Apple's Chinese workers are treated like slaves to meet Western Demand for ipods etc. Watch

Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by humanrights)
westerners should be doing these jobs instead the greedy corporations are giving them to the chinese.

how sick is that.

westerners should refuse to buy foreign made goods.
I have never heard anything that makes such beautiful economical sense in my entire life.
humanrights
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
I have never heard anything that makes such beautiful economical sense in my entire life.

gutting the industrial capacity of the west makes sense does it?
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why single out apple for this? Foxconn make things for many other tech companies too, including Dell for example.
DirtyPrettyThing
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tommyjw)
How can we help? .. Maybe there's an app for it.
Nah mate, just join a Facebook group in opposition to it. That will force the problem to go away instantly!!
Young Spade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ted-inhumanely

I guess most of you already knew this, but I thought I be a pain in the ass and bring it up again
Just goes to show the shocking disregard of human rights of workers in China just to keep up with Western Demand.
Us leading a nice lifestyle and owning luxurious goods comes at a price due to the Capatilistic society we live in - where people just take advantage of others for big profit. Theres nothing good with Communism either exactly because of this. Both systems are as bad as they can get.

The workers getting paid 65p an hour for working more than 60 hours a week is just truly shocking.
When I look at my ipod, I just see a tool which has been made at the price of human blood, sweat and tear...literally.
Meh, this happens with a LOT of companies, not just Apple. It isn't... .well i don't know for sure because I'm just an American consumer, however I don't think their actual jurisdiction (of the US companies) really has an impact on the living/working conditions of the people overseas.

I mean yes, in a way it does, governing pay and allocating money to the people that might need it, however you have to remember that companies only care about the bottom line, that's what matters. Customer service, aesthetics, reputation... these are just some of the things that ultimately lead to a better bottom line.

Does this justify the conditions that workers overseas have to endure? Like hell it does. Will it change anytime soon? Like hell it will.

^That last paragraph was nice.
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chinas fault and nobody elses.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the production capacity of the west was deliberately moved to china so corporations could boost their short term profits.

46 million americans are living below poverty line. america ( and the west) has gutted its economy.

don't feel sorry for the chinese. the government could introduce western style labour standards whenever it wanted to, only it will not because it wants to continue to steal the production capacity of the west.
Western poverty lines are a joke compared to actual "poverty". The name is highly misleading. While I was "living in poverty" (I think I may still be living in poverty actually) we had 4 TV's, 3 computers, broadband, various MP3 players/smartphones etc. and rarely struggled to eat well.

All poverty means in the West is you are less well off than most in the country (sticking with my example above, we couldn't afford a car, holidays etc.).
RedGuy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The trouble with companies like Apple is they don't make anything at all. They hire other companies to make their hardware in China for dirt cheap, and therefore have little control over working conditions. Apple always deny they know about the awful working conditions, which is obviously a shameful lie. The Apple vs Foxconn story pops up every few months, and both parties say there will be change but nothing ever happens. It's quite sickening how companies like Apple, Primark and Nike operate. They are just as bad as the oil companies, but they are never identified in the same group as they can wiggle their way about by denying any knowledge of the working conditions.

Companies like Samsung, Sony, LG, HTC and MSI make a lot of their own hardware and manufacture the final product in their own countries. They have control over all working conditions which is why they can't get up to similar dirty tactics. Unfortunately that's not always true and they have to outsource products from China with similar working conditions to Foxconn, maybe even worse.

Please don't make Apple look like the innocent little child who knew nothing. They are just as bad as Foxconn. This story has been cropping up every few months for 2 years now, and nothing ever changes. If Apple wanted to do something, they could EASILY move production to South Korea or another country with good working conditions.

I suppose I'm the biggest hypocrite here after that rant since a lot of products in my house are manufactured in China, but then it's easier for me to turn a blind eye than a company such as Apple or Nike.
damidude
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Doing this in sociology.
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by damidude)
Doing this in sociology.
Then you're just as bad as Apple, shame on you!
humanrights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
Western poverty lines are a joke compared to actual "poverty". The name is highly misleading. While I was "living in poverty" (I think I may still be living in poverty actually) we had 4 TV's, 3 computers, broadband, various MP3 players/smartphones etc. and rarely struggled to eat well.

All poverty means in the West is you are less well off than most in the country (sticking with my example above, we couldn't afford a car, holidays etc.).

are you american?
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

That isn't poverty. Not relative or anything.
Also, if you could afford all that, then you cannot claim you couldn't afford a car or holidays. You just spent your money on other things.
There are millions of people in both the US and the UK that are struggling to make ends meet. They are struggling to eat well. They are under risk of being kicked out onto the street.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
are you american?
No, but as the poverty line is a defined level of income relative to the country, I don't imagine it's much different. Obviously some people struggle a lot more than I did, but it's not at the level people envisage when the word "poverty" is used - especially in relation to countries like this and large parts of Africa.

Though if you are American you probably know more than me - any sources for it?
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
That isn't poverty. Not relative or anything.
Also, if you could afford all that, then you cannot claim you couldn't afford a car or holidays. You just spent your money on other things.
There are millions of people in both the US and the UK that are struggling to make ends meet. They are struggling to eat well. They are under risk of being kicked out onto the street.
I know it's not poverty - that was my entire argument. It is officially defined as poverty by the government, making the "xx" people are living in poverty statistics pretty meaningless.

No we couldn't afford a car - those things don't come close to the cost of a car. Holiday is debatable as you can get cheap deals, but it would have to paid for by raiding childrens savings accounts - something that isn't really realistic when planning your finances.

Millions of people in the UK struggling to make ends meet? Say's who? Struggling in relation to the rest of the country yes, struggling in relation to millions across Africa etc. I find very hard to believe.
humanrights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, but as the poverty line is a defined level of income relative to the country, I don't imagine it's much different. Obviously some people struggle a lot more than I did, but it's not at the level people envisage when the word "poverty" is used - especially in relation to countries like this and large parts of Africa.

Though if you are American you probably know more than me - any sources for it?

american poverty might not be as bad as african poverty but it is still a lot worse than in europe. it can still be said to be poverty.

the vast sprawling ghettos and expanding tent cities are things that are not seen at present in europe.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
american poverty might not be as bad as african poverty but it is still a lot worse than in europe. it can still be said to be poverty.

the vast sprawling ghettos and expanding tent cities are things that are not seen at present in europe.
I'd like your opinion on how the hell people in American lack water, shelter, education and such.
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Well, thats debatable for some areas of Europe (people always assume countries like the UK/Germany/France etc. are representative of the whole continent - not at all) but I take your point. The problem here is there is no proper definition of "poverty". In my mind, it is the worst of the worst - and I wouldn't call living in a tent in an LA park poverty, but as I said, it's subjective.

I do find it pretty sickening that this is allowed to go on in the richest country in the world though. I know a lot of American's couldn't care less what "meddling foreigners" think - but I'd be disgusted if it was allowed to get like this in the UK.
Sendaii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
westerners should refuse to buy foreign made goods.
Good luck.
JunoThePaycock
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Poverty is relative. Having been to China, Korea and Japan I can tell you that they have a completely different attitude to work than us lazy, fat westerners (words used by a Korean student). The Chinese are still a developing nation but they will soon overtake america as the biggest economy in the world. Slave labour has always been part of the process of becoming a 'developed' nation, just look at britain during the industrial revolution. Its f**ckin awful and I dont agree with it but guaranteed the chinese will be ones laughing in a 10 years time.
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is only the result of free market capitalism. It is always the worker who ends up being exploited for cheap labour.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (254)
38.84%
No - but I will (45)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.09%

Watched Threads