The EU plan to wipe England off the map by merging it with France...with its own FLAG Watch

fexysucker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this anglo-franco union of sorts idea has been around since the end of the second world war

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/15/france.eu
hypocriticaljap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ion--FLAG.html

Eric Pickles last night accused the European Union of trying to ‘wipe England off the map’ by developing a new cross-Channel region, complete with its own ‘flag’.
The Cabinet Minister condemned the EU for ploughing millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money into the ‘Arc Manche’, the name given by Brussels to an ambitious attempt to merge Northern France and Southern England.
Mr Pickles, the Local Government Secretary, says he is incensed to have discovered that Eurocrats are planning to roll out a new Arc Manche ‘transnational emblem’ across England.

Still think the EU is good for us?
It isn't April Fools' day is it.
What an idiot!
Fonix
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Trolololololol
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Um, The age of British Imperial Dominance is over we really do need to get rid of this siege mentality or we're screwed.
I'm_Unsafe.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol

In the immortal words of Louis Walsh;

'I just don't get it'

Lol.
Chillaxer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dahut)
Daily Mail. Enough said.
Thats one way of looking at it. But just because it doesn't follow establishment consensus doesn't mean everything written in the thing has to be bull****. You can say fabricated, yet I could say they seek out the stories that pro-immigration or pro-EU parties wouldn't want to. I mean, have you read it? How do you know it's bull****?
Daily Mail journalists are subject different journalistic laws than others? They probably have less power to distort than the Murdoch press tbh. I have read a lot about the EU, and I neither like nor trust it. The fact the Americans such as Hillary Clinton have been rather supportive of it makes me very suspicious about it's long term effects on our independence. The history is all there about Heath lying in the past about the scope of it's ambitions and what he wanted privately. I don't know about Thatcher, people say the Tories supported the Eu's widening expansion from west to east as a strategic move to bugger the whole thing up, nevertheless they(not marginal figures in our political elites) have shown fondness for the idea in the past, and the thing isn't dead yet. I'm wary.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Meanwhile:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Doomsday.html

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4969235.ece
Fusilero
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Male_Melons)
If it goes ahead there are benefits to both sides.

Frances will accept the Queen as their head of state effectively the British rule the French. Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be like Afghanistan.

And, the French will return the favour and bring back classiness, morals etc.. to British life. At the moment, Coventry is looking like Baghdad.

Win-win.
The French have a higher immigrant population by far in comparison to Britain.
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PendulumBoB)
Um, The age of British Imperial Dominance is over we really do need to get rid of this siege mentality or we're screwed.
Nonsense, no offense, but this matters. Just hold up a second, and think about the logic of the rhetoric they feed you-

'We risk being sidelined as a global voice'
'The European superstate is in the past, won't happen, etc'
'We're not an empire any more'

This is vacuous twaddle. I really love how people have used the fact we don't own about 1/3 of the world any more, as some sort of argument that a country of 60-70million people with the arguable the world's greatest city and university, not to mention countless other marks of excellence(including a fascinating and distinguished history way before the empire) should suddenly just sign away it's sovereign without a care.(Not to mention not asking those who fought for it) This is how weak and politically crushed this generation is. We need to regain our fight, the average people that is, before these power elites just go and decide this **** for you in their arrogance.

The global voice argument is meaningless to me. What's our population now relative to the USA? About 1/5 the size at least. China's is 1300million(4+ times the US)
India roughly similar. They are rising too. Is anyone saying the US isn't going to be a global voice and has to amalgamate? No, yet the scales are similar. This argument is coming from powerful sources, not in our national interests, only individuals and other countries self-interest. Look at Japan, perfectly analogous to us. Imperial past, island off the coast of a larger block that will be powerful(China), obviously their cultures are very distinct but the principle's the same. Japan aren't bemoaning that the don't invade everywhere and tell people what to do, they have a load of soft power, and are just busy getting on with being a hugely successful country. No-one's talking about amalgamation for them, this is nonsense. I'm not giving away our sovereignty to be part of some indistinct block of Europe, uselessly governed, so they can be turned on that we sacrificed ourselves to make them what will still most likely a second fiddle player to USA, China and India. This we aren't an empire hang up is silly and we need to stop seeing everything relative to it. As for the European superstate won't happen, well I'll go back to what I said about Heath, on example of someone prominent who was lying through his teeth about it, if he can loads others will be. That's what politics is for the most.

Overall, I just think where is the drive for it coming from, and why-aren't you a tad suspicious? There's no patriotism now, everything is self-interest and corporate interests.
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do look forward to this hopefully happening as it would greatly improve my careers prospests as a circus clown thanks to the £5.5million scheme to pay for circus clowns to perform throughout the Arc Manche region.
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's absolutely absurd, imagine it- Scotland and Wales could be independent and England joins 'arc manche'. A country that has a geographical separation from us and separate history and language! Politics is a JOKE, too depressing to contemplate what these cretinous, oily toads will do next.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Total rubbish, of course. Mind you, it would be fantastic to have more French-language in our lives - French TV, radio, music etc.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chillaxer)
No-one's talking about amalgamation for them, this is nonsense. I'm not giving away our sovereignty to be part of some indistinct block of Europe, uselessly governed, so they can be turned on that we sacrificed ourselves to make them what will still most likely a second fiddle player to USA, China and India. This we aren't an empire hang up is silly and we need to stop seeing everything relative to it. As for the European superstate won't happen, well I'll go back to what I said about Heath, on example of someone prominent who was lying through his teeth about it, if he can loads others will be. That's what politics is for the most.

Overall, I just think where is the drive for it coming from, and why-aren't you a tad suspicious? There's no patriotism now, everything is self-interest and corporate interests.
I am a tad suspicious indeed. For one, it seems bizarre as there is no obvious driving force behind such moves, and for another it seems equally bizarre that anyone in power who is asked about the issue would deny it. Now, the simple explanation here is simply that what you suggest is happening is not: that you're perpetuating a conspiracy theory.
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I am a tad suspicious indeed. For one, it seems bizarre as there is no obvious driving force behind such moves, and for another it seems equally bizarre that anyone in power who is asked about the issue would deny it. Now, the simple explanation here is simply that what you suggest is happening is not: that you're perpetuating a conspiracy theory.
Well I'm suspicious of the EU naturally, as from the people within supporting it, they maybe think a superstate is a dream, I don't know about conspiracy theory, but what Heath did was proven, and the idea has hardly gone in Europe. Regardless of motive, I still think it's obvious that the arguments put forth are unconvincing at best. I think it'll be disasterous for us.
Brandmon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What? Should I laugh at this or should I feel sorry that this is one one of the country's leading news site? :confused:

Would the French even consider such a thing?
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
With their croissants and our crumpets we will take over the world!
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
they maybe think a superstate is a dream, I don't know about conspiracy theory, but what Heath did was proven, and the idea has hardly gone in Europe.
What did Heath do that irks you?

Moreover, what do you think the fundamental differences between having a federal European superstate would be to what we have now?
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nonsense, no offense, but this matters. Just hold up a second, and think about the logic of the rhetoric they feed you-

'We risk being sidelined as a global voice'
'The European superstate is in the past, won't happen, etc'
'We're not an empire any more'

This is vacuous twaddle. I really love how people have used the fact we don't own about 1/3 of the world any more, as some sort of argument that a country of 60-70million people with the arguable the world's greatest city and university, not to mention countless other marks of excellence(including a fascinating and distinguished history way before the empire) should suddenly just sign away it's sovereign without a care.(Not to mention not asking those who fought for it) This is how weak and politically crushed this generation is. We need to regain our fight, the average people that is, before these power elites just go and decide this **** for you in their arrogance.

The global voice argument is meaningless to me. What's our population now relative to the USA? About 1/5 the size at least. China's is 1300million(4+ times the US)
India roughly similar. They are rising too. Is anyone saying the US isn't going to be a global voice and has to amalgamate? No, yet the scales are similar. This argument is coming from powerful sources, not in our national interests, only individuals and other countries self-interest. Look at Japan, perfectly analogous to us. Imperial past, island off the coast of a larger block that will be powerful(China), obviously their cultures are very distinct but the principle's the same. Japan aren't bemoaning that the don't invade everywhere and tell people what to do, they have a load of soft power, and are just busy getting on with being a hugely successful country. No-one's talking about amalgamation for them, this is nonsense. I'm not giving away our sovereignty to be part of some indistinct block of Europe, uselessly governed, so they can be turned on that we sacrificed ourselves to make them what will still most likely a second fiddle player to USA, China and India. This we aren't an empire hang up is silly and we need to stop seeing everything relative to it. As for the European superstate won't happen, well I'll go back to what I said about Heath, on example of someone prominent who was lying through his teeth about it, if he can loads others will be. That's what politics is for the most.

1. Worlds 3rd greatest University more like

2. What's a distiguished history worth in todays world?

3. Just because some guys fought some other guys many years ago to maintain sovereignty, it doesn't mean that being part of a wider superstate should be off the table.

4. It's not so much population as it is GDP

5. GDP again. Forecasts for Japan's GDP predict quite a fall from grace for it.

6. National Pride is b******s; pride for my own achievements yes, prie for those of my family maybe, but pride for those whom I have never met, just because of the bond of the lottery of birth don't be silly.

7. EU for coporate interest? If anything it (to an extent) shields us from the rampant capitalism of China and other developing nations whose own corporations exploite their own people, such that our own companies can't compete lest we start rolling back minimum wage and worker protection legislation.
Nightstar-27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PendulumBoB)
1. Worlds 3rd greatest University more like

2. What's a distiguished history worth in todays world?

3. Just because some guys fought some other guys many years ago to maintain sovereignty, it doesn't mean that being part of a wider superstate should be off the table.

4. It's not so much population as it is GDP

5. GDP again. Forecasts for Japan's GDP predict quite a fall from grace for it.

6. National Pride is b******s; pride for my own achievements yes, prie for those of my family maybe, but pride for those whom I have never met, just because of the bond of the lottery of birth don't be silly.

7. EU for coporate interest? If anything it (to an extent) shields us from the rampant capitalism of China and other developing nations whose own corporations exploite their own people, such that our own companies can't compete lest we start rolling back minimum wage and worker protection legislation.
1) I'm pretty sure cambridge was the worlds top university in 2010

2)A lot of tourism with which come money.

3)No comment but people may be offended by that comment.

4) Our GDP is still pretty high last time I checked, even without any real growth recently.

5) Japan just had a very bad disaster of course its GDP is going to suffer. This has nothing to do with its sovereignty.

6) I think national pride is more about the things the country as a whole does rather than the individuals of that country. However this is a very opinion based argument

7) in what way is this a threat to us and in what way are they shielding us?
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nightstar-27)
1) I'm pretty sure cambridge was the worlds top university in 2010
It was, and don't forget UCL in 4th, Oxford in 6th and ICL in 7th! We have more in the top seven than America!!! We have 19 in the top 100, the rest of the EU combined has 16. Suck on that Brussels!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed