually liked about 10% of them. There were three-hundred something photos tagged of me, many in embarrassing, drunk, "I think I can dance" mode - others just appealed to my inner vanity.

Then I realised how ridiculous the whole thing is, how contrived and pervasive this whole "Social Networking" phenomenon has become. From status messages to personality tests - It was like an obligation, a topiary representing ones self that you were implored to perfect and trim, because that page represented (Or atleast societal pressure made me feel) who you were to the world.

When it didn't, it was a facade.

So are you on facebook? Discuss.
I am on facebook for a number of reasons. The main ones though are that it is easier to keep in contact with friends at other universities and those that i met travelling. It is easy to arrange meet-ups with people in other countries. When i was travelling, it was easy to show my friends and family back home all my photos, etc.

I like all my FB friend and have gotten rid of any i don't. Without Facebook, I would have lost touch with a lot of people i met when travelling and from school.
baffled_mathman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, never have been, never will be. Aside from the privacy issues, people on there are like sheep, all on there because it's the "done thing". And how many of their hundreds of "friends" could they call on in a crisis? Oh well, at least it convinces them that they are really someone!!

Oh, and when I think of the people I know, the ones I admire most never seem to be on Facebook.
Zacho
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by baffled_mathman)
No, never have been, never will be. Aside from the privacy issues, people on there are like sheep, all on there because it's the "done thing". And how many of their hundreds of "friends" could they call on in a crisis? Oh well, at least it convinces them that they are really someone!!

Oh, and when I think of the people I know, the ones I admire most never seem to be on Facebook.
Sounds to me like you are too "cool" for Facebook...
Unwavering
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have never been on Facebook.
mrengineer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am, although thinking of removing some of my friends, so I have only say 50 people who I actually talk to.

I'd like to keep it though, as it's got all my photos on there, good memories.
And I also find the chat very useful.
baffled_mathman
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zacho)
Sounds to me like you are too "cool" for Facebook...
I don't know about "cool". Independently minded and logical would describe it better. Thanks anyway.
Pisces94
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I made it when people were still on Bebo but I never used it until most people I knew had it. I hate it now though.
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by G550NDH)
spill the beans !
(Original post by failingatm)
Why did you have to delete it? What did you do to get expelled? :lolwut:
my school made me deactivate it but yhh time to bait it all out...
basically some girl in my year made up a whole load of **** because basically my parents had to go to court (thats another long story) and they really needed the money and one of my mates said she would help and lent me £150 which i was gunna pay back after cz my cousin owed me money then she told people her money went missing when she has actually given it to me and i was like wtf. Then she tells her mum I jacked her money which i didnt and her mum said if i don't pay her back she will tell the school so the next day i gave it to her and then we just stopped talking. then one day her mums into school after new years and tells the head how i apparently jacked her daughters money for an abortion which wasnt evening ****ing true! our school have a massive problem with money going missing so the teachers all think its me so i get called in, my parents and the police get called in. ofcourse they don't believe me seeing as her mum came in and complained and ive already been suspended twice. then i end up getting expelled but i can still do my exams there but im just not allowed in school and this happend all in january, then my boyfriend dumpedme cz he didnt believe me.
Then it turns out the reason the girl lied was to have a ****ing excuse to why she failed her mocks as apparently this put so much presure on her so she messed up her mocks so now she had an excuse so the teachers didnt mind and i ended up being expelled :s
Leahcar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm on Facebook! Mainly to keep in touch with family all over the world. I have aunts, uncles and cousins in canada and NZ, as well as lots from the rest of the UK etc.
My family from NZ came over to Northern Ireland for the first time in 25 years last summer, ie it was the first time me and many of my cousins had ever met them! But because I had my uncle and 2 cousins on facebook before hand I felt like I knew them, we spoke about it all the time before they came over and therefore when they came it wasn't awkward at all. Can you imagine what it'd be like? 'Errr, hi stranger who I'm actuall related to but don't know the first thing about! Welcome to my house!' lol! Now their holiday's over we still keep in touch and all, and it's all made possible by facebook!

Also, I use it to keep in touch with old school friends. Now I've moved to Scotland for uni I barely see them, but facebook allows us to talk all the time And equally important, when I go back home for the summer for 4 months I'll be able to keep n touch with my uni friends!

And yes, I know facebook isn't the only way to keep in touch, but it's defintely the easiest for me I'm an awful texter, never replying and whatnot, and I hate speaking on the phone (and therefore Skype too XD) so yeah!!
tigermoth99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a Facebook account to keep in touch with family (I have relatives abroad and it's good to be able to share photos on FB)

I used to blog on myspace but got bored with it after a while.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, because it's an easy free way to contact people and share photos. I am looking forward to when people 'move' to another site though, because facebook lately seems incapable of fixing bugs, they just keep adding new features that don't work instead.
darkred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by surina_xxx)
basically some girl in my year made up a whole load of **** because basically my parents had to go to court (thats another long story) and they really needed the money and one of my mates said she would help and lent me £150 which i was gunna pay back after cz my cousin owed me money then she told people her money went missing when she has actually given it to me and i was like wtf. Then she tells her mum I jacked her money which i didnt and her mum said if i don't pay her back she will tell the school so the next day i gave it to her and then we just stopped talking. then one day her mums into school after new years and tells the head how i apparently jacked her daughters money for an abortion which wasnt evening ****ing true! our school have a massive problem with money going missing so the teachers all think its me so i get called in, my parents and the police get called in. ofcourse they don't believe me seeing as her mum came in and complained and ive already been suspended twice. then i end up getting expelled but i can still do my exams there but im just not allowed in school and this happend all in january, then my boyfriend dumpedme cz he didnt believe me.
Then it turns out the reason the girl lied was to have a ****ing excuse to why she failed her mocks as apparently this put so much presure on her so she messed up her mocks so now she had an excuse so the teachers didnt mind and i ended up being expelled :s
Holy ****. You should have just battered her tbh, not like you could get expelled even more. HOW are you going to do well in exams if you're not in school since january? Where do you go now? God this is making me angry You should ****ing... give her facebook to me I'll sort her out.
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, because if I didn't there'd be loads of imposters trying to pretend they're me because I'm so famous, so it's a necessity really.
ScarletMoon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I have 93 friends, all whom I know AND like. I delete anybody that annoys me and I really do use it as communicating with friends rather than spending 5 hours thinking of ****ty status updates so I can get likes.
Lukey.T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nar, Facebook is for people that wanna watch other peoples business. Nothin more.
TWITTER is the one!
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by failingatm)
Holy ****. You should have just battered her tbh, not like you could get expelled even more. HOW are you going to do well in exams if you're not in school since january? Where do you go now? God this is making me angry You should ****ing... give her facebook to me I'll sort her out.
if i do or say anything my school won't let me sit my exams there so then im screwed and ive still be revising and stuff its just a piss take that i got into trouble because of something i never did and now everyone thinks i had an abortion
PonchoKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im on facebook to stay in touch with people.
im at uni over 300 miles away from home, and speak to people iv not seen since september...

i also speak to my mum on a daily basis usually.

i like to know what my friends and family are up to, and i like to know what im up to...

i know over summer ill probs get rid of a few uni people though, as i only have them this year due to living in halls...
theseeker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by surina_xxx)
Get your grades and you'll be laughing
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you some kind of hipster or something?
insoms
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have it but don't see the point really because I never do anything on there.

Nothing in my life is worthy of sharing as a status or whatever so I just don't bother, the only people that ever share pictures on there are people who are trying to convince everyone how fun they are and what a fun night they just had where they just had to take 300 pictuires, people who are vain looking for compliments, and family uploading pictures.

The last reason is the only reason I still have it the other 2 are utterly pointless.

I spend all day long pretending I like people while they pretend back, why do we have to do it online too? The people you actually DO like you text or ring or meetup or whatever so you don't really need facebook at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (206)
40.08%
No - but I will (31)
6.03%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.81%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise