I am a seriously awful driver :( Watch

Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ok you MUST MUST MUST do some more lessons with your driving instructor - e.g. pass plus. I'd now say I'm a very competent driver - but I took extra lessons after I passed to keep my skill up. No harm in you doing so!
MyDadIsCalledJawad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Who takes up 18 parking spaces?

9 women drivers.

- Sickipedia.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dirtyoldriver)
So I passed my test back in October, with a VERY dodgy pass. I scraped by with 8 minors, and at the end of it the examiner said, "I've passed you but I'm concerned about you being on the road. It seemed like you were going to unravel and make a huge mistake at any moment" or words to that effect. Totally right too, I got to a clearly marked no-right turn and asked him which way he wanted me to go :facepalm:

I honestly shouldn't have passed that day, it was a complete fluke- I'd miserably failed every single mock beforehand and definitely didn't feel secure in my own ability, and the comments afterwards only sort of confirmed my feeling that I'm basically crap.

Now I've had some occasionally good drives since then, but on the whole I am an absolute state on the roads. Mainly I'm just nervous and worried constantly so often I'll second guess decisions at places like roundabouts and junctions and just **** up.

I have a massive list of places I avoid because it's tricky and I've had trouble before (joining dual carriageways, turning right at four-way junctions) & also can't park any way other than forwards, and even then it takes me a good few goes and the thought of busy supermarket car parks makes me break out in a cold sweat.

It's annoying because it's not like I'm not conscientious, or I make mistakes because I'm over confident, it's exactly the opposite. I'm just terrified of doing something wrong because I have no faith in my ability, which has exactly the reverse effect but I don't know how to change my attitude.

It really is quite serious, today I nearly missed some red traffic lights at a pedestrian crossing and nearly had to emergency stop, as well as stalling twice in a traffic jam (moving at about 1 mph, seriously) + other things.

tl;dr: am terrible driver and would like somebody to take my licence away before I kill someone. Unfortunately this isn't practical but I'm too ****ing nervous to go out on the roads because I constantly make mistakes because I'm too ****ing nervous. HELP ME. Thank you.
If you're that worried about your driving competence, you can either have some more lessons, or you can send your photocard licence and counterpart along with a letter asking that your licence be revoked, to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BN
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Even if you don't do the pass plus, many instructors will give "refresher" lessons to people who have passed but aren't confident with certain things :dontknow:
-honeybee-
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh you might have just been nervous/having a bad day when you took your test and now the examiner's comments have made you worse. But the parts of your driving you've described do sound less than brilliant. If I were you I would get my parents to take me out driving/parking and take the pass plus. You will have to be more confident if you're going on the motorway. Where do you live? Is it more remote than the mainland? If yes, then I think it's even more important for you to get some more practice.
dirtyoldriver
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by -honeybee-)
Tbh you might have just been nervous/having a bad day when you took your test and now the examiner's comments have made you worse. But the parts of your driving you've described do sound less than brilliant. If I were you I would get my parents to take me out driving/parking and take the pass plus. You will have to be more confident if you're going on the motorway. Where do you live? Is it more remote than the mainland? If yes, then I think it's even more important for you to get some more practice.
Isle of Wight. The roads here are extremely varied mainly because there's not much space for them, and it's either tricky small windy streets or long country roads that people do about 80mph along, my instructor says a lot of people who live elsewhere and try driving here say it's not very nice but then it's all I know really.

I think after all the replies saying pass plus I will ring up my instructor and just ask for him to take me on again for a bit, I find it hard driving with my parents as they're just not as calm/composed as my instructor was and I need that level-headedness. I am mindful that after September I won't do much driving at all for a few years, but I want to be able to do it fairly well for when the time comes.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree with everyone else saying Pass plus...

You seem like a complete wreck atm and a danger to everyone else on the road...

Pass plus will teach you stuff like motorways/night driving as well which is very useful...
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
WTF kind of thing is that too say "you've passed, but you should not be on the road"

What a ****!
FXX
Report 7 years ago
Examiner should be reported tbh, saying you've passed but shouldn't be driving is a totally irresponsible thing to be doing.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
as well as stalling twice in a traffic jam (moving at about 1 mph, seriously) + other things.
that is the time i stall the most so i wouldnt kick yourself about that...

practice, practice where you dont have to worry about it, like unused car parks, car parks at night, quiet roads, roads that the driving instructors use..

i learnt with my dad in bulmers orchards first (my aunty and uncle work for them), then i had some driving lessons and theres a bit of road they use which has cars parked down either side and the only other traffic seen there is other learner drivers, for my parking i have a long drive we marked up bays/pavements with wooden boards and i practiced parking

you have to get out there on the road to get better...
x
ApexPredator
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was a bit uneasy about driving alone after I passed. I didn't want to do the Pass Plus, so instead I called up my instructor and had a refresher lesson in my own car. I'd recommend doing that or Pass Plus.
IPlayThePiccolo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I suggest you get a bicycle
KittCat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been driving for just over 6 months, and the only reason I'm good at driving now is because I drive a minimum of 200 miles a week. It really is just a case of practicing.
Stressworthy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat - I know I am. I don't need to drive at the moment because I don't take my car to uni or anything, but what's now happening is that I'm scared to get into it again because I have no faith in my abilities. Just go out onto roads you know and are comfortable with, I'd suggest, or practice around places where you know there may be less cars because of the place or time or whatever, then build up on it.
Cicerao
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My driving examiner congratulated me for an otherwise wonderful drive when I failed. Damn unfair.
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
My driving examiner congratulated me for an otherwise wonderful drive when I failed. Damn unfair.
What made your fail on your "otherwise wonderful drive"?
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't stress about the minors - I got 11 of the bloody things and I don't think I'm a bad driver. Confidence is your only real problem.
Cicerao
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
What made your fail on your "otherwise wonderful drive"?
Hit the pavement reversing round a corner (which ironically was the maneuver I always did perfectly until the test, lol.)
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
Hit the pavement reversing round a corner (which ironically was the maneuver I always did perfectly until the test, lol.)
Reversing round the corner was the one I sucked at but did fine at in the test, and ironically I was great at reverse parallel until the test where I literally JUST tapped the curb, you could just about feel the bump as I brought the car to stop. But because I was basically finished and had only just hit it as I stopped then he only gave me a minor for it I believe.
-honeybee-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isle of Wight. The roads here are extremely varied mainly because there's not much space for them, and it's either tricky small windy streets or long country roads that people do about 80mph along, my instructor says a lot of people who live elsewhere and try driving here say it's not very nice but then it's all I know really.
Oh I thought you were going to say you live on a remote island in Scotland or something. Could you get your instructor to take you onto the mainland? It might break your fear when you see it's not that bad.

I think after all the replies saying pass plus I will ring up my instructor and just ask for him to take me on again for a bit, I find it hard driving with my parents as they're just not as calm/composed as my instructor was and I need that level-headedness. I am mindful that after September I won't do much driving at all for a few years, but I want to be able to do it fairly well for when the time comes.
Yeah I think pass plus/extra lessons is the best idea, if you wait for another few years you might be worse. If you don't think your parents will be helpful you could go out by yourself to a car park at night or something like that. You need somewhere you won't feel pressured. I think your biggest problem is nerves, but unfortunately this is a serious issue when it comes to driving. You need to have the confidence to make the right decision and stick to it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads