Best sportsman? Watch

GooseNation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Might have to argue Messi on this one. A footballer with so much grace and skill. And even though he plays for the most dishonest team in all of football you never see him take a dive, always tries to make the most of the possession. Plus, when he is fouled he never moans, just gets up and gets on with it.

Honourable mention also to Jerry Rice, Ray Lewis, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, and Roger Federer.
Biggillystyle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
giggsy.
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think you can pick 1, but I would say the followings are probably the current top 10 in no particular order:

Michael Schumacher / Ayrton Senna
Roger Federer
Valentino Rossi
Tiger Woods
Sachin Tendulkar
Muhammad Ali
Pele
Lance Armstrong
Michael Jordan

(Looking at their sporting achievements only)
michael clayton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sachin Tendulkar- not just for his cricketing achievements but for his outstanding attitude to the game.

Roger Federer- for rewriting the tennis record books, his winning mentality and natural flare.

Who I wouldn't consider great.....

Michael Schumacher- F1 is an unfair sport with no level playing field; much of Schumacher's success is due to the car and not the man himself. Great sportsmen also know when it's time to call it a day. Making a comeback has done nothing but tarnish Schumi's reputation.

Tiger Woods- for cheating on his wife and letting down the many fans that idolised him.
johno090
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MC armani)
Tendulkar (certainly) and Warne (almost).
They don't come close to Taylor in terms of total dominance in their sport over such a long period.

I am by no means a fan of darts but he has to be up there with the top sportsmen due to his attitude. He never lets his performance drop from his absolute best, it's astounding.
MC armani
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by johno090)
They don't come close to Taylor in terms of total dominance in their sport over such a long period.

I am by no means a fan of darts but he has to be up there with the top sportsmen due to his attitude. He never lets his performance drop from his absolute best, it's astounding.
Yeh but darts is hardly a sport in which its hard to sustain good performances for looong periods of time. In cricket it's far harder; for a start your performance depends to a large degree on someone else's. So a batsman will find it very hard to succeed if a bowler's bowling very well. Not the case with darts.

I know Taylor's a great darts player but I'm more impressed by either the cricketers' or the NFL player's achievements because of the greater complexity of their sports.
michael clayton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MC armani)
Yeh but darts is hardly a sport in which its hard to sustain good performances for looong periods of time. In cricket it's far harder; for a start your performance depends to a large degree on someone else's. So a batsman will find it very hard to succeed if a bowler's bowling very well. Not the case with darts.

I know Taylor's a great darts player but I'm more impressed by either the cricketers' or the NFL player's achievements because of the greater complexity of their sports.
The biggest problem with darts is that it's not a global sport- the vast majority of players are from the UK/Netherlands. Taylor's success is partly due to a lack of talent in the game and the fact that very few people choose to a take up darts....hence the lack of competition.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd have Sir Steve Redgrave on any list.
warwickorbristol
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kbountra)
Michael Schumacher- F1 is an unfair sport with no level playing field; much of Schumacher's success is due to the car and not the man himself. Great sportsmen also know when it's time to call it a day. Making a comeback has done nothing but tarnish Schumi's reputation.
Didn't he revolutionise the sport and make it more and more about the driver and his dedication. Heard he trained 4 hours a day, very few elite marathon runners will train for that long.

In my opinion the only fair way to compare the relative difficulty of each sport is to compare them to their competition, the best footballer needs to be better than more than a billion others while the best dartsmen probably only better than less than 100 thousand (If that). Similarly an athlete facing huge challenges like say Armstrong's cancer, coming from poverty/a country without decent sporting infrastructure etc.

If there was one inherently easy sport then every ****er would be earning millions of pounds to do it.

Just another name into the hat, Helen Diamantides is a woman who managed to match and beat every man in her own sport of ultra distance fell running. The race was so brutal it was never repeated but she finished first in a 5 day 220 mile race against some of the best athletes in the world.
michael clayton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by warwickorbristol)
Didn't he revolutionise the sport and make it more and more about the driver and his dedication. Heard he trained 4 hours a day, very few elite marathon runners will train for that long.

In my opinion the only fair way to compare the relative difficulty of each sport is to compare them to their competition, the best footballer needs to be better than more than a billion others while the best dartsmen probably only better than less than 100 thousand (If that). Similarly an athlete facing huge challenges like say Armstrong's cancer, coming from poverty/a country without decent sporting infrastructure etc.

If there was one inherently easy sport then every ****er would be earning millions of pounds to do it.

Just another name into the hat, Helen Diamantides is a woman who managed to match and beat every man in her own sport of ultra distance fell running. The race was so
brutal it was never repeated but she finished first in a 5 day 220 mile race against some of the best athletes in the world.
I think it is difficult to say how good Schumacher actually was- whilst he was no doubt a skilful and talented driver, his car conferred him an advantage over fellow competitors in his years with Ferrari. The sad thing is that this is always going to be the case with F1- the sport isn't on a level playing field and some drivers will always be advantaged. If you tell Sebastian Vettel to drive a lap around Monaco in his Red Bull and then ask him to do the same with a Force India, obviously the Red Bull is going to do it faster......it's like giving him a handicap on the golf course.
james lane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kbountra)
I think it is difficult to say how good Schumacher actually was- whilst he was no doubt a skilful and talented driver, his car conferred him an advantage over fellow competitors in his years with Ferrari. The sad thing is that this is always going to be the case with F1- the sport isn't on a level playing field and some drivers will always be advantaged. If you tell Sebastian Vettel to drive a lap around Monaco in his Red Bull and then ask him to do the same with a Force India, obviously the Red Bull is going to do it faster......it's like giving him a handicap on the golf course.
I agree, Button is proof of this - kicked around 10th-15th for most of his career until he was out of a job, then got put in a car which just happened to have a huge advantage over the rest of the field. two years later he is still driving the top cars, but nowhere nea as good as his teammate...
anonstudent1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KNOB-head)
tendulkar batting on a pitch with grass on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwtTaEo43U

if indians weren't such pussies and prepared greener wickets, tendulkar would be polishing boots in mumbai. ponting and lara were far greater players.
At least we don't shoot teams that come to play us. Your country is the worldwide number 1 joke
JulietAlphaGolf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Shane Watson.
brmj93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
James Cracknell-show me anyone else who has numerous olympic golds, then gets brain damage in a cycling accident, in a coma for over a week and has the nuts to get back on the bike!

Lad
pinkfreekyfrog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry guys but it has to be Nicky Hayden, (if you don't know who he is google him) he is awsome and such a good 'sport'!!! xx
VQG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sachin Tendulkar.

Not even particularly interested in cricket but of what i know he is the best. Living with the pressure of more than 1 billion people expecting you to score a century every time you come out to bat is something no sportsman has ever faced. Plus for the dimwits his average away from home is better than at home so he isn't a flat track bully. Also his best years from what i know were in the 90s an era accepted to be much tougher for batting and he had a better average in that decade than any other batsman by a mile at a very young age too.

Ponting, Lara (to a certain extent), fatty etc only started dominating in the 00s when the averages are sky high and pitches flatter than an iron board. Which makes Warne, Muralitharan, Mcgrath, Pollocks achievements even greater. Though Tendulkar still managed to dominate them in both decades- one favourable to bowlers and other for batsmen.

Btw I'm only commenting about the era i know well of, hence not those beyond my age- e.g. Jordan, Bradman, Cruyff, Pele, Borg.
Hemzo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tendulkar, Federer, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Pele
mczakk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by johno090)
Phil Taylor. Can be argued that he's not a sportsman but to consistently be at the very top of his profession for over 20 years is an unrivaled achievement as far as I am aware. To still have the desire and determination to win after that long at the top is truly amazing no matter what you think of the game.
ed moses, steve redgrave, and though i hate to say it, alex ferguson
ollymo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hemzo)
Tendulkar, Federer, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Pele
Ronaldo a great sportsman, Really?

"Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors"

I also remember Messi blasting the ball into the crowd, a rather unsporting act if you ask me.
Hemzo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ollymo)
Ronaldo a great sportsman, Really?

"Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness, ethics, respect, and a sense of fellowship with one's competitors"

I also remember Messi blasting the ball into the crowd, a rather unsporting act if you ask me.
In terms of sporting ability
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.32%
No - but I will (74)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (69)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (475)
48.17%

Watched Threads