2:2 in second year... can I make it a 2:1 next? Watch

SundayGirl.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
i got 69% in my second (77% in my first year tho it didnt count). so that is a similar position to you right?

1) did you find the marking for the final year exams any more lenient (some third years were in my second year courses and they all seemed to average above the second years in exam scores even tho they weren't that much better)
2) did you have to work much much harder or did you just do as you did in the second year
3) any more tips? i want a first soooo bad :teeth:
No, I didn't really find the marking to be more lenient... what I've found during my uni experience is that tutors mark so differently... what could be a 67 to one could be a 72 to another... so for my final year I chose modules with tutors who I knew marked fairly and didn't just mark up their fave students (does happen!).

Apart from that, just a lot of hard hard work. Literally spending every waking hour studying. No short cut really but it does definitely pay off... I got pretty much all firsts for my modules in the last year and then an 82 for my dissertation, all from a lot of study. Good luck
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SundayGirl.)
No, I didn't really find the marking to be more lenient... what I've found during my uni experience is that tutors mark so differently... what could be a 67 to one could be a 72 to another... so for my final year I chose modules with tutors who I knew marked fairly and didn't just mark up their fave students (does happen!).

Apart from that, just a lot of hard hard work. Literally spending every waking hour studying. No short cut really but it does definitely pay off... I got pretty much all firsts for my modules in the last year and then an 82 for my dissertation, all from a lot of study. Good luck
i work hard but sadly not as hard as you by the sounds of it
SundayGirl.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
tbh, that's just me because I am a worrier... I don't think you need to be THAT excessive to get a first. Just organise yourself well and make sure you dedicate enough time to your work. The rest will come
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by robpcdude)
That's usually the case. I can't think of a single university whose third year is worth more than the second year. Surely most 3 year bachelor degrees have a 1:2 split in weighting between the second and third years?
Here's an example: Coventry University.
vegastwotimes
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just re-read my notes... in last nights panic I missed out some crucial info.

They take an average of the second and third year... and then the average of this will be the final percentage.

BUT... if your third year is better they will double weight the third year.

I'm feeling more like it's an achieveable goal now. Motivation is back. Thanks guys.
Ermelinda
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
I also got a 2:2 in my second year which counts for 40%. I got 58% overall. Is it possible to get a first or am I aiming too high. I need 78% in third year to achieve a first

Thanks
ineedhelp16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i got a low 2:2:( due to personal circumstances
is there a chance or will this bunk my grade down in 3rd year if i was to get a 1st.:confused:

help!!
daindian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes there is because at most unis third year counts for double

Posted from TSR Mobile
BritishGirl
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I'm in the same boat I've just got my results for second year and got a High 2.2 (58.5) I'm assuming that I can work hard for a 2.1 but how many 2.1 grades do I need for the majority of the modules? My course and uni is 20% of my second year and 80% of my third year...?
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
only you would know... you know how difficult the course is and you know roughly what your potential entails...
Mirai14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
May as well ask here instead of opening a new thread:

My Uni is 20% in Second Year, 80% in Third Year.

So as I got a mid/low 2:2 in Second Year, what grade would I need to get to achieve the final grade of high/mid 2:1?
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mirai14)

So as I got a mid/low 2:2 in Second Year, what grade would I need to get to achieve the final grade of high/mid 2:1?
A fairly high 2:1. Can't say any more specifically than that without knowing what exactly you got in second year.
Hedgeman49
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Finishing with a high 2:1 doesn't confer any advantage whatsoever over just scraping one unless you want to go on and do things which normally require a 1st - in which case they might let you in with a high 2:1
Mirai14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Turns out it was 54%, so a low 2.2.
I know what you mean Hedgeman49, but a high 2.1 and a low 2.1 can make all the difference when compared to what I got in second year.

So a high 2.1 for final year, at least to get a final grade of 2.1?
SpicyStrawberry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Turns out it was 54%, so a low 2.2.
I know what you mean Hedgeman49, but a high 2.1 and a low 2.1 can make all the difference when compared to what I got in second year.

So a high 2.1 for final year, at least to get a final grade of 2.1?
Hiya, after doing a bit of calculating you will need 61.5% to get a 2.1 overall for your degree if second year is worth 20% and third year 80%. Hope this helps!

54/100 x 20 = 10.8 (this is the percentage your second year has contributed to your overall degree percentage)

60-10.8 = 49.2
49.2/80 x 100 = 61.5 (this is the percentage you will need to get in third year overall to get a 2.1 in your degree)

If you wanted to get a first class degree, this is still achievable but you will need 74% overall in third year.
Bazal
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry to bump the thread but I also achieved 54% in my 2nd year.

The weighting of the 2nd and 3rd year is 50%.

What percentage would I need in 3rd year to achieve a 2.1 or even (if I work extremely hard) a 1st?

Help would be appreciated

Thanks
pryk009
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you should carefully read the policy of your university and check with the tutors.

I had a 2.2 in first and second year with most Cs, 2 Ds and 2 Bs, but on my final year I got most As and very few Bs.

Even though in the final exams I got 2 C and 1 D (could not revise for illness and did not want mitigating circumstances), I could still get easily a 2.1 (min. average of B- according to my Uni award system).

Therefore read carefully how is your Uni grade system and enjoy your life in the Uni ...
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Work harder :dontknow:
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
find out what percentage your second and third years are worth respectively. in mine doing a 4 year course it was 0 30 30 40 so by being able to get a decent 2:1 in my final year, i scraped mine up to a 2:1 overall. so its doable
Burty123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am probably looking at getting a high 2:2 this year, around 58% due to mucking up 1 module by getting 44%. The weighting is 30:70, do you think I have decent chances of getting a 2:1 overall? I say this in general terms, do people find final year alot harder than second?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads