An Oxbridge education and artistic creativity Watch

Angela_Beth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm at Oxbridge and I know a hell of a lot of extremely creative and talented people. Being academic and being artistic aren't traits that are mutually exclusive. Some people are just all rounders.
Actually Working
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I consider myself to be dangerously right brained, but it doesn't mean I'm not academic: if you're studying for an arts degree, appreciate of the arts is absolutely essential, and creativity is incredibly helpful. Moreover, creativity is very desirible when it comes to writing essays. I speak this potential rubbish as someone who has an Oxford offer for English and feels creative, with many of the interests you describe yourself as having.

Many great artists and writers were intellectuals: an awareness of how art functions and its previous successes and trends, workings and nuances is often instrumental towards creating new art. Just look at how much fantastic work is creative as a challenge to the past.
chai wallah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MizzPoly)
Yes, I think that's a fair answer. There are people that are multi-talented, and that's the end of it.

Edited to add that I think a lot of my angst has to do with NOT wanting to be left-brained. I have a deep appreciation for the fine arts, music, and the theatre and I wish I wasn't so perfectionistic and systematic when it comes to my art-making process. It does get in the way. It makes people think I'm dull-minded and un-creative.
This is the dilemma of 93846897468943 artists - you're not alone! And academics too, come to that. Unabashed confidence is rare. Read The War of Art for a primer (seriously, if it catches you at the right time it's a life-changer).
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to say, i'm staggered by just how many people here are excellent artists or musicians - virtually everyone seems to be proficient in an instrument or two, with some exceptional abilities on occasion. Oxford and Cambridge have historically produced many many great artists, especially actors. Your 'creativity or academics, not both' idea doesn't appear to be true.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's worth adding that it's not only the students who are both intellectual but also creative: you can see it among the tutors too. There are some highly intelligent but extraordinarily creative academics there and I've had the pleasure of knowing and even working alongside some of them
the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Academic work at its highest levels is, in my opinion, always creative. Creativity is a basic requirement of solving a difficult problem or writing a brilliant critique; in that sense, Oxford and Cambridge require creativity of their students and staff. That said, these are both academically very traditional universities, and are not about to start offering courses in DT or Creative Writing, and the most obviously 'creative' courses - Fine Art, Music, English - have an academic emphasis. I really don't see the contradiction between high-level academia and creativity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (414)
37.77%
No - but I will (84)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (523)
47.72%

Watched Threads