I've made up my mind, Im going to learn with an automatic :D Watch

SpriteOrSevenUp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iainthegreat)
Yeah, it all means a great deal to me.

Almost as much as my star wars figurine collection and my world of warcraft account.

I'm so cool. :yep:

Spoiler:
Show
I don't actually have any most of these things...
PMSL AHAHAHA!!!!! I love the correction you made in your spoiler...true stories bro ahahah
Hazular
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well done, you made a decision.
Now go away, because no-one cares.
iainthegreat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp)
PMSL AHAHAHA!!!!! I love the correction you made in your spoiler...true stories bro ahahah

But in all seriousness everyone says I am actually one of the coolest people they know at my local games workshop...
jackmyswag
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good on you, if that's what you want to do. Some people just find driving harder than others, surely it's better to have comfortable automatic drivers on the road than some nervous wreck driving a manual? I'm hopeless at driving and wouldn't be surprised if one day soon I end up opting for learning automatic. I don't care what other people think, cause why does it matter? For me, a car is something to get from A to B, not to show everyone how amazing and skilled and ****ing boss I am.
imabigboynow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Hazular)
Well done, you made a decision.
Now go away, because no-one cares.
why dont you find a razor to cut yourself with since your so bored to comment on a thread you dont care about.
imabigboynow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by jackmyswag)
Good on you, if that's what you want to do. Some people just find driving harder than others, surely it's better to have comfortable automatic drivers on the road than some nervous wreck driving a manual? I'm hopeless at driving and wouldn't be surprised if one day soon I end up opting for learning automatic. I don't care what other people think, cause why does it matter? For me, a car is something to get from A to B, not to show everyone how amazing and skilled and ****ing boss I am.
<3

Ive had 12 lessons in manual and i just didint like it. I speak to a lot of guys in america and driving autos is the normal thing to do. IMO we shouldnt be frowned opon for driving automatics. as long as we get from A to B then who cares what people think right? but gl what ever you do
Hazular
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imabigboynow)
why dont you find a razor to cut yourself with since your so bored to comment on a thread you dont care about.
I ran out, all the ones I had are too blunt now. Sorry to disappoint.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seriously can some tell me the point of learning to drive manual if the vast majority of people drive and will drive automatic?
MissClumsy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know you might find it hard learning in a mannual, but once you've grasped the concept of it, it's easier and you'll thank yourself for it in the long run. Besides, when you have a mannual licencse, you can choose what transmission you want. No one forces you to only drive a mannual afterwards if you don't like it.

But at the end of the day, it's up to you.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know if the American driving license has a differentiation between auto and manual tests? If it doesn't then that would explain it - most people learning in an auto because it's easier and doesn't restrict them if they do actually need to drive a manual at some point - but ending up driving only auto because manual is too daunting/hard?

I wouldn't turn down an auto car if I the perfect one came up (I have owned an auto car before, in fact) but I would probably rather it were manual. My Range Rover would have been a lot more fun if it were manual - V8s are a bit boring if you don't have full control over them
loz957
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
But changing gears every minute is an enjoyable experience when you can do it well. Slipping from third into fourth and hear the exhaust growl as the engine picks up the drive at low revs is simply wonderful and you can't really do it in an auto :/
Manually changing gears is nothing more than an unnecessary chore.
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, its completely up to you what you want to do. Since you have already made up a decision, I don't see what you want from us. If you were still deciding, you could be asking for suggestions, but this isn't the case.

If you still want opinions on that:

I would never learn on an automatic. If you learn on automatic you will only be able to drive automatic cars whereas if you learn on a manual you can drive both. If you are living in London and will be driving around congested areas, then automatic is the way to go really.
Rascacielos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it gets me from a to b, its easier, and my left foot doesnt shake around when i drive. I plan to buy a honda accord 1.8l 2002 5 dr this summer for 2k... let the flaming begin
I wouldn't. If you learn to drive in an automatic, you can't ever drive a manual (unless you retake your driving test). Sure, automatics are easier - *cough* lazy driving *cough* - but at least learn to drive the proper way and then buy an automatic as your first car. At least then, if you ever needed to drive a manual you'd be able to.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by loz957)
Manually changing gears is nothing more than an unnecessary chore.
I'm also a photographer. Are you the kind of person that thinks you can take the same quality photo on a compact in automatic mode as you can on a professional SLR when you're in full control? With a compact automatic camera the camera makes the decisions for you. This will create an adequate image, but not a particularly good one, and it isn't either fulfilling or fun if you enjoy photography and know how to operate a camera. Being in full control of the camera (while over the heads of most of the population) allows you to take much better images because you're far better than the camera is at working light levels and focus point out, let alone things like depth of field, shutter speed, flash sync or lighting.

Cars are the same. If you don't care about driving then you can let the car do it for you. If you enjoy driving and can change gears well then it becomes second nature most of the time, and an actively pleasant experience when you get into it. If you see changing gears as too much effort then frankly, you're monumentally lazy. You also gain a lot of control from being in control of the gearbox, in the same way that it's much easier to make the camera do as you want when its in a manual mode.

Say you're coming off a roundabout in third gear, you accelerate to the revs where you'd normally change gear. The automatic would change gear, but you can see that there's another roundabout/junction ahead. In a manual you just take your foot off the throttle and you still get moderate engine braking, slowing you down quite a lot before you get to the junction. The auto would require using a lot more braking and would have to shift down again quite soon, also increasing wear on the gearbox components compared to not having changed gear. Minimal in this instance, but over a few thousand miles all that extra (and unnecessary)gear changing in the auto adds up to a lot of wear.
User570431
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Who doesn't like changing gears :lol:
lordash
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I plan to buy a honda accord 1.8l 2002 5 dr this summer for 2k...
You do realise that you will be looking to pay around £5k insurance a year for that, unless you are over 25. Generally, best to get a 1.2 or less for a first time driver because of the insurance group, and then upgrade to something more powerful when you have had your licence for a bit and built up some no claims discount.

Anyway, I recommend learning in a manual, learning how to use the clutch and gears may be extra work, but when you get used to it you really don't have to think about it too much. Just need to practise a bit of clutch control in your spare time, and you will be fine
username461215
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
2 words:
big
mistake
Shroob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Manual all the way..... how else will you be able to pretend to be in 'The Fast and the furious' movies? Without gear changes the movies would be 20 minutes long.
Freerider101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
You can drive automatic with a manual license can't drive manual with an automatic license.

Seriously though manual isn't hard.
I've heard this but I can't see where on my license where it says "auto / manual"
lordash
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Freerider101)
I've heard this but I can't see where on my license where it says "auto / manual"
I think you get one of those number codes printed on the back if it is an automatic licence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads