Senior Physics Challenge 2011 Watch

Da Gamer
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
Has anyone received the further information about the programme and accomodation yet that we are due to get soon?
username791570
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IchiCC)
I did it last year. AFAIK, the course content changes from year to year, but for us the problems were very much mechanics-centric. The knowledge needed to answer them was mostly M1, with possibly a little bit of M2. There were also some questions on angular motion. The latter half of the week mainly comprised of lectures and problem solving sessions on special relativity.

The questions were much harder than your run of the mill AS (and A-level) maths questions, imo. Certainly don't expect to be able to answer all of them (well, apart from you IMO/IPhO lot - you'll probably find them a doddle ). The lectures are very fast paced, especially compared to the fairly leisurely style of most sixth form teaching, so it's quite easy to fall behind and get lost in the dark if you don't stay on top of things.

All that aside, I had a fantastic time. My advice would be to really get involved in the more social aspect of things, make friends early on and enjoy a quality week in Cambridge! Try not to graft too hard, because the organisers are mental when it comes to how much work they think they can squeeze into a week.
Thanks for the info - I like mechanics, and I think M1 is OK (we haven't started M2 yet) so I hope we get some mechanics too. I'm looking forward to the 'orbital mechanics' lecture as I like space/astronomy related physics.
username791570
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just got another E-mail linking me to some maths questions (which are a lot easier than the ones in the Quantum lecture!) which are representative of the kind of maths they expect. Has anyone finished the quantum problems yet?

There's a bit of C2, C3, FP1 and M1 in these questions - they're quite fun!
username791570
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone have any idea where I could get a reference from the SPC? I think it would go great with my application, but I've tried sending an E-mail to [email protected] but there is no reply.

Thanks, would appreciate it a lot.
Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by george7378)
Does anyone have any idea where I could get a reference from the SPC? I think it would go great with my application, but I've tried sending an E-mail to [email protected] but there is no reply.

Thanks, would appreciate it a lot.
How would you go about attaching a reference? Aren't they only reserved for your teachers? And also, although I did not go, I was accepted so from what I know, isn't it a summer school style thing with lectures? Thus, how could they write something personal (i.e. the reference) for one person?
username791570
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have to get references from outside activities for my UCAS application, and no, it's up to us to get them. I know it wouldn't be a personal one, but I was hoping for something that explains what we did, and confirming that I was there, and what was required of us, etc...
I did a course at Durham which was similar, and they sent me one.
Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by george7378)
I have to get references from outside activities for my UCAS application, and no, it's up to us to get them. I know it wouldn't be a personal one, but I was hoping for something that explains what we did, and confirming that I was there, and what was required of us, etc...
I did a course at Durham which was similar, and they sent me one.
Where the would they go on UCAS, there are no places for outside references as far as I'm aware.
username791570
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Really? Everyone at our school has been told to get an outside reference. Not sure if it's for UCAS or not, automatically thought it was!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (301)
37.44%
No - but I will (61)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (382)
47.51%

Watched Threads