Anybody came close to or considered getting a cleaning job just to be in work? Watch

lewiss41
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As there's barely any part-time jobs where I live, I had to work a cleaning job to support myself while completing an access course this year. Glad I swallowed my pride and did it now, because I'm starting uni in around a month.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by jubedu)
I have made that choice, I am a self employed cleaner and, believe me, I earn more an hour than any poxy receptionist etc. I will not work for any less than £10 an hour and if its a good job you need doing then that is what you will get. If they want a half arsed job and pay a pittance then best they get someone else. I have just started at another companies offices where they have a very low opinion of cleaners but they have employed me at £12.50 an hour and it 2 weeks alone, the building looks a different place.
Nice one on the success you've gained. Thanks for bringing this thread up, man over three years ago, had forgotten I'd even made it!

I certainly wasn't looking down on those who work as a cleaner but can understand why my OP might have been construed that way. Put it down to my negative mood having been out of work for a while.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd do cleaning if it was short term, the sort of job you take to maintain some income whilst you try and find a more long term solution. It pays quite well considering the hours and what the job actually consists of. It's not the most glamorous job in the world but I don't see the need for people to look down on it. From an employers pov it'll show a good work ethic too.

Put it this way, i'd rather do cleaning than work in retail. Better pay, better hours and no annoying customers!
yoursoulismine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mermania)
even for cleaning you'll probably be rejected in favour of experienced cleaners tbh.
also, I would be wary of it wrecking your CV
I've cleaned for the NHS before and I really enjoyed my job. I cleaned up clinical waste and toilets and offices. It wasn't as bad as it sounded. You get used to seeing and smelling ****. I've never had the job wreck my CV as I believe it shows determination, organisational skills and also customer service skills. Employers often also like that you've worked your way from the bottom.

Getting a cleaning job is surprisingly not easy as you're competing every man, woman, child, dog and cat (especially jobs advertised in the Job Centre Plus). Cleaning jobs often get loads of applicants applying and close early.

(Original post by sr90)

Put it this way, i'd rather do cleaning than work in retail. Better pay, better hours and no annoying customers!
Definitely. I hated working in retail. Primark was absolute hell. I say cleaning is better than working in a mid-end high street retail store even (such as Topshop, House of Fraser, etc). They're often on the same pay and have even more stress. The only thing is they often get paid to look good (like 'hot' girls in Hollister)

(Original post by bittr n swt)
I ain't that desperate.
Working in retail for stores like Primark, Asda, Tesco is worse. Working in warehousing for companies such as Amazon is the absolute worst IMO.
cinderellam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Now I've been outa work almost 2 years,and yes i almost went into housekeeper in hotel,did 4 hours yesterday,but i soon realised not for me,as its a low confidence job,so my advise to anyone is stay clear of thinkin its ok ,cause you get stuck in it for the money,big no !!
scorpion95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yeah I have tried and been rejected for someone who had experience. It is the way businesses are they don't want to invest in people they would rather employ someone with experience but what they don't realise is without investing in people then they are loosing out and also damaging the country by not giving people a chance to get experience. So chances are unless you have experience cleaning then it isn't worth wasting your time just to get rejected. If you really want to get a cleaning job then I would say try the cleaning companies as they might provide some basic training and also provide you with the cleaning products and equipment and you can either to comercial properties like offices or domestic so other peoples homes
Last edited by scorpion95; 5 months ago
death07/08/17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This is a really old thread....
ShaunB1974
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don't ever ever ever take on a cleaning job. Once you get in, you may find yourself stuck and unable to get out unless you have already got a carefully planned exit strategy in mind. You will become dependent on the wage (even if meager) and will find yourself unable to quit because if you do you won't be eligible for unemployment benefits/income support. Your only option is to perform so poorly that they have to fire you and then of course you have a bad reference. It's humiliating, destroys your self esteem faster than you can imagine and when you bump into your peers from the past while on the job, good luck explaining what the hell you're doing there cleaning **** and piss off toilets while they are working as lawyers, doctors, teachers etc. It plays on your mind and can eventually feel as though you belong there and can't do anything else. There is clearly no room for advancement generally whatsoever and most cleaners I have met have been stuck doing the same thing for ten or more years. With minimum wage, you have no chance for holidays or anything worthwhile, and YES it doesn't look good on your CV at all if you end up stuck cleaning for more than a year. You become labelled a 'cleaner' and that's exactly how people start seeing you and treating you. You will encounter people being condescending toward you very frequently and often catch wry smiles from people your age looking at you clearly thinking
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I applie for loads of cleaning jobs when I came out of uni.
ShaunB1974
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cinderellam)
Now I've been outa work almost 2 years,and yes i almost went into housekeeper in hotel,did 4 hours yesterday,but i soon realised not for me,as its a low confidence job,so my advise to anyone is stay clear of thinkin its ok ,cause you get stuck in it for the money,big no !!
Absolutely spot on! Yes steer clear if it's not what you're comfortable and content doing. You can easily find yourself going down a path you never intended, getting stuck in a rut and unable to move. Believe it or not some people really enjoy cleaning and can happily see themselves doing it for the rest of their life, and that's fine! If it's who you are. Don't be lulled into thinking that you're doing something honourable by lowering your standards just to be doing some kind of work. What's far far far more important than simply 'doing some work' or 'having a job' is maintaining your level of esteem, your reputation, the way others see you and the way you see yourself. It's critically important to maintain your social and professional 'status' amongst people. By being seen doing cleaning, you immediately reduce your status in the community and over time you feel this within yourself as if you yourself have changed and become 'less'. It's a very real phenomenon. Never think 'well at least it's work'. No big mistake. Leave cleaning for people who are suited to it and actually enjoy it. You're not contributing anything by lowering yourself to something that is not even close to your personal level of ability. I once asked a security guard in the shopping mall where I clean why they will never pick up a piece of rubbish or do anything that is considered 'cleaning'. It's because if they're seen doing it, the level of respect they command as security personnel is reduced and people are more likely to take advantage/steal etc because the security is seen as 'soft'. That's how powerful it is. Just one little action can cause a loss of respect and they're actually instructed to radio in cleaners even for the smallest little drop of water on the floor to avoid this. It's just how we humans are. Don't ever do cleaning ever, unless you're really not very bright or capable with anything else at all, and it's what you want to do for the rest of your life. If you do end up doing cleaning and get stuck in it, you will resent it greatly and end up a very very angry and bitter person.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
what's the shame in a cleaning job? use it as an opportunity to make ends meet while you try to path to a career
ShaunB1974
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
what's the shame in a cleaning job? use it as an opportunity to make ends meet while you try to path to a career
There isn't necessarily shame in it, if it's right for you as a person or if you're simply young trying to make a few dollars. But if you're older and want to build a career, working part time as a cleaner isn't a great idea in my opinion. For all the reasons I've stated above regarding your self esteem etc. And if you know that you should be doing something better, given your abilities/qualifications etc but you have allowed yourself to fall into the trap of working a dead end job and you're going nowhere in life, then yes, you absolutely should feel shame, and you should get out of it as soon as possible. It's shameful to waste your talents/abilities/qualifications just because it's so much easier to get a cleaning job than pursue a real career. The reality is, cleaning is a low tier, low status, low self confidence profession that should really only be done by people who belong there and who actually enjoy it. Anyway, the real issue is not about shame, it's about the danger of getting stuck in a dead end job with absolutely no stimulation or challenge whatsoever, that will ultimately make you very miserable if you are educated and should be doing something much more challenging. Cleaning is a lonely, boring, tedious, empty job devoid of stimulation and devoid of anything that will make the average person feel good about themselves. I think there is a genuine and real danger that working as a cleaner can have a seriously detrimental effect on you as a person. My advice is DON'T DO IT! It wrecks your body, it can harm your self esteem and it's a waste of time because you'll make barely enough money to survive. And any more than a few months of cleaning on your resume will absolutely destroy your credibility as any kind of serious professional. True high level professionals have more self esteem than to lower themselves to such menial, subservient tasks such as cleaning for a living. Put it this way, if I was choosing a doctor to operate on me, I wouldn't choose one who had worked as a cleaner for 2 years because they couldn't find anything better. Catch my drift? Cleaning is for low status people, period.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed