Do your parents help you out with money at Uni? Watch

Emmie3303
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My parents pay my rent (but I'm going to pay them back after I graduate and get a job because I hate that they are forced to help me). Edinburgh is the next most expensive city to live in after London but we don't get extra money like Londoners so my loan isn't really enough. My parents have just sacrificed other things so I don't have to struggle on £10-20 a week. If your friend is getting full loans and grants that means she may also be getting a bursary from her university; she is really overspending if she struggles on that amount so I wouldn't worry too much. Just budget well and you'll be fine .
contra mundum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
she get max loans etc and her parents can afford to sub her £100pw I doubt that unless theres some tax cheating going down
contra mundum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
she get max loans etc and her parents can afford to sub her £100pw I doubt that unless theres some tax cheating going down
Tammiee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I get no grant and minimum loan because of the stupid system assuming that because my mum has a partner who earns loads he gives any of it to me.

I can only just afford to pay my rent with the loan and I'm left with £25 a week to pay for electric bills and food. I can't afford a tv liscence, I can't afford internet, or a phone, I can't afford to join any societies or go for a night out... EVER.

I don't think I will even be able to afford my books.

As soon as I finish my summer job in my hometown I'm going to need a job at uni.

I will have to work loads just to have half the life that some kids are just given by their parents! Your friend needs a reality check.
ScarletBeads
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, and they may be giving up paying for the things they pay for at the moment (mobile phone bill (£15), contact lenses (£10) and half of my travel (£20)).

Plus, even when they did give me money, it was more £30-50 a month, so about £7-10 a week.

Why on earth would you need £400?! Especially if you're catered? And if you have a grant (assuming that your loan should just about pay for accommodation)?
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds like she is spending a lot more than she needs to! You will be fine.

Personally I get mid-loans (get some grant but not max) plus £300 bursary from uni and £500 scholarship. Then my mum pays in £20 a month to my account and my parents usually buy something at the start of the year for me, for example in first year they bought my bus pass. I feel very lucky to have this from them, but I would certainly manage without. I will point out as well that I am not in my overdraft at all and haven't had a job while at uni until very recently (proof reading so not much money), plus I have quite expensive tastes in food!

So if I had got a job earlier/economised a little on food then I could easily have countered what I get from my parents.

Basically you'll be fine!

xxx
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Must be overspending. I'll be getting £70 a week to live on from my parents and that is quite generous compared to a lot of people I know.
planetconwy1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mum will be paying my tuition fees for me about £3,300 i think, and Im sure she will give me something like £50 a week to live on.

I get a partial loan for Maintenance about £3,500 and a grant every year of £2,221 called the Welsh Assembly Learning grant. I also get a Council Pension (from my late father) which is about £2,900 per year and Disability Living allowance which is not much at £75 per month.

So I will have enough to live on but I would rather just have no student loans or debt after uni so I can keep all my earnings for myself.
ribbon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by senator88)
Hiya, just wondering. My friend at work goes to uni and said that she gets just about all the maximum loans and grants, and her parents give her 100 quid a week, and this still isn't really enough to live on. Oh, and she is in catered accomodation as well. She said she can barely afford one night out a week. Does this sound about right?! And from what I gather her accomodation isn't paticularly expensive.
My parents can't really afford to give me 100 pound a week, I mean thats nearly the price of their rent a month. So, do your parents give you anything? She has really started to panic me.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1737295 this thread might help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads