good descriptive words for english gcse? Watch

Bardem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010...ction-part-one

tbh, if you have to ask for adjectives then I would worry.
Extricated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by CameraGirl)
No, i don't. If you want words in the first place, you need a dictionary, dear.

If you want to find synonyms of those words once you have expanded your vocabulary, you need a thesaurus, dear.

I have done GCSE english, and I did do well. I know the difference between a dictionary and a thesaurus thanks, dear.
Sorry dear,

If you read the OP you would see that i wasn't asking for the MEANING of words but rather synonyms. If you have a word you use a thesaurus to find alternative words for that, dear.
laura_802
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You would be better off looking up a few words in a thesaurus and learning the EXACT meaning. I assume the marker would mark you down if you used a 'good' word in the wrong context.
I'm_Unsafe.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Honorificabilitudinitatibus is a thoroughly excellent word I find.
Undulipodia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
Honorificabilitudinitatibus is a thoroughly excellent word I find.
And if you need to recount any past events, make sure they take place in or near to that lovely welsh village, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrn drobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Extricated)
Sorry dear,

If you read the OP you would see that i wasn't asking for the MEANING of words but rather synonyms. If you have a word you use a thesaurus to find alternative words for that, dear.
you didn't say you had words, you wanted adjectives for taste, smell etc.
so adjectives are not synonyms of taste, smell etc, are they? no.
if you look up "taste" in a thesaurus, it is not going to say "delicious, succulent, luxurious, divine..."

if you look up "smell" in a thesaurus, it is not going to say "vulgur, pungent, sharp, tangy..."

also, the thread title "good descriptive words for GCSE?" everyone knows they are called adjectives (except maybe you, since you said "descriptive words" so often?)

it's just GCSE, you really need to ask a forum for some adjectives? i thought those up in less than a minute with no difficulty, it's not hard.

PS. you don't just use a dictionary to look up the meaning of words, you can easily use it to find new words in the first place, you know, and expand your vocabulary. You can't actually use a thesaurus until you have a word you want a synonym of. For example, if you use "yummy" too often, you look it up in a thesaurus and it says "delicious". You cannot pick up a thesaurus thinking "oooh, i want some adjectives for "smell" and "touch", because you would need an adjective in the first place, such as "rough, sublime, silky".

i did you the favour of proving myself right, to save you the bother, since i'm that kind. here is "taste" in a thesaurus, you'll see that it is giving synonyms for the word taste, and not adjectives to describe how things taste:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/taste

and again the same with "smell":

http://thesaurus.com/browse/smell

and again the same with "touch":

http://thesaurus.com/browse/touch

they are other nouns or verbs meaning the same as "taste, smell and touch", not adjectives describing the taste, smell, or touch of something.

i also looked up "synonym" in the dictionary for you, since you don't seem to be aware of it's meaning:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/synonym
battycatlady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ghastly is one of my faves. Dunno why, but it is :')
Putrid. Divine. Tantilising. Delapidated. Iridescent. Croaked. Swaggered. Frivolous. Bustling. Drifted. Knarled. Towering. Looming. Malevolent. Menacing. And so on...

There's loads you could use, but it makes them more effective if you don't have them randomly in every sentence because then it will sound as if you are trying too hard.
Extricated
Rep:
?
you didn't say you had words, you wanted adjectives for taste, smell etc.
so adjectives are not synonyms of taste, smell etc, are they? no.
if you look up "taste" in a thesaurus, it is not going to say "delicious, succulent, luxurious, divine..."

if you look up "smell" in a thesaurus, it is not going to say "vulgur, pungent, sharp, tangy..."

also, the thread title "good descriptive words for GCSE?" everyone knows they are called adjectives (except maybe you, since you said "descriptive words" so often?)

it's just GCSE, you really need to ask a forum for some adjectives? i thought those up in less than a minute with no difficulty, it's not hard.

PS. you don't just use a dictionary to look up the meaning of words, you can easily use it to find new words in the first place, you know, and expand your vocabulary. You can't actually use a thesaurus until you have a word you want a synonym of. For example, if you use "yummy" too often, you look it up in a thesaurus and it says "delicious". You cannot pick up a thesaurus thinking "oooh, i want some adjectives for "smell" and "touch", because you would need an adjective in the first place, such as "rough, sublime, silky".

i did you the favour of proving myself right, to save you the bother, since i'm that kind. here is "taste" in a thesaurus, you'll see that it is giving synonyms for the word taste, and not adjectives to describe how things taste:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/taste

and again the same with "smell":

http://thesaurus.com/browse/smell

and again the same with "touch":

http://thesaurus.com/browse/touch

they are other nouns or verbs meaning the same as "taste, smell and touch", not adjectives describing the taste, smell, or touch of something.

i also looked up "synonym" in the dictionary for you, since you don't seem to be aware of it's meaning:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/synonym
hahahaha do you have a life? You spent about 10 minutes writing a post with links..i feel sorry for you. No seriously, i do. And also, your response to my question was rude right from the start, says a lot about your upbringing. I was just asking a question on STUDENT forum because i wanted to know the type of words that are good for GCSE english exams. You're an idiot.

'you did well at gcse english'..what was that then, a B or C?

*Awaits lie about a**
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hahahaha do you have a life? You spent about 10 minutes writing a post with links..i feel sorry for you. No seriously, i do. And also, your response to my question was rude right from the start, says a lot about your upbringing. I was just asking a question on STUDENT forum because i wanted to know the type of words that are good for GCSE english exams. You're an idiot.

*Awaits lie about a**
ahahahaha well to be honest you're the one who had to post asking for some basic adjectives as opposed to using a dictionary. nice one using the "do you have a life?" argument, because you've been proved wrong. i've been revising all day though, and the procrastination that was proving a rather up-themselves child wrong amused me for a good 3 minutes. (it did not take me 10 minutes to type something into a thesaurus, i just thought i'd add that bit 10 minutes later to stop you arguing and telling me i'm wrong, when i'm not).

and yes, i have a life, i'm at university studying a bloody good course, i live with my boyfriend and 2 best friends, and i'm going to live out in america for a year come august.

says a lot about my upbringing? ahahahhaa. i dare say it was a damn sight better than yours if you can't think of some adjectives for GCSE XD i had a good upbringing thanks, not the best, considering i was physically abused as a child from a young age until recently, so yeah, thanks for bringing that up. i'm doing well for myself though, don't you think? i do an undergraduate masters degree, the best course in the world for my field of study, to be precise.

so cut the bullcrap.

i got an A in english lit, and a B in english language. i just couldn't be bothered to get the B re-marked since by then i'd already gotten into one of the best colleges in the country and didn't plan on taking english any further.

i also tutor my sister when i'm home for the weekends who is currently taking her GCSEs. so i'm not retarded, thanks, i have 2 years of a masters degree, 3 A levels at grade A, and 6 AS levels, and 11 GCSEs under my belt. so insult my academics and upbringing once you have reason to believe you really are smarter than me, dear.
Wolvarium
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

*Awaits lie about a**
To be honest you can't complain about someone else being rude when quite clearly you're being a lot ruder in this post.

She made a valid point that thesaurus' do not give adjectives but give words that mean the same (or similar) thing.

The fact that you've been proven wrong in an argument and resort to the childish "Do you have a life?" comment proves you to be immature and petty.
Rahul.S
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

*Awaits lie about a**
jheeeeeeeeeze u destroyed her...........RIP CAMERAGIRL DEFO!!!
Extricated
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wolvarium)
To be honest you can't complain about someone else being rude when quite clearly you're being a lot ruder in this post.

She made a valid point that thesaurus' do not give adjectives but give words that mean the same (or similar) thing.

The fact that you've been proven wrong in an argument and resort to the childish "Do you have a life?" comment proves you to be immature and petty.
Stop interjecting. This is an A and B conversation, so C yourself out. Also, She initiated the rudeness, so i think i have a right to retaliate.

Bye.

P.S (Did you comment in hope that she would give you a cyber date or something)
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, i don't. If you want words in the first place, you need a dictionary, dear.

If you want to find synonyms of those words once you have expanded your vocabulary, you need a thesaurus, dear.

I have done GCSE english, and I did do well. I know the difference between a dictionary and a thesaurus thanks, dear.
CALM DOWN DEAR.

Come at me bro
Rahul.S
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by extricated)
stop interjecting. This is an a and b conversation, so c yourself out. Also, she initiated the rudeness, so i think i have a right to retaliate.

Bye.

P.s (did you comment in hope that she would give you a cyber date or something)
i interupted but im the a* in the convo...peak

cameragirl will get buried alive......i will use her own camera to take pics of her corpse on her funeral.....peak!

Rip cameragirl
Extricated
Rep:
?
ahahahaha well to be honest you're the one who had to post asking for some basic adjectives as opposed to using a dictionary. nice one using the "do you have a life?" argument, because you've been proved wrong. i've been revising all day though, and the procrastination that was proving a rather up-themselves child wrong amused me for a good 3 minutes. (it did not take me 10 minutes to type something into a thesaurus, i just thought i'd add that bit 10 minutes later to stop you arguing and telling me i'm wrong, when i'm not).

and yes, i have a life, i'm at university studying a bloody good course, i live with my boyfriend and 2 best friends, and i'm going to live out in america for a year come august.

says a lot about my upbringing? ahahahhaa. i dare say it was a damn sight better than yours if you can't think of some adjectives for GCSE XD i had a good upbringing thanks, not the best, considering i was physically abused as a child from a young age until recently, so yeah, thanks for bringing that up. i'm doing well for myself though, don't you think? i do an undergraduate masters degree, the best course in the world for my field of study, to be precise.

so cut the bullcrap.

i got an A in english lit, and a B in english language. i just couldn't be bothered to get the B re-marked since by then i'd already gotten into one of the best colleges in the country and didn't plan on taking english any further.

i also tutor my sister when i'm home for the weekends who is currently taking her GCSEs. so i'm not retarded, thanks, i have 2 years of a masters degree, 3 A levels at grade A, and 6 AS levels, and 11 GCSEs under my belt. so insult my academics and upbringing once you have reason to believe you really are smarter than me, dear.
Extricated
Rep:
?
(Original post by tehforum)
CALM DOWN DEAR.

Come at me bro
Exactly, this girl is on a hype.
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stop interjecting. This is an A and B conversation, so C yourself out. Also, She initiated the rudeness, so i think i have a right to retaliate.

Bye.

P.S (Did you comment in hope that she would give you a cyber date or something)
well that was also very rude, he was just helping you to understand that you are indeed wrong. My first post wasn't actually that rude to you as a person, I only began arguing to show you that you are wrong, some things just need to be known i'm afraid!

why would he need a cyber date anyway? sad times.

please don't insult my friends, too.

(Original post by Rahul.S)
jheeeeeeeeeze u destroyed her...........RIP CAMERAGIRL DEFO!!!
is

i do hope that is sarcasm, i am not so easily offended by children being pathetic and childish on forums, i just like a good debate in order to procrastinate. RIP cameragirl? lol. you what? i definitely think i'm the one winning this debate ta

CALM DOWN DEAR.

Come at me bro
lol. i'm calm, just highly amused and up for an argument. hilarious if you ask me.
Rahul.S
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
CALM DOWN DEAR.

Come at me bro
wts up tehforum? hws rev goin? 4rget cameragirl.....extricated is sortin her out...physically and verbally PEAK!
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh yeah, you need some words, eh?

Try to fit in rest in peace, peak, burial and grave in your exam.
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can see why you were abused, you're a *****. Are you that low on self esteem that you have to write essays to back yourself up against a 'rather up themselves child.' LMFAO ...btw when did i insult your academics..dreaming stuff up are we?
you were rude about that those things, i was giving you the answers.
you don't know everything, don't pretend you do.

you insulted me and my academics when you asked whether me doing well was a B or a C, then implying I would lie and say I got an A*. i don't lie.

and i am not a *****, ask anybody i know frankly. i just happen to have an easily angered mother, it was never my fault and don't you DARE insinuate i deserved it. if you ask me you're the sh*t.

you're also continuing to argue with the person who was write in the first place idiot

you started the childish comments, i will remind you, when you asked if i had a life. i obviously have more of one than you.

PS. do i sound low on self esteem to you, really? just proving i'm not a good-for nothing low-life hanging around at school acting like i'm better than i am
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.81%
No - but I will (98)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (605)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed