Onlive the end of consoles? Watch

Poll: Do you think onlive will be good?
Yes it's going to be freakin amazing! (5)
13.16%
No it's going to crash and burn like the Luftwaffe pilot. (33)
86.84%
high
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by The Bagel Guy)
Steam stores the games on your account not on your computer? You have to download and install them on any computer you want to play them on. But you can still play them on nay computer with steam installed on it...
You can't play them on ANY computer though the computer has to be able to run it and you have to redownload the WHOLE game for every computer.
high
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Hello Laura!)
I'm with BT and my internet fails on a daily basis.

Before that I was with Talk Talk, internet failed with them daily too, which is why we switched to the 'more reliable' BT.
Hmm I've heard the same from other BT people why don't you come over to virgin
Lyndon1504
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My friend says he has tried it, and he was using the uni's 50mb connection and he still said it lagged like a *****.
Waste of time.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
mfw I read "only 10MB"

Did an internet speed test at home yesterday - under 2.5MB/s
That's good for home.
Tobedotty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
O've got an onlive account, its completely unplayable because its so laggy. Th response time due to the lag is hideous and I can't imagine it'l be succesful untill they sort the tech out. That said if you live in america (where I presume the servers are), your ping is probably lower and it might actually be playable so i'm not sure about it yet
The Bagel Guy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by high)
You can't play them on ANY computer though the computer has to be able to run it and you have to redownload the WHOLE game for every computer.
So providing the computer has the power to run the software (which is a pre-requisite for any piece of software) then steam allows you to play your games on any computer. Also, you can put your games on to a flash drive or portable hard drive and transfer them to other computers that way... And even if your computer doesn't have internet you can play all your games in off-line mode.
Hello Laura!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by high)
Hmm I've heard the same from other BT people why don't you come over to virgin
Because we can't get Virgin where I live
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would never take off in the UK the internet is too **** here
The Bagel Guy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lyndon1504)
My friend says he has tried it, and he was using the uni's 50mb connection and he still said it lagged like a *****.
Waste of time.
Problem with the Uni's 50mb connection is it depends what your downloading...

In my case streaming is about average for a home network
Downloads are absolutely insane! (It hit nearly 250mb/s a couple of times)
And browsing is pathetically slow

So Although he's on the 50mb/s he's probably only getting about 2.5
Lyndon1504
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Bagel Guy)
Problem with the Uni's 50mb connection is it depends what your downloading...

In my case streaming is about average for a home network
Downloads are absolutely insane! (It hit nearly 250mb/s a couple of times)
And browsing is pathetically slow

So Although he's on the 50mb/s he's probably only getting about 2.5
I have a 50mb fibre optic connection into my house, still says it isn't fast enough
hxecute
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I saw the console in BBC's Blueroom when I went there for a job interview, it wasn't that good... They had a PS3+Move, XBox 360+Kinect and the Wii right next to it, and it paled in comparison in every aspect, i.e. aesthetics, lagginess, game availability, applications, etc.
mistwarden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no making mods for the game, having to use the internet and a on line account that you have to pay for, and I think in light of some news, not naming any names, that can all be broken into and information stolen.

the idea is great, but i still prefer my hard copy of games
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No chance consoles are so widely accepted and not everyone has net, also you can take your console anywere anytime, can u do it with this, no.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it sounds like an interesting idea. Certainly not the end of consoles but interesting nonetheless.
canimakeit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
No internet= no games. Onlive goes down/goes bankrupt= no games. I'd rather not be at the mercy of a third party for my entire gaming experience, it's a very all-or-nothing kinda situation. It certainly looks interesting, especially the iPad demo they showed at a tech expo last year. If I could get the full console experience on my mobile devices, I'd be very tempted to sign up. But there's no way it would replace my 360, and in general I can't see it overtaking conventional console gaming.
^This

I will keep my console thanks.
KissMyArtichoke
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love steam, but I can't ever see it replacing disk copies. The same applies to this. It'll take a lot of improvement to eliminate lag, and streaming at 1080p would use a lot of bandwidth. There's also the concern with crashing. If you internet is down, you can play steam games offline, but you can't play your onlive games if you lose connection. And what happens when the servers overload, (which will happen with every single major release)?

Also I don't get what you mean by 'what steam should have been like'
Ramses II
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see that working with mods, so I would prefer a local copy.
woody543
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I tried it, and I had a bit of lag, but not much. My main issue was the resolution.

I personally see the company being acquired by Microsoft with the technology being implemented into their next console, and them creating a new "Platinum" xbox live which allows you to stream games.
Periphery
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't played one, but its a nice idea.
I don't see it ending home consoles, but I can see it taking off big time, seeing as though a lot of people are jumping on the cloud bandwagon.
Maybe when ISPs stop advertising their broadband as "up to X Mb" and become a little more transparent about their service it will reach a wider audience.
Or someone like Virgin could pick it up and promote it, as they like to have you signed up for all your digital services. I can see that happening.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OnLive? I'll stick with my Gaming PC thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise