How to revise when depressed? Watch

Wick3d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is the same with me. I've not been diagnosed because getting my second appointment is impossible seeing as they're fully booked for ages. I've been like this for ages but I have no formal proof. It's an awful position.
I know how you feel, but luckily for me my GP is quite understanding. I refuse to use depression as an excuse though. Don't worry you'll get past this eventually, just try and focus and think of what's important, and at the moment it's revising.

Even if you are in despair just force yourself to revise.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Comfort eat:dontknow:
TheSmithsIndeed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depression and exams suck big time but please don't let your illness rule your life. Go for a walk and listen to some music (I know you say you're exhausted but that's most likely the depression talking) then sit down and organise a revision timetable or something- give yourself some control back.
The thing that got me through and made me work was just the thought of opening my results. It also helps when you have negative thoughts to remind yourself that that's the illness speaking.
At the end of the day, these exams are coming and it's certainly not too late to put the effort in (though I totally understand that it's more easier said than done).
You have a choice, you can either succumb to depression or you can fight it. True, you can't just 'make' yourself happy but eating properly and exercising well will really help you to concentrate on the work that needs to be done.
Formica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kerily)
How do you do this, out of interest? I'm 99% sure that I have depression (I have every symptom going and have done for five years) but I don't have a formal diagnosis as my GP is ****, and I'd love to know how to tell my exam boards/school/etc.

I can't comment on why someone hasn't been diagnosed, all I can say it to be absolutely honest with the GP about everything. If that hasn't worked you can always try asking to see a different GP when you book an appointment. I don't think it helps to self-diagnose in front of the GP, since they might be more likely to consider it psychosomatic. Any lenience from education authorities will require a doctor's note.

This is the same with me. I've not been diagnosed because getting my second appointment is impossible seeing as they're fully booked for ages. I've been like this for ages but I have no formal proof. It's an awful position.
You can check if they have walk-in surgery times. This is the only way I've ever gone, in fact.
laurabrown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everything's just wrong at the moment, I'm in a hole and I don't know how to get out of it. I don't have anyone to talk to where I am either so I'm just stuck. Maybe revision would actually be a good distraction, heh.
i'm the same...they told me to take constant breaks and make notes to help you remember things,
i try and swimming just to take my mind off things.
Contacting your tutors also might help, I did the same and they have been really understanding

hope this helps
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 7 years ago
You just have to get on with it. Keeping yourself busy will make you forget about things and you'll feel good with the achievement and are more likely to achieve. Laying in bed and crying is just a massive spiral downwards. Trust me I've been there many a time.

Set small targets for yourself and have a break after each, then just get back to the next set target. You'll find you'll be revising and feeling a little better. Two birds killed with one stone :grin:

I understand its easier said than done (I've been diagnosed with depression) but just trust me on this.
*goes back to revision :work:*
toasteh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The loneliness exacerbates it all, it's the worst thing for me too, I've felt constantly lonely for about a year now and you never get used to it. There is literally no one I can think of telling though which is the issue, and I don't want to burden anyone either. Posting on here helps a bit though. Best of luck.
From what you're saying you do sound like to need someone to talk to, and I've found the very few times I've opened up (albeit never completely as I'm too shy for that) I've felt an awful lot better. I went to counselling a while back and it did help, and you don't have to get a referral to go - I went private for mine, and whilst it was £30 an hour it was still worth it in many ways, and when I couldn't afford it I went once a fortnight. Whilst a few sessions won't solve all of your issues, I'm sure having at least someone to talk to in confidentiality would be of great help. I've also had Kooth suggested to me, which is an online counselling service for teens. I've never tried it myself, but it may be something which could help you. Otherwise feel free to PM me on here if you like. I may not offer very good advice but if you feel you need someone to talk to for a while then I'm open to it.
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Formica)
I can't comment on why someone hasn't been diagnosed, all I can say it to be absolutely honest with the GP about everything. If that hasn't worked you can always try asking to see a different GP when you book an appointment. I don't think it helps to self-diagnose in front of the GP, since they might be more likely to consider it psychosomatic. Any lenience from education authorities will require a doctor's note.
Mine refused to diagnose me, or even investigate further, as apparently I'm biologically female and thus it'll all be my period. :rolleyes: I realise that nobody can e-diagnose individual cases, don't worry. I'm going to try a different doctor next time, but my area has a really bad reputation for mental health care on the whole (we had a couple of murders a while back done by known paranoid schizophrenics who the system had just sort of forgotten about) so I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't self-diagnose in front of them either, it's more along the lines of 'I have all these symptoms, something is wrong'.

I'm going to try to procure a doctor's note though, or at least get school to write to the exam boards/universities about a number of other problems I'm having; there will hopefully be some sort of help available
SQ918
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Forget the things that make you depressed.
chrissyyip
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i know EXACTLY how you feel right now. Revising can be really stressful, especially if you are depressed and you believe that you aren't understanding or taking in anything you read. Sometimes i think its best if you do something you enjoy, something which will put a smile on your face.
my YIP TIP of the day
SarmadK01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kerily)
How do you do this, out of interest? I'm 99% sure that I have depression (I have every symptom going and have done for five years) but I don't have a formal diagnosis as my GP is ****, and I'd love to know how to tell my exam boards/school/etc.
let your head of year know whats going on, they can put you in touch with a counsellor and let them now the situation with the GP and that you're taking steps to get help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads