No wonder English people don't feel a secure sense of national identity Watch

Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
A monarchy with no power?

How does the monarchy in anyway affect our democracy. The most democratic country in the world ( according to the democracy index) is a monarchy. As are 4 out of the top 5.
Because the monarchy acts as heads of state, whether or not they have power is irrelevant - they have title and responsibility. They have access to vast amounts of tax payer's money to which we as a tax payer really have no say over in the same way fiscal policy can in theory be modified to the public's desire through democratic elections.

I'm glad you avoided my question though. Democratic arguments for a monarchy?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellrosk)
Because the monarchy acts as heads of state, whether or not they have power is irrelevant - they have title and responsibility. They have access to vast amounts of tax payer's money to which we as a tax payer really have no say over in the same way fiscal policy can in theory be modified to the public's desire through democratic elections.

I'm glad you avoided my question though. Democratic arguments for a monarchy?
Why do I have to give one? I have made my argument. The monarchy has nothing to do with how democratic this country is.

The tax payer gains more from the monarchy than it costs. Not to mention the fact that the republican movement in this country has only a minority of support from the whole population.

Democracy is the people choosign what they want. They want the monarchy.
wactm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
**** Scotland. **** Wales. **** Ireland. **** the UK.

I'm english and proud mother****ers. Scotland is not part of England. Get over it
Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Why do I have to give one? I have made my argument. The monarchy has nothing to do with how democratic this country is.

The tax payer gains more from the monarchy than it costs. Not to mention the fact that the republican movement in this country has only a minority of support from the whole population.

Democracy is the people choosign what they want. They want the monarchy.
In regards to the tax payer getting more back from the monarchy, I'll point you to the video that's floating around that corrects that misunderstanding.

Secondly, no. In its current state the monarchy is not democratic. I see what you're saying and agree with you that if the majority of the population democratically agree with a monarchy then they democratically deserve to be there. The operative word in that sentence is democracy though, we as a country are not given the chance to decide whether or not we want a democracy, how they should spend our money, who our head of state should be. What the result may or may not be is irrelevant (although I'm sure the country would vote to maintain the monarchy), the fact remains that we are not given the chance and the small minority who do disagree with the monarchy are not given their democratic right to vote for who their head of state should be. It is not democracy.

But this is all I'm saying on the issue for now, I really don't fancy twelve pages of pointless debate tonight so I'll be vacating this thread now. You can choose to reply to this although I wouldn't waste your time as I won't be replying.
Bella Occhi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Acerbic)
I thought you were going to suggest the continuation of an archaic, hereditary tradition in spite of all the moral and democratic arguments against it as a reason. My mistake you're just a little englander who can't bear scots.
To which tradition are you referring?
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellrosk)
Because the monarchy acts as heads of state, whether or not they have power is irrelevant - they have title and responsibility.
So do judges and civil servants. What matters is that the people making political policy - thus determining the direction of the country - are democratically accountable.

They have access to vast amounts of tax payer's money to which we as a tax payer really have no say over in the same way fiscal policy can in theory be modified to the public's desire through democratic elections.
They don't. They have access to £7.9 million per annum which, let's face it, the Queen does apportion spend for but is spent by her Household.
Craig_D
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tommo3)
I love everyone in the UK (am from England). However I despise the Irish (not the ones from Northern Ireland), *******s.
Why, exactly?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed