First Year Undergrad , Best choice accommodation in Aberdeen Uni ? Watch

wilsjen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yonglele)
i'd asked them to reassign me...got Adam Smith this time~ is it better?

Adam Smith was newly refurbished last year (the year after I moved out) and it is fantastic! Also more fun/social space due to it being laid out in dorm style (corridors with bedrooms off them) and a huge TV/party room downstairs, large kitchens at the end of the corridors. Generally a lot of fun can be have there! Enjoy it, i'm jealous I can't go back
Dirty Dream Number Two
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure how they'll do it this year, but the year just gone Fyfe was all boys, Adam Smith was all girls (including ground floor), and Wavell was 2 floors of boys and 3 floors of girls
FrigidSymphony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AlexLouren)
Hey everyone, I'm a current student at the Uni of Aberdeen. So, a bit about the accommodation.

The university guarantees that there are enough places for all the first year students in the Halls.
Hillhead Halls aka. the student village is a place surrounded by walls, where CCTV is in operation 24/7. There are laundry areas, a small bar, cash machine, games hall where you can play table tennis, basket or maritial arts, a shop which is a bit expensive but is literally in front of your door and Quizmat for all those mad about duner, kebap and the rest of the indian food.

The positives of Hillhead Halls are:
it's well secured by CCTV and security guards
most of the first graders are here
during the freshers' week you'll have the best parties in here
it's close to Uni, especially if you walk through Seaton park which is nearby
bus No. 20 comes on every 30 minutes - it passes by the University and goes to the center.
LIDL is really close to the Halls.
You have a cleaner coming to tidy up the kitchen and other communal areas ones on every two weeks
Not paying the bills and the Internet cause they are included in the rent
Plenty of parking places

The negatives are:
because of the security, fire-alarm trainings and all the pros, the accommodation is more expensive than it is in private halls [although Aberdeen is one of the cities famous for the most expensive flats and houses under rent!]
You'll most probably have to share a flat with 5 other people [Hector Boece, Esslemont, New Carnegie] or live on the same floor with many others [Fyfe House] Unless you are at New Carnegie, you may end up a bit disappointed from the conditions in the rooms - e.g. old furnutire. But this is freedom after all, and it's not a 4-star hotel!

Well, my advice is... if you already know a current student here, you can very well get informed if they can offer you a room to rent in their sharehold. NEVER trust websites as these are full of skimmers! Well, maybe the student accommodation provided by the Uni is the best option after all... at least until you stop feeling like a fish out of water.

My room at Hector Boece Court

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/596571...824817100.jpg/
You're in Hector Boece? We must have met at some point.

Anyways, OP, for your first year I recommend Hector Boece Court in Hillhead. You'll meet the most people, make the most friends and have the best parties. You'll forge connections that will last for your entire Uni stay.
Anna_Lee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm from the states and never got to see the different accommodations so I pretty much had no idea what I was doing when I applied. I was put into Johnston. Is the food really that bad?
Would it be better if I just reapplied to Adam Smith or Fyfe and paid for my own food?
zazuska
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi ! I was assigned in Johnston too I guess will be seeing each other. By the way any comments on Johnston?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed