how do you make a relationship last? Watch

PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Casshern1456)
I don't think seeing each other everyday means you'll eventually marry them, a relationship can last w/o seeing eachother everyday.
You're missing the point. That's not what I was getting at.

I meant that married couples tend to see each other every day, because, obviously, most married couples live together.

So by your definition, a married couple is bound to break up eventually because they're breaking your taboo rule of seeing each other every day!
lonelykatana
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bethanysmith)
five years since we were twelve... make sure you dont see each other everyday, i see my bf twice a week which means we are never short of things to talk about, go on long walks when its sunny and watch films when its cold, dont fall into a routine though or you'll soon get bored...
I dont agree with that one. Me and my girlfriend seem to argue more when we dont see eachother then when we do.
I'd rather be bored and have nothing to say while with her, than not be with her at all

But each relationship needs its own things to keep it strong so each to their own. There is no real answer OP...
bethanysmith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
so....I take it you don't plan on marrying this guy then.
yeah, but that's irrelevant. she asked how to make a relationship work not a marriage. seeing as im seventeen i dont plan on getting married anytime soon anyway
The TSR Star.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lonelykatana)
I dont agree with that one. Me and my girlfriend seem to argue more when we dont see eachother then when we do.
I'd rather be bored and have nothing to say while with her, than not be with her at all

But each relationship needs its own things to keep it strong so each to their own. There is no real answer OP...
the comfortable silence
Casshern1456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
You're missing the point. That's not what I was getting at.

I meant that married couples tend to see each other every day, because, obviously, most married couples live together.

So by your definition, a married couple is bound to break up eventually because they're breaking your taboo rule of seeing each other every day!
I don't think so it will depend on the couples, but as mostly young people (16-25) uses TSR they have a busy life, uni, work, social life etc my point is we couldn't spend so much time together when we're young we have plenty of time for that when we're older and settled.
bethanysmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lonelykatana)

well every couple i know that saw each other every day has split up, our way of doing things has worked for us seeing as we are the longest lasting in our school. obviously its different with different people but its how it works with me
The TSR Star.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah, but that's irrelevant. she asked how to make a relationship work not a marriage. seeing as im seventeen i dont plan on getting married anytime soon anyway
I don't think not seeing each other everyday makes a relationship work fundamentally.
bethanysmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i see my boyfriend everyday and we are never short of things to talk about.....
, and you are at the same school?
lonelykatana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The TSR Star.)
the comfortable silence
Exactly that
lonelykatana
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well every couple i know that saw each other every day has split up, our way of doing things has worked for us seeing as we are the longest lasting in our school. obviously its different with different people but its how it works with me
Fair enough then As long as its working for you!
My girlfriend and I are also the longest lasting relationship in our school
Anonymous #1
Report 7 years ago
, and you are at the same school?
yes, not school - uni We see each other everyday and then spend at least 3 evenings a week together alone in halls and we tend to end up together and with friends on the other nights. And we're nowhere near breaking up.

i think your opinion that if you see each other everyday, your relationship will fail is flawed...
ScarletMoon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good SEX
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well....I disagree with you.

And I've been in my relationship nearly 10 years, so I'm not too badly up on knowing what makes a relationship work

(P.S. I got engaged at 17 :-P )

Each to their own though. You're entitled to your own opinion.

To actually answer the OPs question, I think a major factor in making a relationship work, is not to let the sun go down on your anger. Don't go to bed without having first resolving any conflicts you've been having - even if that means staying up half the night talking it through.
Harry.C
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Domestic Violence - because a man shouldn't have to repeat himself.
bethanysmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
yes, not school - uni We see each other everyday and then spend at least 3 evenings a week together alone in halls and we tend to end up together and with friends on the other nights. And we're nowhere near breaking up.

i think your opinion that if you see each other everyday, your relationship will fail is flawed...
i didnt say it would fail at all how do YOU make a relationship last was the question, and i gave my answer , im in the same lesson as my bf so we see each other in a schooly sense most days but out of school i see him twice a week. we used to see each other every day in years 7-11 cos we were in all the same lessons but we dont anymore and our relationship is much better, i was only giving my opinion.
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've been with my husband for 17 years and imo the key thing is communication.We always talk things through and consult each other about things.In the beginning he lived in a different country for work ( RAF) but we worked to keep things going, which wasnt that difficult to be honest.It sounds corny but we are one together.Saying that we do have our own lives too.

Staying together ( for us) isnt hard, it just sort of happens.
Xhotas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't be afraid to argue.

Argue leads to anger.
Anger leads to passion.
Passion leads to sex.

^ Just don't get worked up over the small thing. If something pisses you off, mention it first, don't make a big deal out of it. If it carries on, speak up, don't let the other person walk all over you. Then grab them by the hip and thrust them against the wall in the heat of the moment.
JaiiStarh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well to be fair,I haven't had many long relationships But I know what has been going wrong.

I get bored really easily,and I need someone to keep me on my toes. I actually enjoy surprising my partner in whatever way I can But when it comes to finding a guy who can return the favor and keep me entertained, I experience difficulties. That is why I am a lonely old witch at the moment *Sigh*
jessie6693
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't bottle up your feelings, if they are bad/ good whatever. Just remember there should always be mutual respect. If he doesn't respect you, or if you don't respect him, eventually the relationship will end badly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads