£10,000 to invest. Who wants it? Watch

Dumpynose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wavey93)
Yh I was wondering if you could tell me how I can go about incorporating some holdings in a company. Thanks
If you knew what you were talking about you would know that sentence doesn't make any sense. I've been interested in this for years now, unless you already have a lot of cash sitting about I would even bother thinking about it right now.
Buddski
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neillya1)
£10k on black.

If you win, you double your money.

I'll take a 10% cut for my suggestion.

Now you're talking my language.
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
Only joking, you filthy chavs aren't getting a penny of it. But perhaps you can advise me how best to "use" this money (invest it somehow, not just piss it away). I don't need to touch it (I hope), since I have about £2000 safety net in cash and current accounts and I also just about earn enough to cover my monthly outgoings.

It's currently just sitting there split between three useless low-interest accounts, and has been for the last 10-20 years, actually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Invest in a very good rope.
Jmzie-Coupe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
10K? That it?
twinklestar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumpynose)
This is why it is very difficult to trust a financial advisor or any who purely provides financial services as it likely (but never certain) that the only reason they are in it is for money & who do they make their money from? Their clients. The commission they charge on pension schemes for example is absolutely criminal and it's in their best interests to do so.

Which is exactly why I'm doing it my way.
best thing to do with money you have that you don't need access to is to stick into an ISA

i know what you mean, whenever i go to a bank i never trust what they have to tell me about their products
Dumpynose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by twinklestar)
best thing to do with money you have that you don't need access to is to stick into an ISA
Unless you don't pay income tax of course as there's usually better non-isa rates around!
ShadowConspiracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd throw my money in the oil game, Oh how I wish purchased a load of shares in BP when the oil spill happened, I'd be laughing right now.
Onwards and Upwards!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're never too young to own a BMW 3 series.... (second hand of course...)
twinklestar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumpynose)
Unless you don't pay income tax of course as there's usually better non-isa rates around!
lol i assumed you were a student
Skaterkid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use the money to find a life
Dumpynose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by twinklestar)
lol i assumed you were a student
Funny that, how did you guess?!
laeof
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only joking, you filthy chavs aren't getting a penny of it. But perhaps you can advise me how best to "use" this money (invest it somehow, not just piss it away). I don't need to touch it (I hope), since I have about £2000 safety net in cash and current accounts and I also just about earn enough to cover my monthly outgoings.

It's currently just sitting there split between three useless low-interest accounts, and has been for the last 10-20 years, actually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Some of the fixed-rate bonds are giving decent interest rates now. I personally have money split in several places. Some in fixed rate account, some in an ISA, some in stocks etc. But then I have a fair bit more than 10k...I'm not entirely sure of the best route for 10k tbh. It depends how risky you want to be.
George_m
Report 7 years ago
I've heard underwater hairdryers are on the up
Pn94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We don't want your Monopoly money, child.
Cicerao
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Rev. William Mogumba calling.
bob dylan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
give it to charity
cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty clueless about this stuff so I'll see what's around. I don't really trust most bank products and advice they'd give me, I'm sure it's all fiction.

I did get into forex a few years ago actually, haha. It was a typically disastrous experience.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Santander usually do a thing whereby if you invest 50% in to a portfolio then they give you a good rate for 1 year on an ISA with the remaining 50%.
Last year I got a 5.5% isa when I invested in a low/medium risk portfolio, which went up around 10%. Not bad if you want to just stick with a bank you can walk in to and talk to someone, and don't want anything too risky.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty clueless about this stuff so I'll see what's around. I don't really trust most bank products and advice they'd give me, I'm sure it's all fiction.

I did get into forex a few years ago actually, haha. It was a typically disastrous experience.
Obviously they sell their own products but its not all fiction. Big Banks serve millions of people have many products to suit different people. It isn't in their interest to provide crap products, and the penalties for selling inappropriate products are very very serious. At least go along and ask them, and see what they come up with? I'm sure the product they suggest will be better than leaving your money earning pretty much no interest for 10-20 years.
bjh30
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
If this is a serious post, I have 2 ideas depending on your risk profile. One is almost 100% secure (nothing is ever 100%, but this is as safe as can be) and you can get a good return...but nothing fantastic (maybe 3.5-4% a year plus good growth potential - from 2012 you should see growth of at least 3% a year on your capital, plus interest/div. payments)

The other, is more risky, but the upside is larger - basically invest it in £2.5k lumps across 4 different stocks - as I have done. However, the market is turbulent, and May-Sept isn't the best time to invest really. Recent events (slowdown in growth in US, earthquake Japan, Middle East, yesterdays news) are all painting a picture of huge volatility...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed