EU Travel Ban Fail: Mugabe is in Rome Watch

jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
There you have it, he cannot be arrested while he is in the Vatican City... however once in Rome he could be but is it worth it? how long has he got left to live?
Yeah, but he flew in through Rome..so at the airport they coulda just stopped him..no?
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
I'm assuming this is a snide comment about how there is no arrest warrant or pending trial for him?

Although the people commenting may not know the intricacies of international law, it's pretty obvious what they mean. And it would easily follow that if they are questioning why he wasn't arrested, they feel there should be an arrest warrant/pending trial for him (as do I).
No seriously all i ever see is people say bad things about Mugabi but i don't know what he did to receive all this negative publicity inform me please
callum9999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jacktri)
No seriously all i ever see is people say bad things about Mugabi but i don't know what he did to receive all this negative publicity inform me please
I still don't believe someone can be that ignorant while still having access to the internet... I don't know if you are from a country where this wasn't publicised, but if you live in Britain someone asking what happened in WW2 wouldn't be much more ignorant!

On the off chance you are telling the truth, there are millions of stories about him online - why did it not occur to you to look at some? Basically he's a racist, evil dictator who plunged his once prosperous country into ruins resulting in huge numbers of deaths from starvation etc., as well as attacking anyone who oppossed him.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
If you live in Britain someone asking what happened in WW2 wouldn't be much more ignorant!
Please, if they are young and only now learning about what happened it is acceptable to ask.

Also in this case the guy you quoted was within is rights to ask what he had done as you can't expect everyone to know what every evil dictator has done.
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I still don't believe someone can be that ignorant while still having access to the internet... I don't know if you are from a country where this wasn't publicised, but if you live in Britain someone asking what happened in WW2 wouldn't be much more ignorant!

On the off chance you are telling the truth, there are millions of stories about him online - why did it not occur to you to look at some? Basically he's a racist, evil dictator who plunged his once prosperous country into ruins resulting in huge numbers of deaths from starvation etc., as well as attacking anyone who oppossed him.
Zimbabwe was never prosperous
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Please, if they are young and only now learning about what happened it is acceptable to ask.

Also in this case the guy you quoted was within is rights to ask what he had done as you can't expect everyone to know what every evil dictator has done.
Mugabe isn't just any evil dictator though is he. Until recently Zimbabwe was regularly in the news and everyone should really know at least the outline of what happens. And if they don't, there is extensive information about it online which anyone can easily find. And the response to my explanation doesn't really make it sound like they were being particularly truthful does it.

Zimbabwe was never prosperous
In comparison to how it is now, yes it was. Ever heard the term "the bread basket of Africa"? Under Mugabe, Zimbabwe went from a self-sufficient exporter to a country heavily reliant on aid to feed it's people. Maybe prosperous was taking it too far, but it was certainly comfortable.
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mugabe isn't just any evil dictator though is he. Until recently Zimbabwe was regularly in the news and everyone should really know at least the outline of what happens. And if they don't, there is extensive information about it online which anyone can easily find. And the response to my explanation doesn't really make it sound like they were being particularly truthful does it.

In comparison to how it is now, yes it was. Ever heard the term "the bread basket of Africa"? Under Mugabe, Zimbabwe went from a self-sufficient exporter to a country heavily reliant on aid to feed it's people. Maybe prosperous was taking it too far, but it was certainly comfortable.
Okay so Mugabi isn;t a very good leader is that reason to arrest him there are plenty of countries that have bad leaders
slavetosociety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Obviously he has made some shady dealings to be allowed to go to Rome in the first place.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay so Mugabi isn;t a very good leader is that reason to arrest him there are plenty of countries that have bad leaders
No-one wants him arrested for "not being a very good leader" - they want him arrested for mass murder.

Yes that is a good reason to arrest him, and yes, I'm sure the people calling for Mugabe to be arrested would also like to see other mass-murdering dictators arrested as well.
Hamesh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wasn't he a few months back shopping in New York?
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hamesh)
Wasn't he a few months back shopping in New York?
He went to a UN meeting last year (which is presumably allowed within the travel ban?). Don't know if he went shopping or not. Though in Rome while Mugabe was at a UN meeting his wife went out on a shopping spree so it wouldn't surprise me
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No-one wants him arrested for "not being a very good leader" - they want him arrested for mass murder.

Yes that is a good reason to arrest him, and yes, I'm sure the people calling for Mugabe to be arrested would also like to see other mass-murdering dictators arrested as well.
So they put a serial killer in as their president wtf that country must be ****ed up did he shoot or stab his victims i bet he used a classic machete
Hamesh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He went to a UN meeting last year (which is presumably allowed within the travel ban?). Don't know if he went shopping or not.

Robert Mugabe in the cosmetics aisle of the New York store.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uty-store.html

Freely going around NYC, it seems.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So they put a serial killer in as their president wtf that country must be ****ed up did he shoot or stab his victims i bet he used a classic machete
I seriously cannot grasp whether you genuinely don't know about Zimbabwe or not?

They didn't put a serial killer in as their president - they had no choice in the matter.

And just because you didn't do the killing personally, doesn't mean you didn't do the murdering. If you ordered it then you are responsible for it (I'm sure the same applies under UK law - if I higher an assassin I would be tried for murder).
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hamesh)

Robert Mugabe in the cosmetics aisle of the New York store.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...uty-store.html

Freely going around NYC, it seems.
I have no idea how I'd react if I bumped into Mugabe in a shop (well, I could guess how I would react if his bodyguards weren't there)!
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I seriously cannot grasp whether you genuinely don't know about Zimbabwe or not?

They didn't put a serial killer in as their president - they had no choice in the matter.

And just because you didn't do the killing personally, doesn't mean you didn't do the murdering. If you ordered it then you are responsible for it (I'm sure the same applies under UK law - if I higher an assassin I would be tried for murder).
I would imagine all countries with an active military are lead by serial killers then as people die as a result of their wars.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would imagine all countries with an active military are lead by serial killers then as people die as a result of their wars.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? He killed Zimbabwean civilians - much like Libya have been doing.
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you being deliberately obtuse? He killed Zimbabwean civilians - much like Libya have been doing.
Why would he randomly kill civilians that seems illogical.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would he randomly kill civilians that seems illogical.
It wasn't random as you well know. I really don't know why I keep bothering to reply to you - no-one can be this stupid...
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As much as Mugabe is a ****, and deserves either to be arrested, or just eft to rot, he does have a great name. Backwards, it is the yorkshire phrase 'E ba gum!'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads