The internet is full of cowards who wouldn't dare in real life Watch

Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I tend to say with my body language offline what I say with words online. So while I wouldn't say some of the stuff I put online to someone's face, they could probably tell what I was thinking anyway.

Tis true it's a lot easier to voice an opinion online anyway, I'm too scared to do it in real life cause there will always be people up for an argument and arguments give me mini panic attacks and sometimes I cry, but online I can just ignore others...
IFondledAGibbon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm more reserved in real life, but I wouldn't say I change much of my 'ways'. I Like the debate and I like trying (and failing) to make people laugh.

The first is much easier online, the second is much harder.
Mr Disco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm actually just an automated response, so have no IRL point of comparison.
nativeLondoner
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends what this domain of 'real life' constitutes. Its quite difficult to start a spontaneous debate outside Tesco.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see why you are making it sounds as if the 'noble' thing to do is to be a complete arse to people in real life. People in real life have manners, partly to avoid awkwardness/hurt feelings from their friends. On the internet you can express to strangers you don't care about what you actually think without being cried at or arrested or punched.

Of course people say on the internet what they wouldn't say in real life, but I don't see your point as to why it's a terrible thing? If people's comments offend you then get off the internet.
Abbadon27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You make it sound like a bad thing.
Holly Hiskey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PendulumBoB)
I feel that places like 4chan show what human nature truly is; it shows what people are really by giving them anonymity.
I hate that idea- I mean, if you look at 4chan then you've got to assume that there are quite a few men in the world who think that all women are inferior in pretty much every way and yet in real life they probably act normally (for someone that goes on 4chan anyway). The same goes for being homophobic or racist.
I do act pretty much the same on the internet as I do in real life though.
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm real brah
ChaoticMaster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
What people can't say in real life, they say on the internet. People are generally more hurtful, racist, sexist, homophobic, other ists and phobics on the internet.

What is the actual point though of doing this? Doesn't this just give you a false sense of satisfaction if you are say are more racist/homophobic on the internet? Because in real life, most wouldn't dare otherwise they'd get beaten up or jailed.

So is the internet just a place for cowardly people to express their true feelings?
I think its more to do with the impersonality of the internet. If your talking to a person face to face you feel a personal conection and feel you should attempt to respect them. If your talking on the internet there is no personal connection so you say what you think.

An alternet outlook on your theory is that people speak their true opinions on the internet because although people like to support free speech when that free speech is used against them in an offensive manner they are likely to react with violence rather than reason so the internet offers the chance to express your true thoughts without fear of reprisal from a persons base instincts.

That and most people are stupid and the internet gives them a chance to show their stupidity in ways which face to face conversations don't.
emi_sarb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't said anything online that I wouldn't want people I know IRL to see, but I'm quite shy so I voice my opinion more online than I would IRL.

Although there are plenty of these around.

Emmargh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that Facebook is a heaven for this sort of thing.
So many 'friends' decided to say what they really thought of me over Facebook after A Level results day last year. Wow, well 'ard.

One was out of pure jealousy though, she apparently did it to a lass in her year when they all left, and because she did that bad she had to do a 3rd year at college. Niceeeee...
cttp_ngaf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
What people can't say in real life, they say on the internet. People are generally more hurtful, racist, sexist, homophobic, other ists and phobics on the internet.

What is the actual point though of doing this? Doesn't this just give you a false sense of satisfaction if you are say are more racist/homophobic on the internet? Because in real life, most wouldn't dare otherwise they'd get beaten up or jailed.

So is the internet just a place for cowardly people to express their true feelings?
I don't see how it's cowardly to avoid violent repercussions and intentionally not offend people in real life. It's just polite and sensible.

It's like how you're probably a lot more crude and offensive when talking to your friends than talking to your grandparents. It's not "cowardly". Strange choice of word.
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by concubine)
I'm pretty much the same in person.
This is true. I don't know if you remember, but last time we were out together (no homo), you tried to get a rabble of EDL supporters to totally come at you. ***** don't give no ****s.
Humz7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
internet is full of keyboard warriors. people write stuff they dare not say in person because they feel a sense of security/safety as their location/name/etc. is unknown. to put it lightly, they are pussy's.
Ocassus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Handy diagram explains it for you...
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nah, I'm a prick in real life too.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I expressed my more provocative opinions in public, I would get prosecuted for something or other. :dontknow: I keep it to my circle of "friends" though. :giggle:
SamHey789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because people are anonymous online, they are free to take on a different persona, one that can be seen to be very aggressive. Its probably just a way of venting.
goodfellow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People are not held accountable for their actions, and when this situation is brought about, a large proportion of people don't feel bad about doing nasty things.

This is a theory of the behaviour of the nazi's in the world war (whose identities were removed due to their identical uniforms and large numbers), and more recently the americans who tortured afghan soldiers, as they had no fear of ever being caught or identified. Remember, there was a huge army of nazi's, not a small population, and these were 'ordinary' people that were simply allowed to ignore the traditional morals of society.

There also have been a few ethically questionable psychology experiments that have shown this same behaviour - which are out there to be looked up if you are interested.

Also I read in the news recently about anonymous posters making fun at the parents of a daughter who had just hanged herself. When questioned about how they felt, they said they absolutely didn't care.

All in all, it's not the best to ponder on how 'nice' people are, because in general i'd say there are more 'evil' people out than you can imagine, and that is a pretty depressing thought.

Here is a relevant video that helps explain what I'm trying to say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFEV35tWsg
innerhollow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the internet can be a much truer reflection of people's personality because when you're on the internet not restricted by fear of social retribution. At school/university you have to watch what you say to avoiding making enemies. I don't think that should be deemed cowardice- it's just good sense. Whereas if you make enemies on the internet it's completely inconsequential- you simply close your browser. To be honest, I'd rather people let out their hateful bile on the internet than anywhere else.

(Original post by Holly Hiskey)
I hate that idea- I mean, if you look at 4chan then you've got to assume that there are quite a few men in the world who think that all women are inferior in pretty much every way and yet in real life they probably act normally (for someone that goes on 4chan anyway). The same goes for being homophobic or racist.
Well just be glad that these misogynists/racist/homophobes that you mention are usually able to act civil in real life. Some people are hateful down to their core, they just restrict themselves because society orders it. Just like with the internet, if you go to football games where everyone is in a huge anonymous crowd, people will yell some very hateful things, even to the extent of things as vile as Holocaust jokes.

I do act pretty much the same on the internet as I do in real life though.
That statement doesn't really make any sense. For example you act differently around your parents compared to your friends, and differently when with strangers or with people of importance etc. Everyone behaves differently depending on the social situation, and the internet is no different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise