Less immigration "saves Denmark Billions". Watch

Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Most immigrants are not talented or have nationally important skills - they are largely unskilled third world labourers looking for jobs, and undercut British workers in the process. Migrants that we actually want already get through the system because, shock horror, they are useful to the economy.

We should severely crack down on illegal immigration at Dover, Folkestone and Ramsgate (where almost all of it occurs) and any asylum seeker who has passed through at least one other developed country should be refused entry. Any asylum seeker who does not have any proof to their case other than their word should be denied entry. Any asylum seeker who's application is being processed should be interned, and if denied they should be immediately deported. Sorry folks but the world's **** and I refuse to accept that we should have an open door policy. The door is now so open and has been for so long that it's falling off it's hinges.

England is overpopulated and parts of it's infrastructure are severely strained, let alone it's natural environment. We cannot afford to accommodate mass immigration.
You really have become a realist haha. You always seemed a bit more of an idealist and and optimist to me.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
You really have become a realist haha. You always seemed a bit more of an idealist and and optimist to me.
Yeah . . . I think it's just hit me how frakked up the world really is, at least to an extent. I'm sure my cynicism will become sharper and more jaded in time
God_X
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Immigrants should **** off back to their own country. What do they have to benefit to British society, especially since most of them aren't even Christian? They're trying to take over our heritage and our culture.
Muscovite
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Funny how a recent report by the Adam Smith institute said that in the case of the UK, immigrants contribute more in tax revenue than they take in public services/benefits.

Just saying.
CombineHarvester
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
I don't think it is harming the economy but I do think it is harming socially. I don't think there is enough being done to ensure you don't end up with very insular communities, which are very common in London and other suburban areas. I think more emphasis should be placed on integration and eduction of new immigrants.
Yes but "social problems" are very subjective and difficult to verify. In plenty of areas with high immigrant/ethnic minority communities polls show that locals are happy and believe that people of different ethnic backgrounds get on well, in Newham (which is the most diverse borough and has the highest immigrant population in the UK) 86% of people believe that people from different backgrounds get on well together. In areas up north with high unemployment, poverty and poor educational attainment coupled with a large immigrant/ethnic minority population you tend to get social problems emerge, e.g. Luton and the EDL (who are largely young, working class, white men).

In France heavy emphasis has been placed on what you've suggested, officially there is no French ethnicity only a French nationality and ethnicity/religion are not recognised in public so the government does not discriminate or keep statistics on such issues. French identity and the language is heavily promoted there, English songs are largely banned from the radio for example and French songs are played instead. Immigrants are expected to know how to speak French and embrace their adopted French identity, the expression of other non-French cultures is discouraged. However, it hasn't worked and the social problems which exist in France relating to immigrants are far worse than the UK, riots have regularly broken out in French ghettos (for example when police killed a young French male of North African ethnicity) and the Front Nationale are leading the polls in terms of popularity. This indicates that you need to ensure that policies are put in place which encourage the domestic population to accept migrants and not enforce Britishness upon migrants at the expense of their native culture.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Muscovite)
Funny how a recent report by the Adam Smith institute said that in the case of the UK, immigrants contribute more in tax revenue than they take in public services/benefits.

Just saying.
The only numbers game in this debate should be about how many immigrants we let into this country every year, but if you really want to go down this line then there is one quite obvious riposte to this. Legal immigration requires that you have funds in your bank account that will support you whilst seeking work, or no intentions to seek work and claim benefits, or a job waiting for you in this country. Ergo, more immigrants are employed than born citizens. Ergo immigrants contribute more per capita in tax revenue.

If immigration was lowered then the millions of Brits out of work, most of whom are not the bone-idlers that left-wingers love to portray them as, would have more opportunities to fill job vacancies and would contribute more in tax revenue per capita than at present.
Fallen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The argument is rendered invalid by the notion that it would cost less than or equal to £1bn to convert to 100% renewables.
Complex Simplicity
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by doggyfizzel)
I don't think it is harming the economy but I do think it is harming socially. I don't think there is enough being done to ensure you don't end up with very insular communities, which are very common in London and other suburban areas. I think more emphasis should be placed on integration and eduction of new immigrants.
Tbh I think if you're living in a different country and taken up citizenship, you should at the very minimum speak the language. I think its absurd that you have people who've lived here for decades and have made no attempt to learn the language. It doesn't help with integration at all.

How would you present insulated communities given that education at present is essentially full on 'we are all together' propaganda yet seems to be failing at creating integration?
CombineHarvester
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If immigration was lowered then the millions of Brits out of work, most of whom are not the bone-idlers that left-wingers love to portray them as, would have more opportunities to fill job vacancies and would contribute more in tax revenue per capita than at present.
What evidence is there to support this? The long term unemployment problem we have in this country is structural and geographic, obviously legal migrants need skills and they're willing to relocate so it's unsurprising these two forms of unemployment don't affect such people. There's been areas of England where there's been high long term unemployment for decades now, particularly in northern towns and cities. Relatively new immigrants have still managed to go such areas and find employment (albeit work which is poorly paid, has very long, unsociable hours and is physically demanding). In areas such as Oldham or Luton which also fall into this category, the areas with high rates of migrants tend to have a more vibrant micro-economy than parts of the city without.
Elbonian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fwed1)
We take in a lot of asylum seekers and their large families who then proceed to live of benefits for a long time as they are often unskilled and some speak no english.
Unfortunately in some cases asylum seekers genuinely need a home. It either means a small inconvenience for taxpayers, or further turmoil in the lives of the asylum seekers. As long as the immigrants make a contribution to the economy e.g. by means of small enterprise, I don't see the problem.
Elbonian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only numbers game in this debate should be about how many immigrants we let into this country every year, but if you really want to go down this line then there is one quite obvious riposte to this. Legal immigration requires that you have funds in your bank account that will support you whilst seeking work, or no intentions to seek work and claim benefits, or a job waiting for you in this country. Ergo, more immigrants are employed than born citizens. Ergo immigrants contribute more per capita in tax revenue.

Could you elaborate?
OdinsThunder
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CombineHarvester)
Thing about the immigration debate is that hardly any of the complaints towards immigrants are based on fact. It's based on tabloid headlines and anecdotes. If someone provided genuine evidence that migrants were harming the economy for example rather than just assuming it to be true then we might get somewhere.
It's all here.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/
Bulbasaur
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by effofex)
I bet I could get into Denmark really easily.
Yeah, you can just move there. No problem. I'm not joking either. Just like anyone from anywhere else in the EU can just spontaneously move here, and nothing would stop them. Nothing at all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads