Any success stories with 2:2s? Watch

jjackson18624
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i know someone who got a degree in some sciency thing like physics/engineering @ a rubbish uni and has a good job working for the MOD.

If you get a 2.2 i'd look toward national defense..
*Elizabeth*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nataliehannan)
I'm freaking out. Don't know what I'll get yet. Worry I'll only get a 2:2. I know of friends with 2:2s who have not been employed yet a year on. But are there any success stories? Also, did you work/intern in the field you want to work in beforehand because I have been doing so.

Nat x
I got a 2.2 in my first degree.

I went onto acheive 2 MScs (one from UCL), PGCert and I won a PhD scholarship. I'm going to sit my PhD exam in June 2011.

Last year, I worked as a Research Associate at UCL and over the years, I've worked in various graduate jobs.

Sadly, I've yet to find paid work (since summer 2010) but I think this is more to do with an uncomplete PhD, half heartered attempts at job hunting (due to preparig for PhD exam) and most places rejecting my job applications for being overly qualified.

I like to think I'm a success story, but, even now despite my postgrad stuff, my 2.2 IS still a barrier- especialy as I don't have my PhD yet (well hopefully I'll pass!).

Strongly recommend getting a 2.1. It's soul destroying to STILL receive job rejections and subsequent doctoral applocations due to my 2.2.

I need to get this PhD to stand a realistic chance with my career path!
Pi!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My dad got a third in Mathematics and has aa decent job working for the ministry of Justice designing data centres.
michael clayton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cinnamon_Twist)
Why? There are no princes left to marry there and Kate has never acquired a job through her own merit. Going to St Andrews because Kate/William went there is pathetic. Cute couple though!
Applications will increase due to the extensive media coverage that St Andrews as had and I'm sure that many girls would like the idea to follow in the footsteps of Kate!
michael clayton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What footsteps!? The girl has never held down a proper job acquired through her own merit rather than family connections! The majority of applicants will not have family connections like hers so following her path will not get them a job. Besides there are no princes left in St Andrews to marry so how are they going to follow in her footsteps?
The royal wedding has put Kate and William's popularity is at an all time high, St Andrews has had glamorous publicity for educating the future king and queen.....more people are now going to want to study there. I don't know what securing a job has to do with anything.
michael clayton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes unfortunately it's true but it will probably die down a bit in the months to come. Hopefully the ones dumb enough to try out on this logic will not be admitted leaving spaces for people who actually want to learn not because they think it's glamorous. As for the job- isn't that (in most cases) why people go to uni? To secure a job? I mean, would you take up Medicine or do a Law course for fun? No, you do it to enter that profession.
Oh when I said securing a job I meant in relation to Kate's path of not finding one on her own accord. I have no idea what Art History graduates do following graduation other than perhaps working in galleries/museums. I think it's one of those subjects that people study because they have a passion for it as opposed to having high flying job ambitions but I could be wrong.
De Lubac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Blessed John Henry Newman got a 3rd class degree, and look what happened to him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_He...#At_university
areonite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends what you want to go into really. A lot of people with 2:1s and even Firsts don't have jobs a year down the line so I don't think that's necessarily an indicator!

A 2:2 is worth having in my opinion, you are still better off than somebody who only has A Levels/ GCSEs. A Third or below and you may as well have not gone to uni.
avila
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From job offers that the uni I attend spams me with, you have very few chances of getting a job if you're doing CS and end up getting a 2:2. Most job descriptions tell applicants not to bother if it's below a 2:1.

Now guess what I'll most likely end up getting...
Thank God I'm doing another degree after this one. >_>
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alright, it seems the issue with unemployment is enlarged due to general ignorance.

Unemployed for a year? Alright, fine, the economy's tough, I feel for you, truly. But what did you do as a degree? Nobody asks anyone that. Ever. Does noone else find this really stupid?

My cousin wants to do a Geography degree. Sweet, I'm happy for her! However, claiming that she's going to find it rough after graduation because she did a geography is just as stupid as claiming she'll be fine because she'll go to a top 10 university.

Moreover, I have not once heard of an engineer/mathematician/medic/dentist/compsci grad/chem grad from any university with any degree classification above a third who is unemployed. Ever. Not once.

Honestly, if you went to university without thinking about your job prospects and went for the sake of it, without any sort of passion or forethought for your degree then it serves you right to be unemployed for a little while. Learn the value of hindsight and the importance of foresight. People can work a little harder and earn their place in society.

What's more, people say that the grade doesn't matter, it's the skills you've obtained. Yeah... okay, these are the people who are going to end up with a 2:1/2:2 or lower and are trying to make themselves feel better, just like the people who push around the whole, "a 2:1 makes you seem social and so people hire you". Yes, employers might hire you, but they're probably going to be average or above average ones who can't pull in the people who get 1sts. Sadly, this is true.

If people want to be employable, then, well, here's an idea... work hard for your degree! Christ, I mean a few girls off my course phoned me up the evening before an exam and asked me how to do a step in a calculation. It was differentiation using the product rule. We're in the second year of a god damn mathematics degree! It's not acceptable to expect to coast through with minimal effort and maximal partying anymore. Hell, it was never acceptable to do so, but for some reason students think it's viable! WTF?

I've also seen plenty of 3rd years that faffed about in 2nd year who said they're aiming for firsts when they got a solid 2:2 in 2nd year. Really? Why make life harder for yourself when you could have worked harder when the work was easier?! :facepalm2:

Most of the time it's your own fault. Period. Sometimes, I agree, it's just down to misfortune; but people who are unlucky just need to trudge through and get their break, and that happens sooner or later, all the time.
crazyunicorn133
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All of my old housemates who got 2:1's and above are struggling to find work, while I went straight from uni into a good job with a 2:2 (not coz I didn't try, I was ill). It's all subjective. I was in the right place at the right time and knew i had to work extra hard at securing a job/ Something must have worked!
Phil1541
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nataliehannan)
I'm freaking out. Don't know what I'll get yet. Worry I'll only get a 2:2. I know of friends with 2:2s who have not been employed yet a year on. But are there any success stories? Also, did you work/intern in the field you want to work in beforehand because I have been doing so.

Nat x
My dad got a 2:2 from leeds met, he did accounting and finance with a placement, got an accounting job and worked his way up.

Now he's a financial director for a multi-national company earning a very good salary.

Make of it what you will he told me it all came down to the placement year and being able to get your foot through the door, after that it was just slowly working your way up through the business.

Although I would take this with a pinch of salt as this was 30 years ago and I think even a 2:2 from Leeds Met would be seen as a semi-decent degree seeing as very few people went to university those days.

If you get a 2:2 yes it does rule out a lot of graduate jobs but make sure you get valid work experience down, the one thing that will make a potential employer reconsider your application is if you have relevant work experience for the job at hand.
Staker
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
btw - all of those who are using their parents as examples, this was over 20 years ago atleast and the amount of degree awarded means that classification is now becoming increasingly important when eliminating people through the graduate scheme stages.
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by L333ct)
Im in a similar position; can you tell me what youve experienced now in life? Has this been a setback for you or have you gone on to get a 2:1 / following a career path?
This thread is nearly 6 years old....

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.4%
No - but I will (74)
7.64%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (465)
48.04%

Watched Threads